The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

CalendarLog inHomeRegisterGalleryFAQ
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» My next project - Asiatam FAMO
Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Today at 12:29 am

» Battleday Sep 21, 2019
Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeby hachleopard2 Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:23 pm

» Clark's Recoil Kit
Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm

» Grease and Gears!
Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 pm

» Battle Weekend Sept. 6-7-8 Are you in???
Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeby treemagnet Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:15 pm

» Tanker of the Year Points Standings 2019
Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:29 am

» Christian Ludwig Fire
Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeby knispel Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 am

» The Japanese Tiger Tank
Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeby Negaduck Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:09 pm

» Full Scale Plastic Tiger I
Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Top posting users this month
Jarlath
Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw I_vote_lcapNeed help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw I_voting_barNeed help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw I_vote_rcap 
knispel
Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw I_vote_lcapNeed help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw I_voting_barNeed help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw I_vote_rcap 
MikeC
Airbrushler
Shoveler74
dgsselkirk
Strato50
Negaduck
Stince
kaptain Jack

Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wolfleader
Private
Wolfleader

Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Empty
PostSubject: Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw   Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 10:05 pm

So I ended up buying the following gearbox for my Tiger tank

http://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p314/Taigen_Premium_Series_III_Metal_Gearboxes_1%3A16_Scale_RC_Tank_TG1203-S.html

They're great, except for the fact that the allen screw holding the pinion gears to the motors are stuck on tight.   Figuring they probably just got attached with loctite red, I ended up heating the pinion gear with everything from a lighter to a 40 watt soldering iron.   No such luck, damn thing is still stuck on tightly.   I have absolutely no idea what they used to attach this pinion gear to the motor.

So far I've been careful with it and it hasn't, as far as I know stripped but I'm at a loss on how to remove this damn thing.   I can use the system as is for now but this is definitely a concern if any of the motors burn out or I just want to replace the loaded motors with much faster ones (have a pair of 20000RPM motors due to hopefully arrive any day now).

Anyone got any ideas on how to remove these stuck on allen screws from the pinion gear?

Colonel
Colonel
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw   Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 11:41 pm

If you have the correct allen hex key, reef on it until it loosens or the key snaps. Guaranteed they locktited it.

But why remove them if nothing wrong. If your motor's burn out, you won't care if you bend the shaft or not...
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
MikeC
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostSubject: Re: Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw   Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 11:53 pm

They should come off if you give it s strong turn. Make sure you have the right allan key (i.e. Metric vs Imperial).

But I agree with Big Mike. Don't touch it if you don't need to.
Back to top Go down
kaptain Jack
Sergeant
Sergeant
kaptain Jack

PostSubject: Re: Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw   Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 8:47 am

Take a soldering iron and put it on the screw to heat up as high as possible, metal will expand and lock tight will soften.
Back to top Go down
Renesis
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Renesis

PostSubject: Re: Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw   Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 11:13 am

Grab a 1/4 inch ratchet with a bit adapter for the the correct Allen key head and give her. They probably dipped the whole bolt in locktite lol
Back to top Go down
kaptain Jack
Sergeant
Sergeant
kaptain Jack

PostSubject: Re: Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw   Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 1:38 pm

Using ratchet, you guaranteed to reap the screw head off, and then you are really STUCK!
I had to go through similar situation few days ago, working on Tamiya truck, once the lock tight melted its easy.
Back to top Go down
Negaduck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Negaduck

PostSubject: Re: Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw   Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 pm

if it was me i would use my solder it butane torch to heat up the gear and place my hex driver in ice water. the set screw should cool down faster the the gear, shrink a little and make it easier to get it out and the hex driver are so much easier to use than allen keys

Private
Wolfleader

PostSubject: Re: Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw   Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.  I'll keep the motors in for now.  I did try using a soldering iron but I suspect an issue could be my soldering tip probably needs replacing (barely melts solder) but didn't rapidly cool down the pinion and hex key like Negaduck suggested so I will probably try that next time.

PostSubject: Re: Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw   Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help removing a tightly stuck on allen screw

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Can-Am RC Tank Club :: Assembly Area :: Tips & Technical Support-