The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

CalendarLog inHomeRegisterGalleryFAQ
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» My next project - Asiatam FAMO
Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Battleday Sep 21, 2019
Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby hachleopard2 Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:23 pm

» Clark's Recoil Kit
Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm

» Grease and Gears!
Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 pm

» Battle Weekend Sept. 6-7-8 Are you in???
Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby treemagnet Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:15 pm

» Tanker of the Year Points Standings 2019
Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:29 am

» Christian Ludwig Fire
Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby knispel Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 am

» The Japanese Tiger Tank
Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Negaduck Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:09 pm

» Full Scale Plastic Tiger I
Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Top posting users this month
MikeC
Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 I_vote_lcapWhere to buy tanks? - Page 2 I_voting_barWhere to buy tanks? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
Jarlath
Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 I_vote_lcapWhere to buy tanks? - Page 2 I_voting_barWhere to buy tanks? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
Shoveler74
knispel
Airbrushler
Strato50
Negaduck
dgsselkirk
Stince
kaptain Jack

Where to buy tanks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 2:16 pm

Personally I'd avoid the Trumpeter tanks... first off they don't even build them anymore and parts and 'upgrade' stuff is harder to find. For the extra $40-50 if you really want a T-34, stick with HengLong or Taigen. The gearboxes are all cross-compatible as are all of the internal mechanical bits. This T-34 from Hobbyraw is the same one that I have (you took photos of mine!), and is worth the price difference.

They are also very easy to convert over to Tamiya-Standard IR battling, which is what the club and every other Tank club uses. That's another discussion when you're ready hehe, but it means installing a Hobby radio, and modifying or replacing the electronics. Almost EVERY tank I own started as a basic BB-shooter and is converted.

For now it's a good idea to ask Curtis (Freakydude!) if he has T-34 from Taigen or HL, and the Panzers you want. Hobbyraw is a good online choice for these too, 

Examples:

Taigen METAL T-34 (I think this is expensive so ask Curtis)  eBay Taigen T-34 METAL w/ Bearings & awesome steel gearboxes

Intnova eBay, Toronto based & good selection, probably the best prices you'll find anywhere for BASIC plastic HEngLong tanks.

Basic HengLong Panzer III (Good price and they carry basic upgrades too) ebay PNZ III w/ zinc gearboxes

Basic HL T-34. This is the exact same one you were talking to me about, same retailer as above (with mud!) Heng Long T-34 w/ zinc gearboxes except it's located in Canada!

RC Dynasty eBay; these guys are MATO TOYS, good retailer and support their products, lots of basic HL tanks here and upgrades you can consider if you want. Also good 'packages' I buy lots & recommend Rc Dynasty ebay store , Panzer III Package Panzer IV Package

^^ Both of these are in the Toronto area so shipping is quick and no import charges^^

Ok so onto American retailers. Again I spend way too much money so I've ordered and have had good dealings with these guys too. Reasons I order from the US include... upgraded gearboxes that aren't as available here, electronics can be cheaper, and a single retailer carries everything I want for one project so shipping ends up being less expensive.

Artistic HobbiesHobby Raw, ... there are guys on eBay too but I don't usually order from them.

Keep asking questions!

Last edited by Strato50 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 2:23 pm

when you have made up your mind what you want let me know by e-mail
 info@immortalhobbies.com
my web site will be back up within 36 hours www.immortalhobbies.com I just migrated to a new ISP.
Back to top Go down
BattleArmor
Private
BattleArmor

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Freakydude wrote:
BattleArmor wrote:
OK.  I am confused here.  I don't own a Taigen, so need this explained to me.  How exactly is their plastic version head and shoulders above a Heng long??? 

A Heng Long Plastic Tiger is $150.  Please explain the head and shoulder part of what I get when I buy the plastic Taigen Tiger at $250

My perception is that you are paying the extra for the paint job. If there is something else I am getting please explain what that is.
ok I will explain. There are some Taigen tanks that are copies of the HL product. These are not the tanks I am talking about.
Taigen Tiger verses the HL Tiger
Taigen                                                                          HL
1.Upgraded pot metal 4 to 1                            standard stock at best you get pot metal but still stock ratio - only taigen has a 4 to 1 pot metal, not the best but way                                                                             better than stock
2.Metal Lower                                                 Plastic - $100 upgrade to equal Taigen
3.Torsion suspension                                       crappy springs that are 12 bucks to upgrade and even then are not decent when the tank is loaded down
4.Track adjusters                                            No track adjusters - $50 upgrade
5.Heavy tracks, plastic but very heavy              plastic tracks 
6.Asiatam style recoil/elevation                        recoil that is actually backwards, elevation is well it works
7.metal gun barrel                                          plastic barrel -$20 upgrade to equal taigen
8.Taigen 2.4 ghz                                            HL is still stuck on an FM band
9.Build quality better on Taigen                       HL Tigers are known for breakdowns or needed repairs straight out of the box
10.In general the Taigen is made of a much more durable plastic than the HL. It runs better, has lower maintenance and breaks less often.
11. Taigen has the quick lift upper                    HL is screwed down unless you spend a couple hours of mod time
The Taigen is clearly a way better VALUE, anybody that has an HL and gets a Taigen immediately realizes that.

