Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Issues with atak zimmerit
My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeby ZackM Today at 9:37 pm

» HERITAGECON 2024
My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Today at 9:09 pm

» Churchill Crocodile
My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» Aquino - July 26-28 2024
My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:55 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:20 pm

» Last order of TARR smokers...
My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeby Smittyburger Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:14 pm

» Stug (why can't i have a 4 letter title)
My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:52 pm

» WHAT IS THIS?
My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeby MikeC Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:35 pm

» Taigen KV metal swing arms
My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeby Maczek Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:50 pm

Top posting users this month
MikeC
My Panther G. First try at painting. I_vote_lcapMy Panther G. First try at painting. I_voting_barMy Panther G. First try at painting. I_vote_rcap 
Hammertime999999999
My Panther G. First try at painting. I_vote_lcapMy Panther G. First try at painting. I_voting_barMy Panther G. First try at painting. I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
dgsselkirk
Jarlath
Maczek
ZackM
Negaduck
mx_599
Smittyburger

My Panther G. First try at painting.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

My Panther G. First try at painting. Empty
PostSubject: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 9:12 pm

Starting with a upgraded HL Panther G:

My Panther G. First try at painting. HL%20panther%20mostly%20stock_zpsry9f67ym

Stripped of extra equipment and ready for patching:

My Panther G. First try at painting. HL%20stripped%20of%20equipment_zpsp6fpyqgk

I'll post my progress as I go. I'll be doing a bit of work every week as I get time.

General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 9:44 am

Painting is a lot of fun, you learn as you go. My first paint jobs were awful, so, I tried again.

Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 6:21 pm

Now you'll remember to take the turret off before you paint it again though... Smile

Looks good!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 12:23 pm

This is pre paint. I am documenting the process as I go. A little bit each week. Or whatever I have time to do. Hopefully more than a few hours each week. 

This weekend cleaning the hull. Patching the holes and removong the road wheels.

Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 10:34 pm

[size=48]I patched the holes on the inside then puttied them from the outside. I just used some doller store household glue and little pieces of plastic for the patch and used valejo putty to fill the holes. [/size]

[size=48]It feels like I am patching drywall! It keeps sinking in when it has dried. [/size]

[size=48]So... three applications later... I am hopefully going to be ready to sand it down. Did I mention that I always hated patching drywall. Mad[/size]

My Panther G. First try at painting. 20160617_211840_zpsk9zw277i

My Panther G. First try at painting. 20160617_211751_zpsiagplf56

General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Yep this is fun..! I don't use anything fancy, just some simple drywall filler that comes in a tube and is pink when 'gooey', it slowly turns white. Not as strong as real putty but it's simple, cheap, and works for smaller holes and gaps!

kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 5:20 pm

Well it was 2 more trys to patch the holes before I was happy with the patching. Whos kidding who I said **** it's good enough! 

Next step was taking the road wheels off and covering the electronics and wiring or anything I don't want painted.

My Panther G. First try at painting. 20160625_143316_zpsufnzvun4

Since I have to replace the IR and repair the elevation control, the turret is all appart as well.

My Panther G. First try at painting. 20160625_143803_zpsgj18xziv

Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 5:25 pm

Next I used valejo panzer grey primer. I know the base coat should be dunklegelb but I read on a model airbrushing forum that a dark base coat is best so that shadows are accentuated.  Sounded good to me so I am trying it. 

So here is the start, fresh off the production floor, the paint is still wet!

My Panther G. First try at painting. 20160625_162635_zps6m2n1xuu

I just have a few questions. 

How do I prevent running and drips? I have the psi set at about 15psi on the compressor. And the valejo primer is thinned 50/50 with rubbing alcohol. I have a cheap airbrush too.I am trying to do this on a small budget. 

If I have a drip or run how is the best way to clean it off. 

I have to do another coat of primer to do on the hull and after that I will be doing a dunklegelb base coat.

Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 5:45 pm

A few tips to think about.

My Panther G. First try at painting. 20160625_162845_zpshyijmkmg

Wear gloves. I'm gonna try that next time.

Think of where you will put the freshly painted piece before you start painting. 

Also before you start painting think of how you are going to hold and turn the part being painted. Particularly if it is a large and cumersome or slightly heavy piece like the hull.

I know a bunch of you already know this stuff. I just hope this eases newbies first attempts.

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 7:13 pm

Just remember that with the airbrush, you are trying to put on THIN coats and likely multiple coats. Don't try and cover everything perfectly the first time around.

Going with a light colour first also allows you to visually see easily what has been primed/base coated.
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 9:44 pm

If you are getting runs you are laying too much paint down brother. As Jarlath says thin coats. You will find that with alcohol as a thinner it dries very quickly...

