Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Miscellaneous Images 2024
Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» Tongde Pro Churchills for sale
Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Hello new here
Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeby MikeC Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Aquino - July 26-28 2024
Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:04 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES.....
Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:07 pm

» Taigen KV metal swing arms
Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:10 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:41 pm

» HERITAGECON 2024
Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeby Negaduck Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:38 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Panzer IV Variants I_vote_lcapPanzer IV Variants I_voting_barPanzer IV Variants I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Panzer IV Variants I_vote_lcapPanzer IV Variants I_voting_barPanzer IV Variants I_vote_rcap 
MikeC
dgsselkirk
Jarlath
Maczek
Bktanker
ZackM
Smittyburger
Negaduck

Panzer IV Variants

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

Panzer IV Variants Empty
PostSubject: Panzer IV Variants   Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 4:22 pm

This was Germany's work horse, out of curiosity anybody know how many variants were made and then how many offshoots of the basic platform were made?
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

Panzer IV Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panzer IV Variants   Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 4:39 pm

I think there was a "N" on the drawing board at war's end. and offshoots a whack! Remember that book I showed you at Mohawk that was basically the technical encyclopedia of German Tanks? I know it has every variant at least listed. I will count them up tonight for fun!

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

Panzer IV Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panzer IV Variants   Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Just off the top of my head.. A-F1, short barreled variants, a LOT of hull changes, armor thickness, turret door arrangements, and guns up to the stubby 75mm.

F2-J (excluding "I"), starting with the 75mm /52, then 75mm/48. Internal changes, turret simplifications, armor simplified, schurzen, lots of fun stuff Razz

Variants.

Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

Panzer IV Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panzer IV Variants   Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 9:08 pm

ok so now I am curious and here is a question for people with lots of time on their hands
Sherman or PZIV  who had the most distinct variants.
slight variations of the same tank don't count
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

Panzer IV Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panzer IV Variants   Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Alright I will start with the Pz. Iv and no, I do not have a lot of time on my hands so I will not be putting the details here just an overview. anyone wants to see them all I will bring my "bible" to the next meet! Smile 
Preliminary designs and mock up prototypes - 6
Main tank variants A to J -10 types
Tauch Panzer - 1 type
Command and Control tank - 1 type
Sturmpanzer - 1 type
Assault gun/tank killers (no turrets) - 4 types
Self Propelled Artillery Chassis - 6 types
AA variants - 6 types
Bridging variants - 2 types
Experimental drives including one that has a porsche looking ass end - 2 types
Mine roller variant - 1 type
Ammunition carrier - 1 type
Tracked amphibious armoured ferry - 1 type
rocket firing - 1 type

This does not even include foreign sales and variants during and after the war!

Back to top Go down
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

Panzer IV Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panzer IV Variants   Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 10:32 pm

43 types, does your bible include the Shermie?
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

Panzer IV Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panzer IV Variants   Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Nope, this was my German bible. Will see what I can come up with tomorrow night on the Shermie.
I think the Mk. IV will win by a nose....

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

Panzer IV Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panzer IV Variants   Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 11:35 pm

I was being sarcastic about the nose...

Try this list on for size.:
M4 (Sherman I in UK use)Continental radial engine; welded hull; 75-mm and 105-mm versions only. Users: US, Britain, Poland, France (one vehicle). Some very late M4s had composite cast/welded hulls (cast hull front identical to M4A1 (76) W.).M4(105) - Upgraded with 105 mm M4 howitzer.M4(105) HVSS - M4(105) w/ HVSS.M4A1 (Sherman II in UK use)Continental radial engine; one-piece cast hull; 75-mm and 76-mm versions built. Users: US, Britain, South Africa, Poland(M4A1(76)W), France (small numbers), ChinaM4A1E4/M4A1(76)W - Upgraded with 76 mm M1 gun.M4A1E8/M4A1(76)W HVSS - Upgraded with widetrack Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS), fitted with the 76 mm M1 gun.M4A1E9 - Minor upgrade, retaining the old 75 mm M3 gun. Users: ChileM4A2 (Sherman III in UK use)Diesel-powered; welded hull; 75-mm and 76-mm guns. Users: USSR (M4C), USMC, France, Britain, Poland. No US Army combat use.M4A2E4 - Upgraded with Torsion Bar suspension; not put into production.M4A2E8/M4A2(76)W HVSS - Upgraded with widetrack Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS), fitted with the 76mm M1 gun.M4A3 (Sherman IV in UK parlance - not used by UK forces)Ford GAA V-8 engine; welded hull; 75-mm, 76-mm, and 105-mm guns. Users: US, France (small numbers), Nicaragua (small numbers). The M4A3 was the preferred US Army vehicle.M4A3(75) - M4A3 with 75mm M3 gun.M4A3(105) - M4A3 with 105mm M4 howitzer.M4A3E2 Assault Tank - postwar nickname "Jumbo" - extra armour (including 4 inches on front), vertical sided turret, but about 3-4 mph slower. Built with 75 mm gun but frequently re-armed by the using units with 76-mm guns. Grousers fitted to the tracks. Users: US, France (one vehicle)M4A3E4/M4A3(76)W - M4A3 with 76mm M1 gun.M4A3E8/M4A3(76)W HVSS (Easy Eight) - Upgraded with widetrack Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS), fitted with the 76mm M1 gun. The new suspension allowed for more armor to be added.M4A3E9/M4A3(105) HVSS - Upgraded with widetrack Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS), fitted with the 105mm M4 howitzer.[citation needed]M4A4 (Sherman V in UK use)Chrysler A57 engine; welded, lengthened hull; 75-mm gun only as-built. Users: Britain, France, China, Lebanon (Firefly), Nicaragua (small numbers).Sherman Firefly - About 2000 were re-armed by the British with their 17-pounder (76.2 mm) guns as the Sherman Firefly.M4A5No US vehicle was built with this designation; the number was meant to signify Canadian production. Known as the Ram tank in Canada.M4A6Diesel engine; composite cast/welded hull lengthened similarly to the M4A4; 75-mm gun only. Only a few dozen of this variant were built and none were used in combat.
US Sherman-based vehicles[ltr][edit source | editbeta][/ltr]
Variants without the M4 designation but built on the M4 medium chassis (While some began on the M3 chassis, some subvariants were switched to the M4 chassis during production. These are the models listed here):

