Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» April 20th Field work morning and afternoon play!
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 9:09 am

» Cause Of Flooding over The Field
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 7:26 am

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 6:11 am

» COST TO UPGRADE A TANK TO BATTLEFIELD STANDARDS
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 6:31 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 pm

» Tongde Pro Churchills for sale
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeby MikeC Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:01 pm

» Work an Play Day April 6th!
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:39 am

» Dragon 1/6 M4 Sherman 76mm
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeby MikeC Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:09 am

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 I_vote_lcapConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 I_voting_barConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 I_vote_lcapConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 I_voting_barConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Jarlath
treemagnet
AngryMonkey
Chimo
Hilario

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 9:35 pm

working hard on the next big thing to do on this tank and it is painful to the extreme... I wanted to add the Schürzen skirts to this tank, oh boy, more scratch building. I should mention I don't have any fancy tools, drill press, lathe, stamping equipment, etc... Just my exacto, dremel, the basics so these will look a little crude but 20 feet away on our battlefield won't matter. Plus they will be functional and I hope fall off on occasion just for fun! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_e_biggrin

So I will let the pics speak for themselves. Using my line drawings and pics from assorted sources I used brass rectangle and square tube, and impact skirts meant for the Tamiya "G" model cut down. You can buy these really cheap as they have cosmetic blemishes but won't affect the final look of course.
AttachmentsConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 185.jpg (56.01 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 186.jpg (29.69 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 187.jpg (36.16 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 189.jpg (35.24 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 190.jpg (37.23 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 191.jpg (37.85 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 192.jpg (37.55 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 193.jpg (29.42 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 194.jpg (31.77 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 195.jpg (31.6 KiB) Not viewed yet

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 9:37 pm

And here are some more. AA LOT of adjustment as I went along and still have some to do but I like the look of it so far...
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 196.jpg (55.81 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 197.jpg (57.01 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 198.jpg (51.87 KiB) Not viewed yet

What I did was slide the arms into the bracket and soldered at the back. What this does is create a sort of spring effect that lets the arms move around but are very secure...
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 199.jpg (38.5 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 200.jpg (40.74 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 201.jpg (59.41 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 204.jpg (51.74 KiB) Not viewed yet
AttachmentsConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 205.jpg (51.61 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 206.jpg (43.01 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 207.jpg (40.71 KiB) Not viewed yet

Back to top Go down
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 9:44 pm

Now that is a lot of brass stock!

Great detail forming of the fmall soldered parts.

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 10:58 pm

Thanks Glen,
In the meantime someone PM'd me for a shot more head on and from underneath. I also still have to add nuts and bolts to the tops of all the frames as on the real thing and there are small lock plates that will be put on the front to close up any gaping that shouldn't be there...
AttachmentsConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 208.jpg (38.69 KiB) Viewed 1 timeConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 209.jpg (31.86 KiB) Viewed 1 timeConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 210.jpg (33.79 KiB) Viewed 1 timeConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 211.jpg (39.97 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Back to top Go down
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 7:31 am

dgsselkirk wrote:
Plus they will be functional and I hope fall off on occasion just for fun!

Stince, here's an opportunity for a new event at outdoor meets; Find the skirt off the Panther A  Wink

Now the new bar has been set for modeling Panther skirts. Very Happy

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 10:22 am

STOP! STOP THE BATTLE! I LOST A SKIRT! LOL!

Enough playing with brass So now I want to address the HL road wheels ridge issue. I see some different methods tried by lots of people usually involving putty which I wanted to try and avoid so I choose styrene itty bitty strips and some knife work. So first here is the pic showing the ridges that everyone talks about.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 212.jpg (65.33 KiB) Not viewed yet

Take a new xacto knife blade and snap the the tip off. I use this to scrape the paint off so we are gluing directly to plastic.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 213.jpg (49.11 KiB) Not viewed yet

I am using .020 x .030 strips of styrene
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 214.jpg (57.92 KiB) Not viewed yet

Sorry these are a little blurry. So using Tamiya extra thin glue I dab a little on the wheel and dab some on the beginning of the strip and wait 30 seconds till it gets a bit tacky and then using the curvd tweezers I start putting it into the groove
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 215.jpg (47.87 KiB) Not viewed yet

It takes 2 strips with this method so started the next one
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 216.jpg (44.77 KiB) Not viewed yet

Let these dry OVERNIGHT!!! if you start on them any sooner the styrene will still be soft and it will mak a mess. Then using the knife with the broke off tip start scraping away any ridge that is left and rounding the new white styrene into the wheel.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 217.jpg (54.73 KiB) Not viewed yet

And finally a little sanding and gentle filing making sure not to hit the bolt heads and you have a more realistic road wheel.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 218.jpg (62.15 KiB) Not viewed yet

I will be using Mr. Surfacer to give it the proper cast surface look it should have and this will also blend everything in together to make it seamless...

