The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

CalendarLog inHomeRegisterGalleryFAQ
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» My next project - Asiatam FAMO
Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Battleday Sep 21, 2019
Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeby hachleopard2 Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:23 pm

» Clark's Recoil Kit
Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm

» Grease and Gears!
Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 pm

» Battle Weekend Sept. 6-7-8 Are you in???
Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeby treemagnet Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:15 pm

» Tanker of the Year Points Standings 2019
Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:29 am

» Christian Ludwig Fire
Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeby knispel Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 am

» The Japanese Tiger Tank
Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeby Negaduck Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:09 pm

» Full Scale Plastic Tiger I
Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeby Strato50 Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Top posting users this month
MikeC
Stince's KV-1 Build I_vote_lcapStince's KV-1 Build I_voting_barStince's KV-1 Build I_vote_rcap 
Jarlath
Stince's KV-1 Build I_vote_lcapStince's KV-1 Build I_voting_barStince's KV-1 Build I_vote_rcap 
Shoveler74
knispel
Airbrushler
Strato50
Negaduck
dgsselkirk
Stince
kaptain Jack

Stince's KV-1 Build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Stince
General
General
Stince

Stince's KV-1 Build Empty
PostSubject: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:51 pm

Just so everyone knows this will probably be the longest KV build in the history of RC tanks.  I've had the kit since last November and I've finely got around to starting it.  I'm pretty sure the Russians were able to build thee real ones faster then I'm going to take.  Embarassed 

Anyway I will show you what I've done so far.

The first steps are to put the front and back ends of the lower hulls together.  The parts are quite smooth and the metal used on the KVs are quite rough, so decided to give it some texture to it.

It was quit easy to do.  First I brushed on some Testors Plastic Cement, small sections at a time.

Stince's KV-1 Build IMG_3784_zps1721ab85

Then after a couple of second of letting it soften the plastic I scuff it up with a toothbrush.

Stince's KV-1 Build IMG_3785_zpsf136d1ac

Then lastly, a quick sanding to smooth it out a bit.

Stince's KV-1 Build IMG_3786_zps23aa35d8

It think it turn out pretty good!

Stince's KV-1 Build IMG_3782_zps8398380d

* Note: Some plastic cements will react differently with different types of plastics, so make sure you do a test spot on an area that won't be seen.

Last edited by Stince on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum.com
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 10:01 pm

Next up was getting the metal hull ready.

First I scuffed the hull with some semi-rough sand paper, so the primer would have something extra to grip too.

Stince's KV-1 Build IMG_3789_zpsf98a48b6

After it was primed, it was time to add all the bits to the lower hull and install the suspension arms and the torsion bars.

Stince's KV-1 Build 20140405_140700_zps3c264768

This being my first Tamiya kit, installing the torsion bars was a bit of a learning curve, after the first few I got the hang of it.  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
Airbrushler
General
General
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 10:09 pm

looking good

Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 10:14 pm

For this kit I also got the added armour plating from ETO. They are made from resin and have pretty good detailing.  It is a pain that you have to remove the extra resin from them, but it is pretty easy to do if you take your time.

Stince's KV-1 Build 20140405_140917_zpsea541583

Here is the extra armour added to the front hull.

Stince's KV-1 Build 20140406_142322_zpsd1b2d4d4

Up next will be installing the road wheels and roller returns.

Back to top Go down
Stinger
Captain
Captain
Stinger

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Stince wrote:
For this kit I also got the added armour plating from ETO. They are made from resin and have pretty good detailing.  It is a pain that you have to remove the extra resin from them, but it is pretty easy to do if you take your time.

The kit is also missing the two pieces that go behind the turret. I told the Mfr and they never responded to my e-mail.

Can-Am Tank Club <<< Web site link

Tiger I | King Tiger | Panther G | PzIII | PzIV | Stug IV | SturmTiger | Pershing/Howitzer | M16 Halftrack | M26 Super Pershing | M48 Patton | M41 Bulldog | Gepard | Leopard | KV-1 | KV-2 |T-34 |
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member2.html
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 7:36 am

I really like the look of that applique armor already. The rough-looking cut and weld lines very much suit Russian armor. 

Nice to finally see this heavy underway, I hope you're having a good time with the kit!

Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 10:47 am

Stinger wrote:
Stince wrote:

The kit is also missing the two pieces that go behind the turret.  I told the Mfr and they never responded to my e-mail.

Stinger don't you know, Russian tanks don't need extra amour in the back, they were never allow to retreat.  russian 

Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 10:53 am

Strato50 wrote:

Nice to finally see this heavy underway, I hope you're having a good time with the kit!

