The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

CalendarLog inHomeRegisterGalleryFAQ
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Battleday Sep 21, 2019
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby hachleopard2 Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» Clark's Recoil Kit
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm

» Grease and Gears!
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 pm

» Battle Weekend Sept. 6-7-8 Are you in???
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby treemagnet Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:15 pm

» Tanker of the Year Points Standings 2019
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:29 am

» Christian Ludwig Fire
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby knispel Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 am

» The Japanese Tiger Tank
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Negaduck Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:09 pm

» Full Scale Plastic Tiger I
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:30 pm

» another new truck for you guys
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Airbrushler Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:15 pm

Top posting users this month
knispel
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 I_vote_lcapConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 I_voting_barConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
Jarlath
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 I_vote_lcapConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 I_voting_barConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
Airbrushler
MikeC
Shoveler74
dgsselkirk
Strato50
Negaduck
Stince
kaptain Jack

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 2:09 am

Glen B wrote:
Very impressive job on the front drivers vision port.

I second that Razz

I wouldn't be anxious to try that, what with my stubby fingers and all. let alone make it functional, that looks great.

dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2014 10:26 pm

Well boys, the vision port is going to be static, sorry! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_cry Once I put the vision port glass block in to test fit there is no real way to make it function as the glass block cannot rotate to go back inside the tank which I would need it to do. On the real thing my understanding is you push the cover up into position and then slide the glass block up into position. Of course I can't do that so fixed it is.
On the otherhand with the periscope glass block in it does look very accurate in that it fills the hole completely like the real thing...
AttachmentsConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Filevision port 3.jpg (44.08 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Filevision port 4.jpg (44.86 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Filevision port 5.jpg (44.43 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Filevision port 6.jpg (41.59 KiB) Not viewed yet

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2014 10:41 pm

While messing around with the back end and relocating the large stowage boxes I thought I would fit the Notek convoy light on the bottom of the bin. I got this little light a couple of months ago from Germany. I took it apart and installed "glass" (clear plastic) and paintd the top green and the bottom red. On the real thing there is a flap that flips up and down to cover one or the other light panels. Depending on what It looks like when I light it up I might put it on but if it looks cool with all the colours lit I will simulate the cover ripped off! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_e_biggrin

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 83.jpg (70.48 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 84.jpg (71.29 KiB) Not viewed yet

Next I wanted to add the final bracing to the upper hull and that is done. I used an aluminum strip screwed into the sides to help pull them a little closer and super glue under the ceter section. Once that was done somemore 2 part epoxy the secure it permanently...

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 85.jpg (50.44 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 86.jpg (53.77 KiB) Not viewed yet

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2014 11:45 pm

so now started work on the back deck. This is going to take a while! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_wtf

the pictures pretty much speak for themselves. Cut 2 panels, glued on scale drawing,

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 87.jpg (44.66 KiB) Not viewed yet

rough cut the holes,

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 88.jpg (56.92 KiB) Not viewed yet

Started building and fitting styrene for the grills, attached the circular fan covers I got from the famous "pantiger" upper hull I bought for peanuts. These are actually the correct covers for the "A" and are very,very close to correct scale.

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 89.jpg (50.3 KiB) Not viewed yet

I used paper thin styrene to represent the thin bolt on plates for each section and added bolts in position

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 90.jpg (45.63 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 91.jpg (44.97 KiB) Not viewed yet

I remember it was either on this forum or one of the others there was a big argument about how many bolts were on the antenna housing on the Panther. Some said 3, some said 4. Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_crazy
From my research on the D's and A's if the antenna housing had a little edge rounded to go around the adjacent fan covers it has 3 bolts. If the antenna housing was perfectly round (As on most G's) it had 4. So as you can see here I did 3 which matches the Munster Panther "A" which I am using for a lot of reference on the decks.

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 92.jpg (49.49 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 93.jpg (48.25 KiB) Not viewed yet

So I figure it will take me a week to finish these back deck sections and this weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving so we are going away so it may be a couple of weeks before I do a new update....
It's coming together though! Most of the really tough structural stuff is done. I know the angle of the bottom glacis plate is wrong but I really don't want to mess with the lower hull too much so I think I will leave it for now. Sorry rivet counters! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_e_biggrin

Back to top Go down
Airbrushler
General
General
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 12:17 am

Nice Work Dean

dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 11:33 pm

Thanks Greg! Smile

Well, I wasn't going to post anything for a while but after about 5 hours work I finally finished one side panels with the grills! Yippee!!!

