Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» April 20th Field work morning and afternoon play!
New and with questions! Icon_minitimeby MikeC Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
New and with questions! Icon_minitimeby MikeC Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» COST TO UPGRADE A TANK TO BATTLEFIELD STANDARDS
New and with questions! Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 6:31 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
New and with questions! Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» Cause Of Flooding over The Field
New and with questions! Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:46 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
New and with questions! Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 pm

» Tongde Pro Churchills for sale
New and with questions! Icon_minitimeby MikeC Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:01 pm

» Work an Play Day April 6th!
New and with questions! Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:39 am

» Dragon 1/6 M4 Sherman 76mm
New and with questions! Icon_minitimeby MikeC Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:09 am

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
New and with questions! I_vote_lcapNew and with questions! I_voting_barNew and with questions! I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
New and with questions! I_vote_lcapNew and with questions! I_voting_barNew and with questions! I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Jarlath
Chimo
treemagnet
AngryMonkey
Hilario

New and with questions!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Offroaddaddy
Recruit

New and with questions! Empty
PostSubject: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 2:11 pm

double post...oops!

Last edited by Offroaddaddy on Wed May 09, 2018 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Offroaddaddy
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Hello Folks!

My sons are new to tanks and well, I've gotten caught up into it now too!

We just recently purchased two Henglong tanks:  Challenger and Abrams
We've done a bit of reading, but by no means are we experts!  I found out about your club and site at the HobbyHobby shop in Mississauga.  Glad I found you!

The tanks have recoil (not barrel, but rather the entire tank recoils), barrel elevation, steel gear box and steel tracks.  The shoot bb's and we thought that would be fun ... and it is, but its also a pain tracking them all down!

What has really got our attention is IR battling.  We've love to do that.  From the reading I've done, Tamiya IR is the standard?
I'd love to learn about this and how we can modify our tanks to do this.  What are all the options available to converting these Henglong tanks?   I've done a fair bit of reading, but now have info overload and need a bit of guidance and advice.

What doesn't help is that it seems there aren't any hobby shops in Ontario for Tanking.  Or is there?

Thanks in advance for you help and hope to join you all in a future outing!

Paul

Last edited by Offroaddaddy on Wed May 09, 2018 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Welcome to the Forum and the addiction! Smile

Ask away! We'll do our best to answer any Q's you have!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Offroaddaddy
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Thanks Jarlath!  For some reason my initial post came up blank, but looks like I was able to correct that.  Look forward to the conversation!
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Offroaddaddy wrote:
Thanks Jarlath!  For some reason my initial post came up blank, but looks like I was able to correct that.  Look forward to the conversation!

It's not blank. The text came out as black in colour. Which with the dark forum background = nearly invisible.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Offroaddaddy wrote:
Hello Folks!
We just recently purchased two Henglong tanks:  Challenger and Abrams
We've done a bit of reading, but by no means are we experts!  I found out about your club and site at the HobbyHobby shop in Mississauga.  Glad I found you!

That would likely be Hach leaving the fliers at Hobbyhobby! Yay for our Mississauga Battlefield members! (Also seen them at Great Hobbies as well).

Offroaddaddy wrote:

The tanks have recoil (not barrel, but rather the entire tank recoils), barrel elevation, steel gear box and steel tracks.  The shoot bb's and we thought that would be fun ... and it is, but its also a pain tracking them all down!

What has really got our attention is IR battling.  We've love to do that.  From the reading I've done, Tamiya IR is the standard?
I'd love to learn about this and how we can modify our tanks to do this.  What are all the options available to converting these Henglong tanks?   I've done a fair bit of reading, but now have info overload and need a bit of guidance and advice.

What doesn't help is that it seems there aren't any hobby shops in Ontario for Tanking.  Or is there?

Thanks in advance for you help and hope to join you all in a future outing!

Paul

Paul welcome to the world of IR battles... And yes, Tamiya IR damage systems is the norm.

Now you have a conundrum...
How much do you want to spend in upgrading to IR battles? How much extra do you want your tank(s) to do?

• Barrel recoil
  • 360 degree turret
  • Cannon HID flash
  • Better sounds
  • Realistic movement
  • IR emitters & mounting
  • Cheap or good IR receivers
  • FPV systems

The hobby is growing which is great! I had the guys at Greater Hobbies ask me about tanks while I was there a while ago. They notice when several fields for dedicated RC stuff spring up. So right now there are a few places to purchase the items we need for converting to a Tamiya battle system without buying a Tamiya tank Smile
For the most part we use aftermarket control boards to allow us to do everything listed. (Clarck, IBU, etc...)
Back to top Go down
Offroaddaddy
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 4:44 pm

Appreciate your response and resulting q's ...

I'd like to consider all options, regardless of cost.  My sons are really into this and its something we are enjoying together, so having said that, I don't have an issue spending a few dollars on this since its something we enjoy together.

On the list for potential upgrades, IR is at the top using good IR emitters and receivers, along with 360 degree turret, better sounds and movement.

Having said that, what options should be considered?  What electronics come with these tanks stock?  I should take it apart to check.  Is it the rx18?  I've also read about IBU3 and Clark.  Lots to think about!
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Paul, it looks like there will be a meet this Saturday at the K/W field so if you guys can make it out there will be lots of folks there with information, and you can also see some of the tanks and battles first hand.

MikeC.
Back to top Go down
Offroaddaddy
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks Mike, I will definitely check that out
Back to top Go down
Offroaddaddy
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 3:59 pm

I've been doing a bit more reading and came across ELMOD.  I like what I've read so far.  I've been conversing with them (Joe), and appreciate their level of responsiveness and quality of information.
This is the direction I'll go:  ELMOD Pro, along with their battling system which brings compatibility for my Henglong tanks to IR battle with Tamiya's.
Next up is the radio and receiver.  Reading up on that too.  Definitely want a radio with self centering sticks...
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 8:05 pm

I think they are only one or two Elmod running in the club. The biggest hurdle with Elmod is the price, and given the rarity of it in the club, there isn't much experience with it either.
Back to top Go down
Renesis
Corporal
Corporal
Renesis

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 10:20 pm

I use Elmod aside from the price it is an awesome board. I dont have enough money for a Pro yet, but i do plan to buy one and slowly convert my battalion to Elmod
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 11:55 pm

How much is it these days ? We should have some kind of published comparison with all the new boards like Clark Tk-60 and IBU3 which are all getting up there, not Elmod up there but must be getting closer.
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2018 8:08 am

Keep in mind there is special pricing for the club from Clark for all models... For example TK-60 would be $146 CANADIAN  Very Happy I have a TK60 for you to play with Mike...

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2018 8:54 am

I am at the stage where as long as it works I am not touching it, and yet a different board is like another hole in my head which I don't need. Unfortunately I have also just acquired a new vehicle with SLU which I am not too thrill about but it will be more work to take it out then leaving it in.

I will stick with my Tk-20s and IBUs and ONE SLU for now and the near future.............
Back to top Go down
Offroaddaddy
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2018 10:17 am

Pulled the trigger on the Elmod pro board. Probably a few weeks before it arrives. I’ll follow back up and share my experiences once I get started. Thanks fellas for the guidance.
Paul
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New and with questions!   New and with questions! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New and with questions!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1