Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Issues with atak zimmerit
Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeby ZackM Yesterday at 9:37 pm

» HERITAGECON 2024
Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 9:09 pm

» Churchill Crocodile
Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:42 pm

» Aquino - July 26-28 2024
Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:55 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:20 pm

» Last order of TARR smokers...
Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeby Smittyburger Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:14 pm

» Stug (why can't i have a 4 letter title)
Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:52 pm

» WHAT IS THIS?
Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeby MikeC Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:35 pm

» Taigen KV metal swing arms
Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeby Maczek Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:50 pm

Top posting users this month
MikeC
Jagdpanther upgrade I_vote_lcapJagdpanther upgrade I_voting_barJagdpanther upgrade I_vote_rcap 
Hammertime999999999
Jagdpanther upgrade I_vote_lcapJagdpanther upgrade I_voting_barJagdpanther upgrade I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
dgsselkirk
Jarlath
Maczek
ZackM
Negaduck
mx_599
Smittyburger

Jagdpanther upgrade

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

Jagdpanther upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 11:47 am

So after my son ripped out a gear set of his Jagdpanther in Mississauga (first my KV-1 at Aquino in Oshawa), it was time to perform surgery...

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2025

Gut out the innards and brace it up.. Resin under the gearboxes, bulkhead brace behind them. Epoxied a 1mm belly pan over the old battery cover to give a nice working surface.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2024

Yup. Went with Steel. No more GD torn teeth for this Jagdpanther... Resin goes up to the bottom of the gearbox mounts. Had to dremel out the screw clearance for the gearbox frame fasteners (2 flathead screws).

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2023 

2mm styrene bulkhead/brace epoxied into place. Will add another 1mm sheet to the opening area for mounting more stuff.

Still working on the design for a 3D printed gun recoil kit... Looking at a super compact version for you Dean, current design shows about 12mm of travel with a stock arm that comes with the Emax servo. I'm looking at some springs for incorporating the recoil.

Worst case is that I put the old on back in for now...
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2033
Clark KT Board installed (In an old RX18 box, Velcro'd down)
Receiver installed.
Gears worn in (run for 30-45 minutes with grease/no load) direct power hookup. Heat sinks added and will add in a small fan hooked up to one of the channels on the receiver to get some air flow over the motors...

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2034
Battery retaining wall and cross beam (12x12mm square tube) installed. Battery is Velcro'd.
Rear angled panel has been epoxied into place as well as screwed in.

Still going to add in the master power switch, and aluminum crossbar/stiffener just to the rear of the receiver. Also need the speaker mount, volume control, etc...
Then I'll finish the upper.
Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 6:32 pm

That's a nice clean set up so far, well done in there.

Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 10:46 pm

So decided to do a bit more to complete the lower of the JP.
Battery cable connection to the clark.
Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2035
WTF You may say? Is that Loom on the battery cable? Why yes. Yes it is.
What is with those funky bends you ask? All the better to route neatly.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2038
Some pieces of tape currently holding the switch plate and the aluminum crossbeam in place. I will have a couple more cable clamps in place to secure the battery cable loom side more securely.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2037
You will note the use of a Mark One Eyeball for aligning the cross beam behind the elevation gear on the upper.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2036
The keen eyed folk may notice that I've done something to one of the spades that connect to the switch. I added heat shrink to one (the other is forthcoming) in order to ensure no bridging accidentally. The loom loop will go the other way once complete to prevent any pushing against the Clark board.

Need to grab some nice truss head machine screws to secure the crossbeam in place..Next will be the speaker, Not sure if I will enhance the switch mount to put in the volume pot or not. Maybe I'll just short that and do a MikeC and run it loud... Smile But once the speaker is in place it will be time to Bind and field test the lower...
Back to top Go down
VK3601
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 pm

That is a sweet setup. I only have a rudimentary understanding of the components used but I
appreciate how organized it is! Where did you get the heat sinks for the motors? I like the idea of the bulk heads but don't have near enough experience to understand how best to customize the inside of a tank. Look great!
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 am

Heat sinks were off of Ebay.
As this is my first full conversion, I'm learning as I go... I did look at the tanks of several others who customize their tanks, aka gut tthem and rebuild them (Dgsselkirk & MikeC jump to the forefront, but there are many more).
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 9:02 am

OK. So the lower hull is pretty much complete except for a magnet or five to be installed for securing the upper hull to the lower hull.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2059
On/Off switch, speaker, and volume control installed. Still a ton of room if I want to add in an Amplifier. No Smoker for this tank, although I could mount it beside the Clark/Receiver.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2062
The overall layout of the lower hull. I'm debating on securing the hull with magnets and/or a latch system...
Cross bracing and bulkheads fully installed.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2061
The Clark Board nestled in the hull. Wiring routing is controlled to ensure that wires to the upper hull are clear and simple to work on/remove.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2063
I ditched the idea of a fan for the front motors. In the next iteration (Other son's Jagdpanther) I'll make sure the bulkhead has vent holes to ensure the fan(s) are mounted lower. I may still put a fan over the clark board (to cool the FETs slightly).