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 97.jpg (54.7 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 98.jpg (49.43 KiB) Not viewed yet

Now I still have to do some finishing on them but it's just minor details. Before I did the one end I also test fitted my screens made out of a kitchen splatter cover for a frying pan. They will have small frames fitted around them out of copper wire or styrene I haven't decided.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 96.jpg (56.5 KiB) Not viewed yet

Also I re-did the air intake hole. Here is the original way it was from my other Panther
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Fileair intake hole original.jpg (52.43 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Fileair intake hole original 2.jpg (37.88 KiB) Not viewed yet

and my replacement
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 94.jpg (58.2 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 95.jpg (61.07 KiB) Not viewed yet

While grills were drying I decided to see if my Notek light worked so I plugged it into my Sherman LED in it so even though I did put in green glass it still comes up red so I think I will put the cover on the top the way it would have been done on the real thing.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 99.jpg (41.11 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 100.jpg (35.05 KiB) Not viewed yet

That's it for now! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_e_biggrin

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 am

And so we continue.... Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_e_biggrin

I thought it was time to do the hatches. I was not looking forward to it because I wanted to make them sort of operational but easy enough if one got snapped off during battle it would be easy to fix.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 101.jpg (46.51 KiB) Viewed 1 time

I also wanted to make it sort of look like the real thing so I needed a tube that would have an inner tube to slide up and down and what I came up with was the end of a syringe cut off and mounted to look like the main support tube on the real thing.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 102.jpg (54.49 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 103.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 104.jpg (38.59 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Then I used a thinned down piece of copper tube that fits nice and snug in the syringe end.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 105.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 1 time

well I waited for the superglue to dry thought I would add the lift handles. Now, this is a trick I use to mount my handles. I don't think I have shown it before. Sometimes getting the holes right for the handles can be tough. you make them too narrow so you have to bend the handle ends in to fit in the holes or too wide and you have to open up the handle too much and it doesn't look right so here is what I do. Make your perfect shaped handle out of a paper clip and have the ends longer than they should be so they will go into the plastic. Drill one small hole for one end of the handle to go in as a guide. Don't drill it deep just a small hole to seat the end in. Now, gently touch a hot soldering iron to it and put some slight pressure on it and it will start to go down into the plastic. Watch your depth so they don't go too far in. Once you have it right and have stopped applying heat you will find that it is pretty sturdy and shouldn't need glue. Also you can see a little of the melted plastic pushes up around the handle so you can score this with an xacto knife and it will look like weld bead! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_e_biggrin
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 106.jpg (32.37 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Now I wanted to make the stops so some 2mm styrene and some sturdy brass sheet and got to work on them. I used a saw to make a split down the plastic on the ends of a long piece then cut it in half to make the 2 stops. The brass I drew the rough shape on and formed it with a dremel on slow with the piece held in hobby forceps.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 107.jpg (66.76 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 108.jpg (73.3 KiB) Viewed 1 time

you have to play with them a bit so the brass fits right but once you have them how you like them then you drill a small hole where the pintle would go through. Take your time and drill slow to go through the plastic and brass.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 109.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 110.jpg (66.18 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Once you have the hole drilled through you need a pin so I use plastic trees from old model kits. Heat it, stretch it and you have your pins! Just cut it and push the styrene through the hole till you get it to a thick enough part that the pin is snug but not so snug that the brass catch doesn't move. Then cut it off close the side and again, using the soldering iron bring it in close to the end of the pin and just touch it gently and it will form a nice little bolt head. Do it on the other side and viola! you have a functioning catch! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_e_biggrin
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 111.jpg (64.42 KiB) Not viewed yet

The bottom release handles are simply some copper wire and some really thin copper wire. Drill your hole, bend the thicker copper wire at the bottom 90 degrees making sure you don't make it too long that it comes out the other side but long enough to mount the spring wire. Make sure you use just a slightly smaller drill bit for the hole and you can use the soldering gun idea again to mount it. wind the thin wire around the 90 degree neck and you have a nice looking hatch catch...
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 112.jpg (64.64 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 113.jpg (57.47 KiB) Not viewed yet

I secured the posts underneath and the thin copper post with 2 part epoxy and before it set real hard did a test fit. I also did a rough fit of the hatch catches to see if I had the right height.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 114.jpg (37.06 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 115.jpg (31.25 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 116.jpg (40.49 KiB) Not viewed yet

Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 am

You sir are a mad man! Shocked

Seriously though, awesome job, can't wait for more. thumbs up

Back to top Go down
http://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum.com
knispel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
knispel

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 6:57 pm

OMG
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member4.html
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 11:07 pm

Don't worry Ed there are some tougher details coming up! LOL!
Now working on the travel lock. But first put on the periscope covers using the soldering iron method again. Make your little part and apply soldering gun to brass to make it sink into plastic until you get it to the right depth.