• 105mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M7B1 - self-propelled 105 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage (HMC) based on the M4A3 Sherman chassis.
  • 155mm Gun Motor Carriage M12 - self-propelled 155 mm Gun Motor Carriage (GMC).
  • Cargo Carrier M30 - Cargo Carrier (an M12 with crew and ammunition space in lieu of the gun).
  • 155mm Gun Motor Carriage M40 - self-propelled 155 mm GMC (Either M1A1 or M2 gun) based on the M4A3 (HVSS) chassis.
  • 8in Howitzer Motor Carriage M43 - self-propelled 8 inch HMC (standardized post-World War II).
  • 3in Gun Motor Carriage M10 - tank destroyer based on the M4A2 Sherman chassis.

• 3in Gun Motor Carriage M10A1 - Same as the M10, but based on the M4A3 Sherman chassis.

• 90mm Gun Motor Carriage M36 - tank destroyer based on M10A1 hull (M4A3 chassis); standard model.

• 90mm Gun Motor Carriage M36B1 - tank destroyer based on M4A3 Sherman hull and chassis; expedient model.
    • 90mm Gun Motor Carriage M36B2 - tank destroyer based on M10 hull (M4A2 chassis, diesel); expedient model.

Panzer IV Variants 220px-M32-ARV-batey-haosef-2
Panzer IV Variants Magnify-clip
M32 TRV.
Panzer IV Variants 220px-M32_ARV
M32A1B1 Armored Recovery Vehicle at the Patton Museum, 2003.
Panzer IV Variants 220px-M4_Sherman_based_recovery_vehicle
M74 Tank Recovery Vehicle.

• Tank Recovery Vehicle M32

based on M4 chassis with turret replaced by fixed superstructure, 60.000 lb winch and an 18 feet long pivoting A-frame jib installed. An 81mm Mortar was also added into the hull, primarily for screening purposes.

• Tank Recovery Vehicle M32B1 - M32s converted from M4A1s.

• Tank Recovery Vehicle M32A1B1 - M32B1's with HVSS, later removing the 81mm Mortar and incorporating crane improvements.

• Tank Recovery Vehicle M32B2 - M32's converted from M4A2's.
    • Tank Recovery Vehicle M32B3 - M32's converted from M4A3's.

• Tank Recovery Vehicle M32A1B3 - M32B3's brought to the same standard as the M32A1B1.

• Tank Recovery Vehicle M32B4 - M32's converted from M4A4's.

• M74 Tank Recovery Vehicle

Upgrade of the M32 to provide the same capability with regards to heavier post-war tanks, converted from M4A3 HVSS tanks. In appearance the M74 is very similar to the M32, fitted with an A-Frame crane, a main towing winch, an auxiliary winch, and a manual utility winch. The M74 also has a front mounted spade that can be used as a support or as a dozer blade.

• M74B1 - Same as the M74, but converted from M32B3s.

• M34 Prime Mover - M32B1 TRV converted to the artillery tractor role. 24 vehicles were converted by Chester Tank Depot in 1944.