Thanks Strato,

I never thought I would get started, had some delays getting parts. Still need to get a battle system for it, but everyone seems to be sold out.  Sad 

Back to top Go down
Reaper332
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Reaper332

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 9:05 pm

Hey Stince we use impact battle units from Mitosal in our Tamiya's they look and operate exactly the same only cheaper then genuine Tamiya battle units

Cheers Ken
Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Got the road wheels, and roller returns installed with rubber sealed ball bearings.
The roller returns are the one pieces from ETO.  http://www.etoarmour.com/product_detail.php?productID=KV0021
Stince's KV-1 Build 20140414_202505_zps0ef4813c

I also installed a HennTec adjustable idler mount system from ETO too. http://www.etoarmour.com/product_detail.php?productID=HT018
They don't have one for the Tamiya KV per say, but the HL T-34 system pretty much drops right in.
Just had to grind a little bit off the front of inside mounts and drill a couple of holes for the mounting bolts.  Took about 15 minutes to do.
Stince's KV-1 Build 20140414_202529_zps8322e3cc

Stince's KV-1 Build 20140414_202542_zps93ae704e

Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Reaper332 wrote:
Hey Stince we use impact battle units from Mitosal in our Tamiya's they look and operate exactly the same only cheaper then genuine Tamiya battle units

Cheers Ken

I might have too, nobody seems to have the Tamiya ones any more and if they do they want twice the money.  Mad 

With Impact's do you notice if there is any difference in the range of hits taken? I thought I read some where that there range wasn't as long as Tamiya's

Back to top Go down
Reaper332
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Reaper332

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 9:29 pm

Hey mate no haven't noticed any differences at all between either brand of units... 

Cheers Ken
Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 10:05 am

I know I've been slow updating this build, I'll try get some pictures post up soon.

I've got the bottom all done, most of the top hull, and test the electronics (they sound nice  Very Happy )

Also, with the lack Tamiya battle systems for sell, I've decided to go with the Impact system instead.
So as soon as I get that I can start on the turret and with a little luck and time I could have it ready for the event in Oshawa.

Back to top Go down
Stinger
Captain
Captain
Stinger

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Here you go....

battle unit

Tiger I | King Tiger | Panther G | PzIII | PzIV | Stug IV | SturmTiger | Pershing/Howitzer | M16 Halftrack | M26 Super Pershing | M48 Patton | M41 Bulldog | Gepard | Leopard | KV-1 | KV-2 |T-34 |
Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:33 pm

Stinger wrote:
Here you go....

battle unit

Thanks Ian, I found some Tamiya systems for sell last week for $170 -$200 US + shipping, but why pay that much when I can get the exact same thing with the Impact system for $80 US with shipping.

I decided to take the cost efficient way, I can always pick up a Tamyia one when they start making them get a lower cost.

Back to top Go down
Stinger
Captain
Captain
Stinger

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:38 pm

Stince wrote:
Stinger wrote:
Here you go....

battle unit

Thanks Ian, I found some Tamiya systems for sell last week for $170 -$200 US + shipping, but why pay that much when I can get the exact same thing with the Impact system for $80 US with shipping.

I decided to take the cost efficient way, I can always pick up a Tamyia one when they start making them get a lower cost.

post the  link to them for all to get....

cheers

Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 11:05 am

Here is where you can get the Impact system.

http://www.mitosal.com/73003.htm

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Let me get this straight, $80 for just the apple,emitter, and wiring???

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 1:16 pm

dgsselkirk wrote:
Let me get this straight, $80 for just the apple,emitter, and wiring???

Yup.  No 

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Plus shipping?

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
General
General
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Isn't Curtis's system about 1/2 that?

Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 2:06 pm

* Small Update *

Finished the lower and top hull about about a week a go and are ready for priming.
Also finished the turret last night, almost forgot the put the emitter in Embarassed, but was to get in without having to take it apart.  Very Happy 

Here are some pics. (sorry, none of the turret)

Stince's KV-1 Build IMG_4008_zps82207cd2

Stince's KV-1 Build IMG_4006_zps6bcd176c

Stince's KV-1 Build IMG_4005_zpsd8e46641

Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 12:43 am

Turret ring plate is really cool. I keep saying how I like the add on armor, its totally cool on the KV

Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Strato50 wrote:
Turret ring plate is really cool. I keep saying how I like the add on armor, its totally cool on the KV

When extra armour is slapped on it always makes it look a little more bad@ss!  Cool

Back to top Go down
tomzag
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 5:51 pm

no matter what. it is bad..s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stince's KV-1 Build   Stince's KV-1 Build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stince's KV-1 Build

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Can-Am RC Tank Club :: The Motor Pool (Builder's Section) :: WWII Allies-