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 123.jpg (41.79 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 124 (1).jpg (42.46 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 125.jpg (42.1 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 126.jpg (43.27 KiB) Not viewed yet

So, on to the travel lock. I want it to move up and down so first drill it through from both ends. Do it SLOWLY and watch all the time that you are going straight in. I do a little bit from each end at a time rather than one end then the other. Don't ask me why but it seems to work better...

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 118.jpg (51.33 KiB) Not viewed yet

Then cut the lock from the frame

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 117.jpg (48.39 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_ideafor the rod I use my old HL antennas they are a fairly strong steel and work quite well in any applications where you need a small rod.

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 119.jpg (46.67 KiB) Not viewed yet

Then I added some detail with the frame pivot lock bar (hell if I know what the real name is!) On the real thing it looks like it releases the travel lock from the frame. It has a small chain so you don't loose the pintle when you open it. quick mount to test up down too. Also in this shot you can see where I cut the "V" notch into the guide arm.

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 120.jpg (38.48 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 121.jpg (39.58 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 122.jpg (38.38 KiB) Not viewed yet

Still quite a bit to do. I want to put some details on the chainlink piece that actually locks the barrel in place. Talk about over engineering a part! They could have just done a piece of curved stell over the top but noooo lets use something that looks like a full machined drive chain! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_crazy

The HL ventilator that goes under the travel lock is not even close to what it looks like and it's going to be a bitch to scratch build. Stay tuned! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_wtf

Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 11:13 pm

You're really going all out on this one :O I'm impressed, those hatch latches are awesome.

Never underestimate the power of a good torch or heat, works wonders.

dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 11:19 pm

By the time I'm done probably the same amount of work I put into my KT although I broke down and bought a zim kit so that is going to save me some. I wanted driver/radio hatches to work because I intend to crew this one most of the time. It was fun building the hatch latches though. going to open the back turret hatch and have a loader sticking his head out too. Maybe giving a fist pump or something like that.

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words guys, it makes me want to do more and more but at some point you gotta stop on one item and move on or you go crazy! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_crazy Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_lol

Having said that I decided to do a little more on the travel lock! affraid  I want to simulate the chain more so I added some little round pieces of styrene to simulate the pins between the links and using a really sharp xacto I cut some groves in the links and opened the V notches where the the lock handles connect.

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 127.jpg (40.96 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 128.jpg (29.86 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Then I decided to make the frame look proper and used some brass .8mm bolts I have for the plates that screwed into the hull
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 129.jpg (61.82 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 130.jpg (56.99 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Next it was time to tackle the ventilator cover. I had been humming and hawing how to do this but decided to make it out of styrene. It took 2 tries to get a shape I was happy with and the right size by eye balling pictures, the travel lock and the tank hull.

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 131.jpg (50.02 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Also in looking at the pics there was a small rain guard around the ventilator so I soaked some thin styrene in glue and shapped it till I was happy. You will notice I painted where the ventilator was going to go black ahead of time as I figured it might be tough to do it later.

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 132.jpg (27.08 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Now, I got so into making this ventilator cover that I forgot to take pics as I went along! But basically I got the shape to where I was happy. I added the front rounded piece and some small side pieces as on the real one and sanded and rounded them off to the main part. Since the real thing is cast I started adding Tamiya putty to the top to get the slight curve and thickness right. The nice part about that putty is if you spread it around as soon as you put it on it will somewhat smooth and self level. so I put on 2 layers to get the center built up. I then ever so gently drilled the 2 depressions that are above the rear legs.

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 133.jpg (27.13 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 134.jpg (39.51 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 135.jpg (28.92 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 136.jpg (38.58 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 11:05 pm

O.K. one more of the ventilator cover from the other side. This pic is kinda neat as the brass periscope cover is reflecting in under the ventilator cover!

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 137.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 1 time

And here is the whole assembly test fitted... AND THAT'S IT FOR THE TRAVEL LOCK AND VENTILATOR COVER!!! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_crazy Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_crazy Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_crazy ....maybe....

