Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Issues with atak zimmerit
My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby ZackM Yesterday at 9:37 pm

» HERITAGECON 2024
My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 9:09 pm

» Churchill Crocodile
My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:42 pm

» Aquino - July 26-28 2024
My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:55 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:20 pm

» Last order of TARR smokers...
My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Smittyburger Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:14 pm

» Stug (why can't i have a 4 letter title)
My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:52 pm

» WHAT IS THIS?
My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby MikeC Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:35 pm

» Taigen KV metal swing arms
My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Maczek Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:50 pm

Top posting users this month
MikeC
My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 I_vote_lcapMy Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 I_voting_barMy Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
Hammertime999999999
My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 I_vote_lcapMy Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 I_voting_barMy Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
dgsselkirk
Jarlath
Maczek
ZackM
Negaduck
mx_599
Smittyburger

My Panther G. First try at painting.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tomzag
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 7:01 pm

look much better than me.
Back to top Go down
kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:15 pm

After roughing in the green camo freehand last week, I roughly reassembled the panther to see how well I eyed the connecting lines, at worst I was a few mm off. Where my lines were off, I marked the corrections with a pen.  

Originally, I didn't extend the green to the lower hull behind the road wheels, I coincidently listened to a podcast about locations of existing tanks in Europe.

http://ww2podcast.com/ww2-podcast/wwii-tank-hunting/

and found out about a website called  tank-hunter.com

http://tank-photographs.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/index.html

This site has the locations of wrecks and restored tanks. The restorations show the camo pattern extended down the lower hull behind the road wheels. So I exteneed my camo to go behind the road wheels. 

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160730_130138_zpsiqlohhuz

Here is the rough assembled tank with green camo.

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160730_124058_zpso1wvl0yd

Next week or with luck this weekend the cinnamon brown lines added to the camo pattern. Cinnamon brown is a close enough colour for me a red brown so I don't feel the need the alter it.

Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 2:46 pm

The brown is roughed in. Still need a few layers and filling in the transition from green to brown. 

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160807_142708_zpsjjzrrg7p

After that a black green between the brown and green.

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 7:17 am

Looks nice!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 11:40 am

The brown is on. 

I has an airbrush mishap while cleaning it. Cleaning the connection with the paint feeder with a q-tip pushed air through and coloured water spattered out. I was facing close enough to the tank that a couple of drops messed a bit of the finished section. Luckily it was an easy repaint. 

So note to self. Clean facing away from completed painting projects!

I thought some of you might want to see my test paint tank. It has been invaluable for trying techniques and camo patterns and colours. I originally built it in my teens and it survived to become my experiment.

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160813_111504_zpsnm0tdhwv

I may be done the camo by next weekend but a miracle to finish the repairs.

Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Tiger Power

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 12:54 pm

looking good kim

Back to top Go down
Jughead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jughead

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 2:17 pm

Great job , as I told you a month ago , I got lots of ir tanks ready for anybody to use , hk t6 and henglong radios with Clarks and makos installed , easiest tanks in the world to drive , just gotta show up .......
Back to top Go down
kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 7:20 pm

Thanks for all the positve comments!  I can kinda see the finish!

I'll see what plans the wife has made, and see if I can make it out. Lots of family coming over the 21st, so It might be cleaning duty. I was really hoping the best at the point where I had the panther running for this weekend. 

Anyone have suggestions on a clear protective coat or flat coat to use and any idea where to get it?

Retired
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 8:43 pm

Canadian tire
Walmart

rustoleumMy Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Projec10

kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 10:28 am

Awesome thanks. 

Is one coat enough or how many layers are needed to put a good protective coat on?

Retired
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 4:56 pm

make sure you get the one that says Clear one has a green tint to it  it has it on the side of the can i usually just spray a nice coat to cover everything and that's it usually a lot left over for maybe 4 -6 tanks maybe morenever really kept track of itMy Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Wp_20122

dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 5:05 pm

Be very, very, careful using this product. It reacts with some paints creating a very cloudy finish. Make sure you test it out on your guinea pig tank.
I personally don't like the finish. I much prefer matt lacquer that I find most RR guys use. But it is lacquer so you have to make sure you really run the old lacquer thinner through your airbrush. Very stinky stuff but quite a nice high..... LOL!
Looking forward to seeing it on the field!

