The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

CalendarLog inHomeRegisterGalleryFAQ
Can-Am Battleday: Kitchener - Sat. Oct 21st
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Tiger Tank
by Tiger Power Today at 8:29 am

» Can-Am 2017 Battleday Schedule
by Bud Today at 1:17 am

» Oct. 21 Battleday KW Garrison!
by Shoveler74 Today at 12:45 am

» Random Postings
by knispel Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Traxxas 1/10 E-Revo Brushless Edition
by knispel Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» Modify M35A2 6x6
by knispel Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» Heng Long Trucks ?
by Airbrushler Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 am

» Increasing the RC Car arsenal...
by Jarlath Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:53 pm

» some odd and ends
by Tiger Power Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Top posting users this month
Jarlath

MikeC

Bud

hachleopard2

Airbrushler

knispel

Jughead

Tiger Power

dgsselkirk

Shoveler74

Share | .

Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Glen B
Major General
Major General

PostSubject: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:24 pm

I thought this may be of interest to especially people that are new to the hobby, and maybe to some of our experienced members.

Perhaps others can post some suggestions too.

I am thinking of tanks that come with some features, such as track tensioning systems "right out of the box" and are at a cost where price and value meet; something between some of the cheapest tanks and that bran that starts with a T (not Taigen  Wink ).  

People with time, experience an $$$'s to spend can and have made some very good tanks from all the different offerings out there but for this exercise, I am looking at suggesting those offerings that offer the most for the price.

While it is no secret, I have a slight fondness for the Tiger I, I have to suggest the Taigen Tiger I

http://www.immortalhobbies.com/immortal-store.php#!/Tiger-1-Early-Version/p/41323550/category=10646607

This is not based on Tiger I favouritism, it is because for this relatively moderate cost to purchase the basic tank, the price includes;

- metal lower hull
- torsion bar suspension that works quite well
- track tensioning system
- quick removable upper hull (good for working on it and battery installation, it can handle a larger battery than an HL stock battery box)
- The gun tube is the correct length, unlike the HL which must have an accessory tube fitted if you are fussy about historical accuracy
- Late version comes with accessories that normally have to be added, zimmerit and spare tracks on the turret
- Driver and radio operator hatches are operable, on/off switch is easily accessed through the radio operator hatch

IMHO, that's a lot of stuff for the price.

Add upgrade gearboxes, Clark IR conversion, IR receiver of choice, radio receiver (all of these would be needed for an HL or Taigen) and you have a very good "runner" that is easy to use and work on.

I am quite pleased with how these turn out.

Taigen Tiger I Late

Taigen Tiger I Early

Major General
Major General

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:48 pm

The next one I would offer is the HL Panther G.

Not as many features as the Taigen Tiger but the cost is lower at a purchase price in the $150.00 to $170.00 area.

A number of club members have spent a lot of time, money and skill on this one and it shows but I am covering it here as an economical, good choice for a new member.

It has good detail for an HL

It can be outfitted with track tensioners, these are nice but it adds to the cost.  If you are on a budget, there is another solution;

To prevent it throwing tracks, install low cost after-market upgrade springs, available from several suppliers, and pull one track link to give 88 track links/track.  This does not give that "track sag" look but does result in an economical, good runner on grass.

There are a number of 3:1 gearbox upgrades that are easy to fit to the HL Panther G which make it very good to drive and a good performer on grass.

Add a Clark IR conversion, IR receiver of choice, radio receiver, chose you camo and unit markings and you have something that you can have a lot of fun with at club meets.

HL Panther G set up as described;

Major General
Major General

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks for all this Glen,

I will post my choice which is the KV-1 after the weekend. Too busy getting ready for battleday to sit down and write it!

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Glen B
Major General
Major General

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:33 pm

dgsselkirk wrote:
Thanks for all this Glen,

I will post my choice which is the KV-1 after the weekend. Too busy getting ready for battleday to sit down and write it!

I have heard that the HL KV is a pretty good platform, too.

That post should be a good addition.

