Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Miscellaneous Images 2024
Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» Tongde Pro Churchills for sale
Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Hello new here
Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeby MikeC Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Aquino - July 26-28 2024
Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:04 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES.....
Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:07 pm

» Taigen KV metal swing arms
Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:10 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:41 pm

» HERITAGECON 2024
Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeby Negaduck Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:38 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... I_vote_lcapNewbie getting into RC Tank question.... I_voting_barNewbie getting into RC Tank question.... I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... I_vote_lcapNewbie getting into RC Tank question.... I_voting_barNewbie getting into RC Tank question.... I_vote_rcap 
MikeC
dgsselkirk
Jarlath
Maczek
Bktanker
ZackM
Smittyburger
Negaduck

Newbie getting into RC Tank question....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Empty
PostSubject: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 9:06 am

So doing my research (as a newbie RC Tank modeller/owner) in 1/16th it seems that Tamiya is considered the holy grail of brands? They sure command a huge price compared to HL.

That being said, I'm pretty much tapped out, so what would be a decent price for starting into the 1/16th scale tanks?
I've cruised on Kijiji & Ebay, anything to stay away from or be wary of?

Example, a HL Jadgpanther with metal gears, drive/idler and tracks sold for $250ish shipped... Decent price?
Again Newbie looking for answers and respective prices to be expected.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 1:22 pm

jarlath
Heng Long is the base model, Then taigen and Tamiya are tied for best in class. 250 for a jagdpanther is ridiculous, period. regardless of tracks and motors/gear boxes. $150 would be a fair price.
Best out of the box heng long runner and decent tank will be a Panther G or a KV-1, they are solid and your best bet, $150 to 175 max price with metal options.
Best taigen would be a plastic version Tiger 1 somewhere around $200 to $225 would be a decent price. Overall this is your best spent money due to the fact there isn't many upgrades required and for all purposes it is a high quality scale model.
Tamiya should be for when you been in tha game for a bit and certainly know what it is your spending your dough on
Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 2:37 pm

I've found that the basic price for 'bare bones' HengLong vehicles has gone up a fair amount too lately. Even a basic Panzer IV with nothing fancy was in the $195 range shipped, uhg. 

As for brand, Taigen tanks with metal hulls can seem pricey, and honestly I'm not sure who would be the best vendor to get them in Canada at a fair price (I've built "Taigens" from amalgamations of parts, before Taigen existed, but have never actually ordered a whole one..), but as far as price and quality go they are excellent. Especially the KV, Tiger and soon to be Panthers with metal hulls.

Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 3:13 pm

would never pay over 100 bucks for a bare bones HL. Buy direct from China. its not hard to do
Buy direct from taigen - believe me they will sell to you, just have it shipped USPS and you avoid all the duties  Smile
Back to top Go down
Jughead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jughead

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 4:11 pm

As a newbie myself since November , I totally agree with freaky and strato , listen to them , they are the vets of 1/16 rc tanking , I have henglongs , taigens , and one tamiya , I like all 3 three in different areas , but I'm a taigen fan by far , my tamiya is a shelf sitter since it's more high maintenance than my wife , lol , it will be well worth the trip to fort Erie next week for you , to come check the different tanks , paint and detail work , and get you'll a ton of advice from a great bunch of guys , who knows , there's always the odd tank for sale there too ! Hope you can make it out there
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Taigen over priced and you still have to buy electronics to battle. sorry, not in the same class as Tamiya IMHO.

Kughead is right. Better to come out and see them in action and listen to all the opinions to make a balanced judgement... :-)

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 4:57 pm

Freakydude wrote:
jarlath
Heng Long is the base model, Then taigen and Tamiya are tied for best in class. 250 for a jagdpanther is ridiculous, period. regardless of tracks and motors/gear boxes. $150 would be a fair price.
Best out of the box heng long runner and decent tank will be a Panther G or a KV-1, they are solid and your best bet, $150 to 175 max price with metal options.
Best taigen would be a plastic version Tiger 1 somewhere around $200 to $225 would be a decent price. Overall this is your best spent money due to the fact there isn't many upgrades required and for all purposes it is a high quality scale model.
Tamiya should be for when you been in tha game for a bit and certainly know what it is your spending your dough on
Laugh, find me a nice new KV-1 with metal upgrades for $150 and I'll jump.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 5:39 pm