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 11:02 pm

That looks great, even your test tank looks fantastic Razz

The last can of easy-clear-coat I tried was from WalMart, something along the lines of "chalk finish" It left a tiny bit of gloss but that's more likely because I sprayed a ton of it on... while outside. Didn't react at all with my regular acrylics Very Happy

knispel
Retired
knispel

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 4:43 pm

Just a thought.
If we had some genius in our club that could develop a way to adapt an air brush style sprayer for aerosol type cans it would let us us readily available colours and save a lot of cleaning.
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member4.html
Jughead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jughead

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 7:40 pm

Our local paint supplier for our shop has the original ral American olive drab paint code and can put it in a full size aerosol can that will do three or four tanks , also can match any desert yellow , panzer colors , etc , it's a water based acrylic, so it will change color upon the rustoleom window frost dull coat , but does not fog up ,example , it will turn a dark or desert yellow a little darker , any body interested in a can let me know
Back to top Go down
kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2016 8:54 pm

I've still got layers to put on but here's the beginning of the end!

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160819_202115_zpspbuum0ec

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160819_202244_zpsfmeba7zd

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160819_202507_zps1xhkcztl

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160819_202542_zpsn7vfjbqb

I'm liking the look, I am thinking that the ambush speckles are a no go. I don't want to mess around with the pattern.  I might try it on the test tank for kicks though.  I also wanna be done the majority of the painting. 

There is still finish coat, insignia, tools and equipment, possible weathering, blah blah blah!

And repairs!

Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2016 9:20 pm

I looked at a couple of different finishes coat sprays. With the ideas that were passed on, I looked around and found this at Michael's. 

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160819_203029_zpsbemhglj6

It seems the perfect spray. With a half off coupon it was just over $8.00. You can get the coupon from the flyer or on your phone at checkout. 

So not a bad deal

Here's the tests: 

Guinea pig. I sprayed a bit too long so it's got a slight sheen.

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160819_211253_zpstdgxzp2w

Then the back of the road wheels: 

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160819_203109_zps9zqclute

Light spray no sheen. Seems good!

Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 9:30 pm

The matt finish is on and it's looking good.The yellow darkened just like on the test. That's OK by me. 

I have started reassembling and repairing. Once I have it reassembled I'll post pictures. 

I have to replace the IR emitter.  The original was just glued to the gun site hole.  Should I just do the same or try to mount a tube to place the emitter into. There's not much space there. If I use a tube should I go plastic or metal. Coloured? Any suggestions would be great.

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 1:00 pm

McDonald's straw exact size. Paint to taste... :-)

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 9:28 pm

dgsselkirk wrote:
McDonald's straw exact size. Paint to taste... :-)
Rubbermaid straws work too.

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160902_164236_zpsu2skewbz

A screw hole mount for the pivot for the cannon broke. 

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160902_173443_zpsjpccss3p

I am going to epoxy washers to make the same height. Got some longer replacement screws. Hopefully it works. Gonna try that over the weekend.

Just in case anyone has a spare or knows where to get one. Please let me know. Having a plan B would be good!

Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Tiger Power

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 9:56 pm

Shrink tube , put around part still there heat the end to form then you have the spot for the tube to sit in

Back to top Go down
kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 9:07 pm

I cut out part of the barrel mount so I could remove the cracked posts. Used a post piece to measure the height better.  2  x #4 washers work. I epoxied them together. Let them dry. Then epoxied them to the barrel mount. 

First time the glue didn't mix right and it didn't harden. My bad grumble rushed too much. 

Second time out seems good. Here's the fix:

My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 20160907_194024_zpsrpjgkjxs

Tomorrow the reassembly continues. No snags and I should be good to run for the weekend. No way to test my IR yet. Maybe I'll try plugging it into the board and using my camera on it tomorrow before final turret reassembly.

Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jughead

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Good job , hope it works for you , don't wanna see ya miss another meet , like Larry the cable guy says , Get er done ! Lol
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2016 8:30 am

Looks Good. I'm in the middle of renovating my "Man Cave" for modelling and other hobbies. But between work, wife planned weekends, and weather I'm at a loss of time for completing any home projects... I hope to be able to get as good a paint result as you for my first airbrush attempt (When I finally get setup...)
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
kwa
Corporal
Corporal
kwa

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2016 12:39 pm

Jarlath wrote:
Looks Good. I'm in the middle of renovating my "Man Cave" for modelling and other hobbies. But between work, wife planned weekends, and weather I'm at a loss of time for completing any home projects... I hope to be able to get as good a paint result as you for my first airbrush attempt (When I finally get setup...)

I just hope newbies, like me, can learn from what I and others are sharing to make their own choices and maybe avoid some potential mistakes or disasters. Even to give ideas to do things in a different, or better way, would be great.

PostSubject: Re: My Panther G. First try at painting.   My Panther G. First try at painting. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Panther G. First try at painting.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next