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 12:18 am

Well guys, after taking a week break to get my tanks ready and organize our club get together I am trying to get back at it now. It was time to tackle the zim. I really love working with this stuff. I know the kits are a bit expensive but having done all kinds of putty and burn zim, this is just soooo much easier!
It took some fitting and cutting and re-use of small pieces since this kit is made for a Tamiya G so there are some things that had to be adjusted of course.

First I had to replace the back tow pull points
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 219.jpg (41 KiB) Not viewed yet

So here are the pics of the zim pretty well finished up except for the lower one side.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 220.jpg (70.29 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 221.jpg (60.57 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 222.jpg (45.62 KiB) Not viewed yet

Notice how the zim "bends" over the edges of the sides as per the real thing. This is done using a heat gun CAREFULLY just warm it to the point it flexes and then push it down with fingers. Yes, it;s a little warm but the results are much better than if you use a tool. You can just "feel" when it bends down right.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 223.jpg (47.37 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 224.jpg (54.94 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 225.jpg (52.85 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 226.jpg (62.17 KiB) Not viewed yet

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 12:10 am

So scratch built my rear hatch. The plan is to have a crew hanging out of it even in battle and yes, will probably have him doing some rude gesture to my enemies as usual or maybe I will female crew again, a companion for Greta on my L70. Let me know what you'd like to see boys! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_e_biggrin

Oh, and I didn't forget the center hatch keyhole just forgot to take a pic... Also yes, will be cleaning up my hinge on the inside and shortening the copper pin and adding some bolt fixtures...
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 227.jpg (64.09 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 228.jpg (58.17 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 229.jpg (70.08 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 230.jpg (53.88 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 231.jpg (47.35 KiB) Not viewed yet
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 232.jpg (60.1 KiB) Not viewed yet

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 12:28 am

...and the next phase all the tool and track racks. This is for sure the most complicated detail on this vehicle. The Panther "A"s have a different configuration than the "G"s so this required some fill ins on the zim since the Atak kit is made for the Tamiya G. I used a different pattern that I had a sheet of for the bottom hull which left me with plenty of extra to do these fill ins and touch ups. you won't really see the fixes once paint is on. Suffice is to say it is taking a LOT of time to create these from scratch. Reference, measuring, fabricating the frames and small extras and then my favourite thing in the world to do PE!!! also basically rebuilding tools to make them look better whether from scratch like the pry bar or just trimming and filing like the axe, or in between where I took the Pantiger shovel and modified it to a different look just to be different. I find most of the HL tools are just slightly over scale so "thinning them down" makes them look better I think.
Having said that I think the effort will be worthwhile as it adds so much to a model. I am waiting for some scale chain to finish up this first bracket but thought I would post the picks of the frame empty and then with the tools on. The PE will be operational I think. I did an extra 10 clamps for when I inevitably loose one or 2!
AttachmentsConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 233.jpg (61.74 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 234.jpg (53.88 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 235.jpg (57.54 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 236.jpg (52.33 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 237.jpg (57.29 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 238.jpg (51.68 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 239.jpg (63.55 KiB) Not viewed yetConverting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 240.jpg (52.48 KiB) Not viewed yet

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 10:39 pm

So more details...
Measured out the cleaning rod and antenna storage tube and began to build the covers. I scraped one opening to make the edging sharp and punched out 2 styrene ends. did a few to make sure I had 2 that would work.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 241.jpg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 242.jpg (40.85 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 243.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 1 time

I then wrapped thin styrene around the ends and made the ring mounts exactly the way they are on the real thing
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 244.jpg (66.69 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Used crazy glue and glued them on in the right position and then used thin wire to draw them in tight to the body of the tube.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 245.jpg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 246.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 1 time

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Next moved on to the spare track holders. These actually went quicker and easier than I thought! Measured out a strip for width and length then took a piece of brass rectangle tubbing and removed one side with a dremel to make a hollow square. I then cut using the dremel each independent section and smoothed them off to make uniform and drilled the holes for the locking pins. I then used my diagrams, pictures, and the spare track I am going to use to measure the spacing between each section. Made the locking pins out the appropriate size of copper wire, bent the ends and soldered small chain with a larger ring on the end.
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 247.jpg (46.74 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 248.jpg (53.46 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 249.jpg (49.35 KiB) Not viewed yet

this is alook with the main parts mounted:
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 250.jpg (54.85 KiB) Not viewed yet

I have decided since these mounts look so cool I am only going to put the spare tracks on one side and leave the other empty so here is what the one side will look like with them mounted. I should mention too that the spare track needs some detailing to make it look better and more realistic. The "teeth" need to be hollowed out and some little styrene strips added to represent the small ridges on the teeth. You can see I started on a couple of the teeth ...
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 251.jpg (54.82 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 252.jpg (63.25 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 253.jpg (61.11 KiB) Not viewed yet

Keep in mind I will be leaving or removing a lot of the really fine detail (for example the grab handles and chains that go on the cleaning rod storage tube) to do the painting and then add it back later.