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2058
The prototype Jarlath Compact Recoil unit, installed. 5mm tube pivot. Custom Gen 1 Jagdpanther mantlet mount on left. (With a heavily modded mantlet).

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2064
Taigen HID Flash until installed. (Required additional drilling through the recoil unit. Will be incorporated into Gen 3 aka Revision 2.0)

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2060
Had to trim the airsoft feeder above the recoil unit. It was interfering with the servo linkage operation. Also had to trim a single tab from the pivot swivel bracket as it scraped the servo (Barely).
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 10:08 am

Nice, looks very sturdy !
Back to top Go down
hachleopard2
Captain
Captain
hachleopard2

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Very neat layout Mike !
Back to top Go down
Jughead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jughead

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 10:05 pm

In regards to heat sinks on motors , do you think they run hot ? I've never checked my tanks after a 10 minute run , since I thought it was never an issue since it's in a gear reduction gearbox , I'm going to check my stock henglongs next time ,got my curiosity , I know running between grass and dirt will make a difference , grass is  much harder on the drive trains , we all know that , lo,
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 12:01 am

I don't know. But I have a pair of kids who will run tanks until a 2S 5000Mah Battery alarms... And then some.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 11:39 pm

And so I have hit my first roadblock.. And it is a ^%$%& pita...

Heng Long JP with metal tracks, sprockets & idlers.

New Taigen Steel gearbox... = Old Sprockets do not fit any more... Oh FFS!!!!!

Knowing my luck a set of Taigen sprockets will Fubar the track alignment too...
Back to top Go down
Airbrushler
Retired
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2017 12:44 am

why Metal Tracks nobody really uses them

Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2017 7:49 am

Airbrushler wrote:
why Metal Tracks nobody really uses them
Cause that is what the tank came with. Which type of tracks is immaterial however.

New gearbox motors have larger socket head cap screws which do not fit the HL Sprockets...
Back to top Go down
Dan10channel
Corporal
Corporal
Dan10channel

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 am

Very nice setup! Especially for your first conversion!

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 4:43 pm

So the trials have ended... At the last meet (Sept 2017 KW Garrison) my son drove the tank for over 3 hours in battle while running into everything under the sun (except water thankfully).

The recoil unit performed flawlessly. Only issue was a slight mis-alignment of the cannon in relation to vehicle centerline which was result of using an ultra thin wall 5mm OD brass tube for the pivot. One side developed a flat spot from hitting the plastic mount in the turret (teach me to cheap out on tubing)...

So a very successful test run. YAY!

Jagdpanther upgrade Jarlat10
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2019 10:48 am

So one year later and a severely worn driveline, Justins JP had developed a nasty habit of trying to throw tracks unsuccessfully (Track would shift on Idler and inside alignment teeth would run in the centre of the rear idler.
Time for an upgrade...
Enter a Taigen/RCTank torsion bar lower with tension adjusters.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2044
Taigen Steel Gearboxes installed, will keep the heat sinks on them.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2042
That component mounting plate supplied is so flimsy... So added a piece of 2mm poly and brass tubing on the mounting posts for stiffness and protect from cracking from screws.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2043
New floorpan installed. Runs from just in front of the upper release to just behind the motor mount plate. Nice...
Yes those are the plastic HL roadwheels. I'll use them for a bit still. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Finally had a chance to do a couple simple layout mods...

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2052
Layout of the battery area and Clark board mounting with air flow ability beneath the board.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2051
Board and battery placed into position, receiver will be velcro'd opposite of the Lipo Alarm.
I never really realized how much space the Taigen upper hull lock system took up until this...
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 10:06 pm

I am designing it so that I can remove the entire electronics tray from the tank if need be (aka nothing attached to the hull that would require removing connections or components (unbolting or unscrewing).
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Well FOOK!

Broken Sprocket from Big Mike's over exuberant install force.. FFS.

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2054

The Mato sprocket... Does NOT run the track properly... Diameter is too big and starts to skip tracks (Poor link/tooth meshing).

Jagdpanther upgrade Img_2055

Note to Self.. Never buy Mato parts... They fit nothing else...
So now looking for a couple spare Taigen metal sprockets once again Sad
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2019 11:26 pm

OK. Received and installed the new Sprocket!
Both drivelines installed fully. Had to remove a link as well.
Quick test = Fully functional drive system! Now to the on/off switch and volume control...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jagdpanther upgrade   Jagdpanther upgrade Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jagdpanther upgrade

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1