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:22 am

The Taigen PnzIII / StugIII with the metal hull is another great platform, has robust built-in tensioners and the suspension & driving gear is nigh-indestructible Very Happy

We're being spoiled with choice... Razz

*under construction
Back to top Go down
Glen B
Major General
Major General

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:05 am

Strato50 wrote:
The Taigen PnzIII / StugIII with the metal hull is another great platform, has robust built-in tensioners 
They have tensioners, I'll have to check that out.

Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:29 am

I got a Tagien Tiger and really like it, Ganna see about geting another one but in plastic but for IR then just got to do some upgrade so i can try to keep up with you guys lol.  Or if money permits geting a Tamiya, most say "kit" do they not come RTR for the price

Tiger Power
Der Tiger ist auf dem losen
Back to top Go down
knispel
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:20 pm

Tiger Power wrote:
I got a Tagien Tiger and really like it, Ganna see about geting another one but in plastic but for IR then just got to do some upgrade so i can try to keep up with you guys lol.  Or if money permits geting a Tamiya, most say "kit" do they not come RTR for the price
I hear ya. I started with a HL Tiger added the sound card and controller and put the plastic tracks back on for field battle . That was 3 years ago and it is still my favourite. It did throw tracks now and then but that's too be expected and the overall cost was not that high.
When I got my Tagien metal Tiger it was almost just the shear weight of it make it awsome. But that too is the draw back ;1/ BB fire.2/battery life less than half 3/Sound is just ok.
It weighs 15.2 pounds vs my plastic HL Tiger battle tank at 7.8 pounds.
Sure Tamyia has those great details and durability and if you have the cash you are looking closer to the $900 to $1000 CDN,great. But you can also have a lot of fun at a lower price point.

Now having said that I think I'll take them for a run in the snow. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member4.html
dgsselkirk
Major General
Major General

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:39 pm

I never did post about the KV-1 did I? It was my 3rd tank and ran extremely well right out of the box. It is priced right not being as popular as the German stuff and being an older release. If someone is starting on learning to gut and install electronics and IR systems the way we do it the KV has tons of room. So much room that I actually have dual speakers in it.  Because of it's wide track stance and wheel base it performs well on grass as well with very little chance of tipping over on steep inclines. 

Now, having said all that I had old Curtis upgrade it with 480 motors, Walterson gearboxes and metal tracks, sprockets and idlers and it runs like a dream even with the realistic slack in the tracks. It has never in 3 years thrown a track except when an idler or sprocket loosened off but I have fixed that. Not as much room in the turret as a Tiger or KT but enough to put in servo recoil no problem. Also with a short 76 barrel no worries about whacking anything with the barrel or jamming the turret on anything. It also is one of the more accurate kits that HL makes. 
Even with all the metal upgrades, motors, gearboxes, Clark board, IR system, lights, etc.. it still came in  well under $500 .... Another reason I like it!

Back to top Go down
knispel
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:54 pm

"Stalingrad's Revenge" and his comrades waiting for a Tiger.

Back to top Go down
knispel
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:57 pm

PS: Those tracks are working so well in this environment.This tanks was built for this scenario, -12 Deg. ,light snow and a bottle of Vodka.
We really could have a winter battle if this could last for a day or two.
Back to top Go down
Strato50
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:37 am

Hehe, Ed I find that my T-34 is the only tank that I can safely run around in the snow with. Anything German bogs down or gets all jammed up with snow and isn't safe... typical! Razz

Big heavy KV-2 just tears through snowbanks... Wink

*under construction
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Major General
Major General

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:03 pm

knispel wrote:
PS: Those tracks are working so well in this environment.This tanks was built for this scenario, -12 Deg. ,light snow and a bottle of Vodka.
We really could have a winter battle if this could last for a day or two.
Those shots look great Ed! Gotta love resin filled hulls... basically water proof! :-)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)   

Back to top Go down

Tanks That Are Good Value (Bang For The Buck)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Can-Am RC Tank Club :: Assembly Area :: Tips & Technical Support-