Like all manufacturers Taigen has some me too product which I sell as special orders. Their Tiger I have in stock at all times because it is the best value on the market period. Note I said value here, not price. There is a huge difference between those two words.

Just for clarity is it fair to say this breakdown above is a comparison between a $450 Taigen and a $130 HL????

Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Unless Curtis says different I think that is what he means yes.

Dan I think the $250~~ Taigens you mentioned are indeed just fancy reboxed HL's with a quick airbrush paintjob. A couple of them they toss on metal tracks, sprockets etc. Nothing too crazy, they just add it themselves.

I've always been of the opinion that Taigen started out with those types of tanks just to get their feet wet in the tank market.. see what the level of interest was.

To sum things up though, they are basically HengLongs in build and quality. The metal-chassis Taigen's are a way better level though, naturally... they just took the re-boxing to it's next step by going all the way with Asiatam hulls and parts.

Yaxx
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 7:14 pm

I am glad I brought this question up on table! Haven't been answered here before. Seems it will help many guys Smile So much ideas and opinions  thumbs up Thank you guys!

Conclusion so far: 
- if you can buy in Canada, do it! Support local sellers!
- buy brands with available support for parts ( no Trumpet)
- doesn't matter BB or IR you buy! You still will have to throw it into garbage and buy __???__ IR modul that other ppl use in your club.
Back to top Go down
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 8:19 pm

BattleArmor wrote:
Freakydude wrote:
BattleArmor wrote:
OK.  I am confused here.  I don't own a Taigen, so need this explained to me.  How exactly is their plastic version head and shoulders above a Heng long??? 

A Heng Long Plastic Tiger is $150.  Please explain the head and shoulder part of what I get when I buy the plastic Taigen Tiger at $250

My perception is that you are paying the extra for the paint job. If there is something else I am getting please explain what that is.
ok I will explain. There are some Taigen tanks that are copies of the HL product. These are not the tanks I am talking about.
Taigen Tiger verses the HL Tiger
Taigen                                                                          HL
1.Upgraded pot metal 4 to 1                            standard stock at best you get pot metal but still stock ratio - only taigen has a 4 to 1 pot metal, not the best but way                                                                             better than stock
2.Metal Lower                                                 Plastic - $100 upgrade to equal Taigen
3.Torsion suspension                                       crappy springs that are 12 bucks to upgrade and even then are not decent when the tank is loaded down
4.Track adjusters                                            No track adjusters - $50 upgrade
5.Heavy tracks, plastic but very heavy              plastic tracks 
6.Asiatam style recoil/elevation                        recoil that is actually backwards, elevation is well it works
7.metal gun barrel                                          plastic barrel -$20 upgrade to equal taigen
8.Taigen 2.4 ghz                                            HL is still stuck on an FM band
9.Build quality better on Taigen                       HL Tigers are known for breakdowns or needed repairs straight out of the box
10.In general the Taigen is made of a much more durable plastic than the HL. It runs better, has lower maintenance and breaks less often.
11. Taigen has the quick lift upper                    HL is screwed down unless you spend a couple hours of mod time
The Taigen is clearly a way better VALUE, anybody that has an HL and gets a Taigen immediately realizes that.

Like all manufacturers Taigen has some me too product which I sell as special orders. Their Tiger I have in stock at all times because it is the best value on the market period. Note I said value here, not price. There is a huge difference between those two words.

Just for clarity is it fair to say this breakdown above is a comparison between a $450 Taigen and a $130 HL????
NO The comparison above is the $225 dollar PLASTIC version Tiger.
The metal version Tiger at $425 to $500 is the exact same as the Plastic BUT with the following metal parts
Suspension arms, Road wheels, Tracks all the accessories on the tank are metal like shovels, axe, picks etc, Metal version also has a fully cast metal turret.
The cast metal parts are not pot metal or white metal as some would call it either. It is an alloy but a very tough one.
The Plastic version weighs in at about 6 or 7 ibs, the metal version weighs in at 20 lbs stock out of the box.
Back to top Go down
BattleArmor
Private
BattleArmor

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Well that seems pretty decent then, and I would agree that that is probably the best value Tiger a guy can buy,

So for $225 I get torsion bar suspension, metal lower, track adjusters, Asiatam recoil and the quick connector hull.

If I was in the market for a Tiger I would look at this

In my opinion The stock radios are useless in both brands so that is a draw as Heng Long sells tanks with 2.4 ghz as well.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Oh did those T34 hulls come in yet??  When they do either email me or post an information note and I will get one.