Next I wanted to finish up the jack detailing. I decided to make the early version as the jack that comes with the HL Panther most closely resembles it. Added handles, trimmed the handle to look better, added a little ratchet at the head and remade the jack crown out of styrene. I also sanded/carved/thinned different parts to look more realiatic. If the jack was to be down at the bottom of the rear hull I might not have done so much detail but it is going to be mounted between the exhausts up high and very visable to wanted to make it look better...
Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 254.jpg (89.56 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 255.jpg (90.6 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 256.jpg (91.33 KiB) Not viewed yet

Back to top Go down
knispel
Retired
knispel

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Inspirational as usual.
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member4.html
Reaper332
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Reaper332

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2015 8:21 am

Fantastic work mate.... loce the track hanger idea been trying to find the right size brass strip but have had no luck, never thought to use box section and mod it..... thumbs up thumbs up

Cheers Ken
Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Dean you're making me feel incredibly lazy lately Razz

This build looks awesome. No kids will be allowed anywhere near my T-34 when this is out... baahahaa

dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2015 11:55 am

Well then, get to work! Razz

Anyone hits this piece of work, their tank will immediately be destroyed by the Monty Python foot...

Back to top Go down
Negaduck
Captain
Captain
Negaduck

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2015 7:52 pm

what if i put rubber bumpers on my tank?

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2015 8:10 pm

I'll put a rubber boot on the Monty Python foot...

Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 8:48 pm

Hey Dean, hows the Panther A coming along?  Any chance of seeing it at the April indoor meet? bounce

Back to top Go down
https://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum.com
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 10:17 pm

Too busy doing other people's tanks! LOL! Probably won't get back at it till June or so so hoping for it to be finished for fall before last outdoor battledays...

Back to top Go down
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 8:28 pm

dgsselkirk wrote:

Anyone hits this piece of work, their tank will immediately be destroyed by the Monty Python foot...

I can understand that.

That is a very ambitious and detailed build, it will be interesting to see when it is done.

Retired
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 10:17 pm

the 3 foot rule should be applied we all know what it takes to build or upgrade these tanks

dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 9:59 am

I don't worry about it too much. There isn't anything I build I can't do a repair to. Accidents happen during urban battles, can't be helped! LOL!

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 12:10 am

WOW! 8 months since I last worked on my Panther A project! Was very busy with other builds but now I am determined to finish this up before the snow flies! I broke down and bought some Aber stuff. My god I don't know how anyone solders this stuff! Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_crazy Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_crazy Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_crazy 

I have a hard enough time making it look 1/2 assed presentable. My hats off to the real pros out there who make it look really good. I was O.K. with the scratch built antenna/cleaning rod tube but figured why not upgrade it. So here is about 4 or 5 hours worth of work to make it just a bit fancier. . It didn't turn out too bad me thinks. I am going to leave the one end open for display but tack the cover down so that doesn't get lost running around! Still some clean up to do and a little zim fill but I like it...

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 258.jpg (45.5 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 259.jpg (49.1 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 260.jpg (54.64 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 File

Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 12:21 am

Here is the exhaust mounted. I will be putting my favourite TARR 1 smoker with mega-steam in it of course! By the way, if anyone has some tricks for bending this tubing let me know! I did a hair dryer, hot water, I tried brass with a bender. Nothing really worked well. These were the best of an entire package of styrene tubing!!! The good part is if you look at the real thing they were actually pretty crude and rarely straight very long! Brass frame over the next few days...

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 262.jpg (57.27 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 263.jpg (40.77 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 FilePanther A 264.jpg (44.6 KiB) Not viewed yet

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 File

Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 2:48 am

Dean, you're up too late!

For bending I always have my handy butane torch in hand... it's smelly, dangerous, and often results in a burn, but usually works well. For the bends you want I'd set the tube in a vice, apply heat on the outside of the bend, and yank it in a quick motion before things get melty.

Panthers eh... I hear they're cool, right? Wink

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"   Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A" - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next