Jughead wrote:
As a newbie myself since November , I totally agree with freaky and strato , listen to them , they are the vets of 1/16 rc tanking , I have henglongs  , taigens , and one tamiya , I like all 3 three in different areas , but I'm a taigen fan by far , my tamiya is a shelf sitter since it's more high maintenance than my wife , lol , it will be well worth the trip to fort Erie next week for you , to come check the different  tanks , paint and detail work , and get you'll a ton of advice from a great bunch of guys , who knows , there's always the odd tank for sale there too ! Hope you can make it out there

Unfortunately you made it Father's day weekend... It'll be played by ear if I'm allowed to celebrate it sans plans by wife and kids Smile
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 5:44 pm

We always make it Father's day Saturday. You should be able to do what you want on the Saturday and the sunday is for the family stuff...  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 5:59 pm

dgsselkirk wrote:
We always make it Father's day Saturday. You should be able to do what you want on the Saturday and the sunday is for the family stuff...  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Except that is when we spend Father's day with my father in law.
Back to top Go down
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 7:58 pm

Jarlath wrote:
Freakydude wrote:
jarlath
Laugh, find me a nice new KV-1 with metal upgrades for $150 and I'll jump.
you have your credit card handy? that is an easy one
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 8:32 pm

$150 will get you basic Heng Long. Maybe with metal gearboxs. Metal tracks will have to be another $100 on top and it will come with metal sprockets and idlers.

The latest Taigen offers are very nice. I got their Panther F from rctank.de as they are the only one that has it right now (IMEX is suppose to get it later on in the year), awesome paint job (good for me because I can't paint myself out of a paper bag) mostly metal components. All I did is put in a servo for recoil and a Clark board and it is a great battler. Not cheap, but solid metal parts and Tamiya battle compatible with Clark.

$400 euro + $100 CAD Clark board. Slightly less than a Tamiya Panther F, but you have a metal lower, same as Tamiya, but with metal tracks, metal wheels, metal turret.

http://www.rctank.de/Exclusive-New-Panther-F-metal-edition-with-Taigen-gun-recoil-system-IR_3
Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 10:18 pm

The Panther G is one of the best out box tanks out there. It requires little work and if you can get a Heng Long IR version it makes it easier to switch the electronics as IR and recoil is already there.

But as it says in your profile that you like the Panzer 4, why not start with that.  It's good runner too.
My daughter has one and she's a terror on the field.  We've seen her roll it off a bridge and land on it's tracks and keep going.  She's also quite the deadly fighter out there too.

Back to top Go down
https://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum.com
kaptain Jack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
kaptain Jack

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 8:41 am

I like the variety and selection of models, that H.L. is offering, but tamiya IS: tamiya and especially if you like building, their kits give you hours of pleasure you can spend putting the tank (or truck) together.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 9:13 am

Stince wrote:
The Panther G is one of the best out box tanks out there. It requires little work and if you can get a Heng Long IR version it makes it easier to switch the electronics as IR and recoil is already there.

But as it says in your profile that you like the Panzer 4, why not start with that.  It's good runner too.
My daughter has one and she's a terror on the field.  We've seen her roll it off a bridge and land on it's tracks and keep going.  She's also quite the deadly fighter out there too.

I would like to get a Panzer IV, it can be of any variant. Obviously I'd like metal upgrades (Looking at you Freakydude!) for cheap. Smile
I did just pick up a Spektrum DX8 NIB with a couple extra receivers (prepping for the Armortek as well). Love Kijiji...
Back to top Go down
tomzag
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 12:04 pm

I have couple tamiya and hooben rc tanks, I can sell you with good deal. let me know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie getting into RC Tank question....   Newbie getting into RC Tank question.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie getting into RC Tank question....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1