Cheers

Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 9:50 pm

BattleArmor wrote:
Well that seems pretty decent then, and I would agree that that is probably the best value Tiger a guy can buy,

So for $225 I get torsion bar suspension, metal lower, track adjusters, Asiatam recoil and the quick connector hull.

If I was in the market for a Tiger I would look at this

In my opinion The stock radios are useless in both brands so that is a draw as Heng Long sells tanks with 2.4 ghz as well.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Oh did those T34 hulls come in yet??  When they do either email me or post an information note and I will get one.

Cheers
yes I recieved it. invoice will be off as soon as I get some legal stuff done on my site
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Yaxx wrote:
I am glad I brought this question up on table! Haven't been answered here before. Seems it will help many guys Smile So much ideas and opinions  thumbs up Thank you guys!

Conclusion so far: 
- doesn't matter BB or IR you buy! You still will have to throw it into garbage and buy __???__ IR modul that other ppl use in your club.

Yaxx,

Technically there is another option to the IR battle. Very few (I am one of them) had used a product called MAKO that will translate Tamiya IR battle code for your stock IR battle electronics from Taigen and HL. Different people have different opinions about it, but my experience was that it was an absolutely adequate product when you first start-up and doesn't want to spend the big bucks or choose a particular electronics yet. MAKO sits between the stock electronics (HL or Taigen) and will let you battle with Tamiya standard (i.e. The club battle standard). The cost of a MAKO is about $50 but you can move it from Tank to tank very easily.

The product is from down under but Kevin (the seller and inventor) of MAKO is absolutely fantastic to work with. When I first got into this tank business 2 years ago Taigen was just coming on the market and  I decided to switch my fleet to it from RX-18 (HL's original 27Mhz transmitter) and MAKO at that point did not sully support the new Taigen MFU and I ended up beta tested for him on the Taigen MFU. Of course now it is fully compatible.

He is quite ingenious and has a number of very unique and different products that I still purchase and use even though I am completely on Clark board now. I use one of his product call Viper that will let you control the volume of the sound of then tank from your receiver. He has another product called the Blue Ring that will give you the hit indicator with stock HL/Taigen sensor, and the latest is called Geko which will allow turret locking (i.e. your turret will stay in one position even though your tank is moving in a different direction), a simple horizontal tracking if you like.

MikeC.
Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Yaxx wrote:

Conclusion so far: 

Bingo on all points Razz

Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 10:34 pm

MikeC wrote:
Yaxx wrote:

Conclusion so far: 

Yaxx,

Technically there is another option to the IR battle. Very few (I am one of them) had used a product called MAKO that will translate Tamiya IR battle code for your stock IR battle electronics from Taigen and HL. Different people have different opinions about it, but my experience was that it was an absolutely adequate product when you first start-up and doesn't want to spend the big bucks or choose a particular electronics yet. MAKO sits between the stock electronics (HL or Taigen) and will let you battle with Tamiya standard (i.e. The club battle standard). The cost of a MAKO is about $50 but you can move it from Tank to tank very easily.

The product is from down under but Kevin (the seller and inventor) of MAKO is absolutely fantastic to work with. When I first got into this tank business 2 years ago Taigen was just coming on the market and  I decided to switch my fleet to it from RX-18 (HL's original 27Mhz transmitter) and MAKO at that point did not sully support the new Taigen MFU and I ended up beta tested for him on the Taigen MFU. Of course now it is fully compatible.

He is quite ingenious and has a number of very unique and different products that I still purchase and use even though I am completely on Clark board now. I use one of his product call Viper that will let you control the volume of the sound of then tank from your receiver. He has another product called the Blue Ring that will give you the hit indicator with stock HL/Taigen sensor, and the latest is called Geko which will allow turret locking (i.e. your turret will stay in one position even though your tank is moving in a different direction), a simple horizontal tracking if you like.

MikeC.
Mike you can't be suggesting this for a new tanker? When it comes to mako I think the fact you went from the RX18 to Mako just to switch to the clark board says it all.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 11:25 pm

Not suggesting anything. All I am saying is that there is another option to play in the club with RX-18/Taigen MFU. I made my choice but that doesn't mean the option is not viable. I move to Clark not because MAKO wasn't working for me. I wanted options that RX-18/Taigen wasn't available, but if all I wanted is to battle and don't care much about individual sounds and servo recoil then it doesn't really matter than.

I think we all make specific choices on what to use, but that doesn't mean all the other options are crap. I have nothing but good thing to say about MAKO, and it does work with RX-18/Taigen MFUs.
Back to top Go down
BattleArmor
Private
BattleArmor

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 12:45 am

sigh

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to buy tanks?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Can-Am RC Tank Club :: Assembly Area :: General Discussion-