Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Tongde Pro Churchills for sale
Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Today at 9:13 am

» Hello new here
Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 6:49 am

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 6:11 am

» Aquino - July 26-28 2024
Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES.....
Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» Taigen KV metal swing arms
Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:10 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:41 pm

» HERITAGECON 2024
Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeby Negaduck Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:38 pm

Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:58 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Lipo Batteries I_vote_lcapLipo Batteries I_voting_barLipo Batteries I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
MikeC
dgsselkirk
Jarlath
Maczek
Bktanker
ZackM
Smittyburger
Negaduck

Lipo Batteries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Airbrushler
Retired
Airbrushler

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 1:06 am

does anyone use them in the club why do you use them are they better then regular batteries

Strato50
General
General
Strato50

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 2:05 am

For what our tanks need, the benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks.

They're lighter and can deliver more burst power, but we don't need either of those. They don't like rough handling and CAN ignite.

The voltage is 7.4V nominal vs 7.2V for our NiCads and NiMH... I doubt you'd notice the difference really.

I'm happy with my NiMH's

Reaper332
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Reaper332

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 3:29 am

Lipo's are all I use and never had any probs, they are cheaper to buy and I can get if I wanted to 2 meets out of my 5000mAh batteries, but in saying that I swap between more then one tank. The power is more constant then NiMH as they don't slowly drop off in power. Size wise the the same battery in Lipo can be smaller then its equivalent in NiMH. In my Tamiya Leo 2 I use 2200mAh lipos at $12 ea and have no room issues in the turret and likewise I run the same battery in my Tamiya Pershing to save room.
But it comes down to personal preference as to what you use and like there are pros and con for both . That's just my 2cents worth..

Cheers Ken
Back to top Go down
doug818tiger
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 8:27 am

I'm with reaper the benefits of lipos is like comparing a gas engine to a diesel engine the gas engine will cop out under a heavy load if its sustained for a long time were as the diesel (lipo) will have the staying power and longer lasting ...as for safety any battery can ignite it don't matter if its a little hearing aid battery or a car battery lipo or nimh let's face it though I have never seen a lipo burn up or explode ...I have seen them short internally and puff up to about 4 times there size but as with all batterys if used correctly there will be NO issues as for draw backs the only thing lipos don't realy like to much is getting down below 3.3 volts per cell they require a constant surface charge or they are scrap and the charger is highly recommended to have a balance port on it to equal out the cells during a charge .
Back to top Go down
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 10:43 am

For all those interested I was at a trade show once, The Milwaukee rep shorted his Lipo out and the ensuing fire almost burnt a table down.
Lipo's are known for causing fires and when you see one go its  Super hot and it blasts out of the battery more like a torch than anything.
Lipos do like to be treated in a gentler environment
Lipo's do not like being drained
Lipo's need to be charged and balanced within a fire proof environment
Short a Lipo and you are in big trouble, Short a NIMH and well, you can keep using it

If you use them then it's your responsibility to learn about them before hand and follow all safety precautions and you will have a fine experience. Deviate and you risk serious injury

Me I am NIMH person. Safety and ease of use can't be beat. The extra cost isn't that much.
For Tanks I would never recommend Lipo's.
Back to top Go down
doug818tiger
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Air craft guy ....req lipos for power but as Curtis said treated properly there is no risk miss treated look out
Back to top Go down
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Didn't the Captain have some excitement with a battery?

Forget what the details were Embarassed 

Perhaps he will comment, here.

Captain
Captain
Negaduck

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 3:15 pm

i use a 2s 2400mah hardcase lipo mostly but i got some 5000. last me the whole day with no problems with the tamiya electronics and the clark. i highly doubt that one of these tanks could make the lipo puff. the only time i puff batteries is in my speed boat doing 40mph on the water.
no fires yet for me but i've seen the after match of one in a rc car. high voltage draw and they can go up. I've even taken a cell from 2 different brands of lipo, both were 5000mah and had a dead cell and made a frankenstein battery that i use all the time in a RC crawler

Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Iv puffed plenty of packs with the turbine igniter and multi motor aircraft like my b17 but never have seen one catch fire from high current draw ...only from over charge rate or incorrect wiring
Back to top Go down
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 5:59 pm

doug818tiger wrote:
only from over charge rate 
I believe the Captain's self destructed on his coffee table, during charging.

General
General
Strato50

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 6:01 pm

If you've got em in 7.4V, by all means go for it. For someone coming FROM tanks though, I just think it's not worth the effort & expense of a better charger. 

I have all sort's of batteries but my only 2S lipos are for my speed boat, and they have deans connectors Razz

knispel
Retired
knispel

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 4:29 am

I prefer to use 2s lipo just because they hold power for ever. As  for charging safety, they get charged inside a metal tool box with the  temperture cutout probe .( and never just on my coffee table next to my martini )
Back a year or two I showed up with my 1970 Texas charger that I had been using for my NiMH and NiCD .It put out a full 3 to 4 amp charge after an hour it went to .7  trickle.  I remember the look of " what the heck is that? Are you kidding me? " from a couple of the guys which made me think this whole charging thing over. I thought "  Man, this may have been the reason my batteries got cooked so quickly."
I have since been using a decent i-Charger 106B which I power using a 12v car battery booster and what a difference in battery life.If the tank stays together ,you can go all day long.
But when lipo's go for charging I have a couple of 5300 NiMh that I got from Curtis which almost go as far ( and for safety are the only ones I use when the kids come around .)
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member4.html
Airbrushler
Retired
Airbrushler

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 4:49 am

knispel wrote:
I prefer to use 2s lipo just because they hold power for ever. As  for charging safety, they get charged inside a metal tool box with the  temperture cutout probe .( and never just on my coffee table next to my martini )
Back a year or two I showed up with my 1970 Texas charger that I had been using for my NiMH and NiCD .It put out a full 3 to 4 amp charge after an hour it went to .7  trickle.  I remember the look of " what the heck is that? Are you kidding me? " from a couple of the guys which made me think this whole charging thing over. I thought "  Man, this may have been the reason my batteries got cooked so quickly."
I have since been using a decent i-Charger 106B which I power using a 12v car battery booster and what a difference in battery life.If the tank stays together ,you can go all day long.
But when lipo's go for charging I have a couple of 5300 NiMh that I got from Curtis which almost go as far ( and for safety are the only ones I use when the kids come around .)
sent you a PM

Airbrushler
Retired
Airbrushler

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 5:18 am

knispel check your mail again...lol

twain7
Recruit

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 4:36 pm

lipos are sensitive but its not like your are doing tricks or jumping your tank off of things so i dont see why you think a tank is rough or rougher than an off road truck like an e-revo. if you think that it is to rough for a lipo then soften the box and make it a more friendly enviroment for the lipo. if my controler can handle it i will be running 3s lipos in my tank for as close to scale speed as possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lipo Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lipo Batteries   Lipo Batteries Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lipo Batteries

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1