US Special Attachment variants[ltr][edit source | editbeta][/ltr]
Panzer IV Variants 200px-M4A3-Sherman-105mm-Dozer-latrun-1
M4 with 105 mm howitzer and an M1 dozer blade.
Rocket-firing, flame-thrower, mine-clearing, amphibious, engineer; mostly experimental (indicated by T instead of M)

• Sherman DD (Duplex drive) - Amphibious M4.
  • M4 Mobile Assault Bridge.
  • M4 Dozer - fitted with M1 (side arm) or M2 (hydraulic mount) dozer blade.
  • T15/E1/E2 - Series of mine resistant Shermans based on the T14 kit. Cancelled at war's end.
  • Mine Exploders / Mine Excavators - fitted with various mine exploding devices including plungers, rollers, mortars. Most of those remained experimental vehicles.

• Mine Exploder T1E1 Roller (Earthworm) - Discs made from armor plate.
    • Mine Exploder T1E2 Roller - Two forward units with 7 discs only. Experimental.
    • Mine Exploder T1E3/M1 Roller (Aunt Jemima) - Two forward units with 5 10' discs. Most widely used T1 variant, adopted as the M1.
    • Mine Exploder T1E4 Roller - 16 discs
    • Mine Exploder T1E5 Roller - T1E3/M1 w/ smaller wheels. Experimental.
    • Mine Exploder T1E6 Roller - T1E3/M1 w/ serrated edged discs. Experimental
    • Mine Exploder T2 Flail - British Sherman Crab I mine flail.
    • Mine Exploder T3 Flail - Based on British Scorpion flail. Development stopped in 1943.

• Mine Exploder T3E1 Flail - T3 w/ longer arms and sand filled rotor. Cancelled.
      • Mine Exploder T3E2 Flail - E1 variant, rotor replaced with steel drum of larger diameter. Development terminated at war's end.

• Mine Exploder T4 - British Crab II mine flail.
    • Mine Exploder T7 - Frame with small rollers with two discs each. Abandoned.
    • Mine Exploder T8 (Johnny Walker) - Steel plungers on a pivot frame designed to pound on the ground. Vehicle steering was adversely affected.
    • Mine Exploder T9 - 6' Roller. Difficult to maneuver.

• Mine Exploder T9E1 - Lightened version, but proved unsatisfactory because it failed to explode all mines.

• Mine Exploder T10 - Remote control unit designed to be controlled by the following tank. Cancelled.
    • Mine Exploder T11 - 6 forward firing mortars to set off mines. Experimental.
    • Mine Exploder T12 - 23 forward firing mortars. Apparently effective, but cancelled.
    • Mine Exploder T14 - Direct modification to a Sherman tank, upgraded belly armor and reinforced tracks. Cancelled.
    • Mine Excavator T4 - Plough device. Developed during 1942, but abandoned.
    • Mine Excavator T5/E1/E2 - T4 variant w/ v-shaped plough. E1/E2 was a further improvement.
    • Mine Excavator T5E3 - T5E1/E2 rigged to the hydraulic lift mechanism from the M1 dozer kit to control depth.
    • Mine Excavator T6 - Based on the v-shape/T5, unable to control depth.
    • Mine Excavator T2/E1/E2 - Based on the T4/T5's, but rigged to the hydraulic lift mechanism from the M1 dozer kit to control depth.

Panzer IV Variants 220px-T-34-rocket-launcher-France
T-34 rocket launcher in France.
Panzer IV Variants 220px-Ronson_flame_tank_Iwo_Jima
A M4A3R3 used by the USMC during the Battle of Iwo Jima.

• Rocket Launchers:

• Rocket Launcher T34 (Calliope) - armed with 60 4-6" rocket tubes mounted above the turret. Saw limited combat in 1944-1945.
    • Rocket Launcher T34E1 - T34 with 14 tubes in the 2 bottom units.
    • Rocket Launcher T34E2 - T34 modified to accept 7.2" rockets.
    • Rocket Launcher T39 - Enclosed box mount with doors, with 20 7.2" rockets.
    • Rocket Launcher T40/M17 WhizBang - armed with 20 7.2" rockets. Saw limited combat in 1944-45. A short variant of the T40 was also developed, but saw little usage.
    • Rocket Launcher T72 - T34 short tube variant. Never used.
    • Rocket Launcher T73 - Similar to the T40, but with only 10 tubes. Never used.
    • Rocket Launcher T76 - M4A1 w/ 7.2" rocket launcher in place of main gun. Never used.
    • Rocket Launcher T105 - M4A1 w/ rocket case instead of main gun. Never used.
    • Multiple Rocket Launcher T99 - 2 box mounts with 22 4.5" rockets, mounted on the turret. Never used

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Panzer IV Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panzer IV Variants   Panzer IV Variants Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Panzer IV Variants

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1