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 138.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 139.jpg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 140.jpg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 141.jpg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 142.jpg (37.91 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 11:56 pm

Got a little more done. One of the issues I had when I cut the rear panels out was I basically destroyed the vertical lines of molded countersunk bolts so I knew at some point I was going to have to fix this. So first I filled in the old ones with putty and sanded them off. I also filled in the rear lift hooks holes as they are a little out of position on the deck and will be re-located. Next I drew a line up the hull and marked off where the bolts should be. I then drilled .8mm holes right down through except where the holes are on the aluminum strut. Those I drilled as deep as possible. Next the simulate the countersunk holes I use a 2mm bit and gave it 2 and a 1/2 gentle rotations. cleaned the holes out and put in some more of the .8mm brass bolts I had with some super glue on the bottom of them to lock them in. Gently pushed them into the holes with an xacto knife and set them at the right depth. They are really close to the same size and once primed and painted I think they should blend right in nicely...
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 143.jpg (35.86 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 144.jpg (35.86 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 145.jpg (44.91 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 146.jpg (44.06 KiB) Not viewed yet

Next, I wanted to open the rear engine hatch so I can locate my on/off and smoke switch. so proceeded to cut this out using small drill holes for the corners and heated up an xacto knife for the straight parts with a candle. I have tried little saws, wire, thread, dental floss, etc... nothing really worked for me as well as the candle knife method.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 147.jpg (67.93 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 148.jpg (47.63 KiB) Not viewed yet

now one of the things I learned a long, long, time ago in 1/35th world is that styrene shims can be your friend when opening hatches! In this case one corner got cut off a little too square so out comes the thin, thin styrene and regular thin model glue and new corner applied. Still has to be shaped with sanding of course.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 149.jpg (42.34 KiB) Not viewed yet

Now, this also works great with the hatch openings themselves. Lining them makes a nice smooth clean edge and makes the gaps more thin and realistic looking. In case you didn't see it before I have also done this on the front hatches and the rear deck plates to correct some misshapen edges and smooth them off.
so start with a piece that is long enough to go all the way around. Soak the side of the hatch and the middle of the strip and wait a minute for the strip to soften a bit and then stick it on.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 150.jpg (49.71 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 151.jpg (51.99 KiB) Not viewed yet

Repeat this process and make your way around the hatch and when it has dried a little you can nick out the sections where you don't want it. In this case I didn't want it in front of the hinges.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 152.jpg (50.06 KiB) Not viewed yet

I left the female end of the hinges on the body of the tank and will scratch them on the hatch but will make them a little more to scale too as they are a little to big and clunky compared to the real thing. and more proper bolt heads! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_e_biggrin

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2014 1:23 am

Well, fail on the hatch. I did it all up, drilled the holes, put pins in but couldn't keep them as straight as I wanted to so then it occurred to me, why am I dinking around trying to make the hatch function? Just make it like my KT everything is in place just little magnet hold it on and be done with it so that is what I am going to do. you simply lift the hatch off to get at the switches. Still have to trim and file and sand a bit but you get the idea...
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 153.jpg (50.63 KiB) Not viewed yet

you will also notice I have started to add handles in the right spots and also did the lift hooks. These were stock but they are too fat compared to the real thing so I thinned them out.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 154.jpg (46.08 KiB) Not viewed yet

so while the hatch and stuff was drying I decided to tackle the other big thing I wanted to do on this tank, the exhaust. You remember I bought 2 Pantiger uppers and used the cooling fan covers on this tank. Well they also came with the triple exhaust.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 155.jpg (74.39 KiB) Not viewed yet

I was going to work on them to make them better but really, the pipes and the attachment point are not right so had to come up with a plan. I decided since the smaller cooling pipes actually are bent in 2 spots I wasn't going to try metal as it would really be hard to get 2 to match closely I think. So I opted for styrene tubes and used my trusty candle to slowly heat and bend the tubing till I got the 2 to look close. I am using the single exhaust and cut the pipe off to use the base.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 156.jpg (64.58 KiB) Not viewed yet

I drilled 2 holes in the side and made them oblong to fit the pipes in. I sealed them in place with 2 part epoxy so it will take some force to break them off.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 157.jpg (64.79 KiB) Not viewed yet

Next I wanted to add the flanges that are on the pipes where they change direction on the base so got some brass tube and cut it thin with dremel.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 158.jpg (65.93 KiB) Not viewed yet

I used a slightly bigger diameter tube so I can simulate the flange coming out and will add a bolt head and nut to it late. So to do this you simply squeeze the ring with small needle nose pliers
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 160.jpg (55.66 KiB) Not viewed yet

And then squeeze the front of the ring together and viola! you have a neat little flange and it is tight on the tube but just to make sure I did some dots of crazy glue under the ring.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 161.jpg (59.54 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 162.jpg (57.26 KiB) Not viewed yet