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Negaduck
Captain
Captain
Negaduck

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 10:36 pm

doing some practice spray lines on white paper will help you out to judge your spraying distance and travel speed for the  primer/base coat. it will also let you know if the paint nozzle needs cleaning at any stage of painting. when spraying i would say the paper should be no more than 30% covered. you can use that same steps to practice doing thin line for camo. you just will be closer to the paper. Just be aware that with single action airbrush you have no control of the amount of paint you use so you will need to[url=#4526783] speed upMy Panther G. First try at painting. Arrow-10x10[/url] your hand movements for thinner lines. Most of the time when you finish spraying everything this way the first thing you painted will be dry but if it still has a shine to it leave it base coats should not be glossy 

if anything when plan your camo job go from light colours to dark that way you can use a pencil to draw light line for you strips and the darker paint will cover it up unless you want to freehand it then it doesn't really matter as much 

when I'm painting my tanks i'll prop them up on cans or on something that i can turn easierly so i don't have to touch the parts and this should help keep your hands cleaner. it also helps me to have the tank sitting at over elbow height when i am sitting down to do the base coat. I also have a light at hand so i can check everything over for misses before cleaning the brush

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 10:40 pm

I actually use a lazy susan and 2 pieces of wood. you can get them cheap at KW surplus Kim.

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 4:36 am

I did all the panel lines on my airbrushed tanks in BLACK, ontop of a regular coat of white / grey primer from Canadian Tire. Stood out nicely.

Yea with an airbrush you want wispy light coats. Expect to go over the same area dozens of times, in long flowing motions. The paint you put down should be drying in a matter of seconds. Thin coats let you slowly adjust the tone and shade of your top coat vs the highlighting base coats.

kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 11:53 am

All good advice. I'll try these techniques in my next coat.

Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 7:47 pm

The follow up coats of primer went so much better! No drips and no runs. Next hopefully a base dunklegelb!

One little tip for newbies like me. Light items that need to be painted, such as wheel hub screw covers, will blow away with an airbrush. I stuck em on a piece of painters tape to hold em. Since the inside doesn't show, I don't even have to worry about painting the other side.  

My Panther G. First try at painting. 20160629_183349_zpsgv3d7agv

General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Good job with the tape, yea it can be a total pain holding the tiny bits Razz

Since I'm lazy when I start a new large paint project I hit the entire thing with a coat of Armor Coat primer, it's cheap and easy and any top coat colours go onto it great.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/armor-coat-primer-gray-0480621p.html#srp

kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 1:16 pm

The base dunklegelb colour is now down. It closer to a tan but I'm fine with that. I mixed dollar store brilliant yellow, 3 parts, with dollar store cinnamon brown, 1 part, to get it. I think I could have done 2 parts yellow, 1 part brown and that would have been closer to dunklegelb. It looks a lot lighter in the pictures.

My Panther G. First try at painting. 20160708_203303_zpsa5y8zpyw

I still have one or two coats to put down, so I still could darken it, I don't think I will change it.

My Panther G. First try at painting. 20160708_210330_zpsju68jwsb

Once that is done it's planning the camo pattern and mixing my green camo colour. I found this file to help planning the pattern. 

My Panther G. First try at painting. Panther%20camo%20layout_zpsizy5pn3d

That is hopefully next week's steps.

Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Possible camo idea for the panther. Very rough idea and I think the pattern needs to be denser. 

My Panther G. First try at painting. Panther%20layout%20b1_zps84xl2eop

I  am also not to sure about the ambush style speckles either.

But it's an idea to work from.

Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jughead

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 7:13 pm

That's a cool paint scheme , If you need a tank to battle with I got a spare , just to get you out there , lol , I've showed up to last 2 meets without a working tank and still had ton of fun just watching , trust me , you learn a lot , I'm back in action with recent clark order , you can use one of my stock HL setups with a mako in it , to make it tamiya compatible , a pershing and tiger that should be ready for next week at hach's battle in mississauga, your welcome to them , just bring a fresh battery
Back to top Go down
kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 9:33 pm

Oh I am so tempted to take you up on that. I would die. My wife made plans for us. Since I don't have a running tank, I wasn't planning on going. If I am still in the process of painting in August, I hope I'll be done, I'll take you up on that, if you are going to the August meet!

Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 1:23 pm

I mixed dollar store paints to get the green I wanted.
9 parts hunter green
1 part vivid yellow 
1 part black

Then free handed the base green pattern. 
My Panther G. First try at painting. 20160724_114351_zpsmmbejkdu

After a few coats it seems to be turning out pretty good. I don't  want a hard edge to the pattern, so freehand is working out well.

My Panther G. First try at painting. 20160724_124608_zpsv9zsnhyr

I just need to do a bunch more layers. Then on to the brown.

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 6:20 pm

Very nice!
Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 5:27 am

That looks really nice man Smile

kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 2:41 pm

Thanks! I am hoping the finished project turns out good.  I am kinda leaning toward not doing the ambush pattern spatter on it. I still have time to descided.  I may try a test pattern on an old model first.

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Panther G. First try at painting.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next