Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Tongde Pro Churchills for sale
Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Today at 9:13 am

» Hello new here
Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 6:49 am

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 6:11 am

» Aquino - July 26-28 2024
Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES.....
Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» Taigen KV metal swing arms
Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:10 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:41 pm

» HERITAGECON 2024
Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeby Negaduck Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:38 pm

Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:58 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Battery Care Questions I_vote_lcapBattery Care Questions I_voting_barBattery Care Questions I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Battery Care Questions I_vote_lcapBattery Care Questions I_voting_barBattery Care Questions I_vote_rcap 
MikeC
dgsselkirk
Jarlath
Maczek
Bktanker
ZackM
Smittyburger
Negaduck

Battery Care Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

Battery Care Questions Empty
PostSubject: Battery Care Questions   Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 9:25 pm

For you battery experts;

Is it best to fully discharge the battery prior to charging?

If it is the best practice to fully discharge before a charge, do you charge again before storage or only charge within a day, or so, if intended use?

I am sure I am not the only one who would benefit from the answers.

General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Battery Care Questions   Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 12:39 am

I'll stick with NiMH batteries because that's all I use for tanks, and what I gather most of us use as well.

They are not AS sensitive to charge / discharge cycles as NiCad or even Lipo batteries are and won't go bad if you top them up a few times in a row, that is to say their charge memory isn't very strong. They CAN develop one however, so a discharge whenever convenient is a good idea.

With storage, again they aren't prone to issues. I don't really store mine fully charged or drained. Charging them up in the days before an event has not given me any issues, and I often leave the batteries half drained inside their tanks for weeks.

One thing I do is to have a rig with a Tamiya plug and two 12v turning signal bulbs hooked up in parallel to quickly drain the batteries down for a full charge cycle. It's faster than the de-charge function on my charging unit, and won't hurt the cells.

Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Battery Care Questions   Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Read this
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/do_and_dont_battery_table
Pretty good advice.
I never discharge completly my Nimh Batteries and I never over charge them.
I always store them with a full charge and I never leave my batteries in my tanks.
I get home and pop them out, tag them for last use so I know when I pick them up again roughly how much charge they should have
Back to top Go down
tomzag
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Battery Care Questions   Battery Care Questions Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 8:02 pm

I always leave my battery in the tank and charge them with charging system. 
Here is what i do with different type batteries:
1. NICD, discharge fully before recharge due to its memory effect
2.NIMH, no discharge, it does not have memory effect, do not charge it with over current. it will damage the core. 
3. Li-on, or Lipo, never drain them. no over charge either. very delicate. 

Good charge is a smart investment for rc tanks. Curtis has some nice ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery Care Questions   Battery Care Questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery Care Questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1