And here is how they compare. I still have to bend the large center brass tube. I think they should look pretty good once finished up... Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_e_biggrin
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 163.jpg (61.58 KiB) Not viewed yet

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 10:56 pm

So I think I have all the detailing on the back deck done to the point it is ready to mount me thinks:
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 165.jpg (59.37 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 166.jpg (53.88 KiB) Not viewed yet

So I decided to take a whack at finishing the zim on the 2 storage boxes and thought what the heck why not add some PE I had left over from doing my L70. Just because I am a glutton for punishment! So first thing I did was add some hatch plates to the top of the boxes and then finished the zim on the whole box. I will milliput the seams shortly to smooth everything out. So then I went to work on the latches. So here is the result. There are some guys on here that solder them and make them so neat and tidy I have no idea how! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_lol But this is about as good as these old hands and eyes can do...
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 167.jpg (48.45 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 168.jpg (49.07 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 169.jpg (45.47 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 170.jpg (55.72 KiB) Not viewed yet

With these pics you get my fingers to show the scale of this stuff. It's little! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_crazy
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 171.jpg (55.47 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 172.jpg (46.58 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 173.jpg (45.8 KiB) Not viewed yet

And just for fun I made them operational for the time being. I don't know whether I will leave them this way or not... Would be a pity and pain if they need to be replaced because they opened and got broke off...
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 174.jpg (49.04 KiB) Not viewed yet

Back to top Go down
Airbrushler
General
General
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 11:05 pm

OMG the detail is insane ...never seen so much detail how do you even see that stuff it's so small

AMAZING!!!

dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 11:11 pm

It is crazy ain't it! LOL! glasses and a head magnifier and a LOT of patience Greg. The Panthers have a lot of crap on them so it's going to take a while to finish this one for sure. I am really hoping to put the hammer down at Christmas break and get it done but there is still lots to do so we will see. Would like to have it ready for Hachleopard's New Year battle day Feb. 1. for sure...

Back to top Go down
knispel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
knispel

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2014 2:50 pm

It's like I have been watching " Fantastic Voyage" and when the post is done I get to come back to normal . ( And yes I use that word loosely )
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member4.html
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 5:46 pm

A slow week for construction I'm afraid. With a full time job and wifey having me do things there is never enough time! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_cry The other thing is most of what I am doing here is first time stuff so it takes a little trial and error to progress through the mods. Like anything by about the 3 or 4th one I can almost guarantee it will take 1/2 the time! 
I average 2 or 3 hours a night and on the weekends sometimes 4 or 5 a night but this weekend was a bit of a bust too much to do but got a couple of more things done. 

First laid up the storage bins on the back of the tank. I have the convoy light wired so drilled the hole out and set it up
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 179.jpg (51.02 KiB) Viewed 12 times

Then using Bob Smith Plastic Cure glue, (the best I know of) and some heavier clamps tacked the boxes on.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 180.jpg (58.45 KiB) Viewed 12 times
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 181.jpg (67.62 KiB) Viewed 12 times

Well those dried and hardened thought I would tackle the towing pintle. The one that's modeled on the HL seems to be modeled on the "A" at Munster. So I started fabricating that from a reference book that Hotte sent me (thanks buddy!) and this book has been invaluable in planning and building this project. So spent a couple or 3 hours doing it it up BUT, from what I can tell this is not the correct one! The more I looked at other reference the more I realized at least for the "A"s, this is not the correct one. So I used some online illustrations and my Panther in Detail by Culver & Feist. A great reference book to start over Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_crazy and build the one I think is more accurate.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePintle.jpg (52.98 KiB) Viewed 12 times

And here are the results! Brass pipe, some putty, little chain and copper itty bitty drill bit a little solder and about 3 hours work!
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 182.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 12 times
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 184.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 12 times

And fitted my power and smoker switch box into the upper hull. Just fitted it, didn't click it in yet!
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 FilePanther A 183.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 12 times

Hopefully I have a more productive week this week! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_e_biggrin

Back to top Go down
Airbrushler
General
General
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 6:09 pm

nice job on the switches where do you get all these small chains

dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Got the last length of chain at Hornet Hobbies in T.O. that they had. But look around it is actually ship builders where you find the finest chains. I know somebody posted on another forum about it. Will see if I can find again...

Back to top Go down
Airbrushler
General
General
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 8:45 pm

cool never even thought of ship builders

Glen B
Major General
Major General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 9:21 pm

I think this is the most detailed build I have seen on the forum.

It will be interesting to see the finished product. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Can-Am RC Tank Club :: The Motor Pool (Builder's Section) :: WWII German-