Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Tongde Pro Churchills for sale
TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Today at 10:43 am

» Hello new here
TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 6:49 am

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 6:11 am

» Aquino - July 26-28 2024
TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES.....
TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» Taigen KV metal swing arms
TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:10 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:41 pm

» HERITAGECON 2024
TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeby Negaduck Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:38 pm

TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:58 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
TBU Mounts... I_vote_lcapTBU Mounts... I_voting_barTBU Mounts... I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
MikeC
dgsselkirk
Jarlath
Maczek
Bktanker
ZackM
Smittyburger
Negaduck

TBU Mounts...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

TBU Mounts... Empty
PostSubject: TBU Mounts...   TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2018 11:09 pm

SO I finally got around to printing my prototype TBU Mounts...

TBU Mounts... Tbu_pr10

Made from ABS, with 8 screw holes for those that want to screw them down, but a flat base and a Dupont 5pin connector inserted into the TBU shaped protrusion. Currently there is no connector on the other end of the cables. The cables are about 15cm (6") with the current one, which may be a tad short for some tanks, so I ordered a bunch of 25+cm versions. I will be adding on a connector of a JST-XH (Clark board) or any others that I can find... Screw Holes also help for orientation 0 or 45 degree mounting.

There will be two versions.
1. An offset mount so that the TBU sits in the center of the circle (Close to a factory Tamiya mounting plate).
2. A central mount on a slightly smaller base.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

TBU Mounts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBU Mounts...   TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2018 12:05 am

Nice. How does the Tamiya mushroom fitting ? Clark ones are always a little snug, not like the factory ones which I have been collecting for that reason. If it is better fit then the Clark ones then I will have to buy some from you.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

TBU Mounts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBU Mounts...   TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2018 9:17 am

Do you mean fitting the apple onto the base? It is snug to push onto and remove from the mount, but that is easily fixed with a bit of sanding. Or do you mean physical size?

TBU Mounts... Tamiya12

Again these are prototypes... (aka proof of concept).
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

TBU Mounts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBU Mounts...   TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2018 9:18 am

If you have a Tamiya base you will notice a difference between the factory one and the Clark one. I will give it a try for sure !
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

TBU Mounts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBU Mounts...   TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2018 9:27 am

The second version, non Tamiya offset base.

TBU Mounts... Custom10

I can also make the Tamiya base version with or without the locking lug. The lug design does need some refinement as FDM printing is not as strong as a cast/molded plastic part like the factory Tamiya...
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

TBU Mounts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBU Mounts...   TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 3:17 pm

So initial Tamiya mount clone design...

TBU Mounts... Tamiya14
You can see the rings of the apple on the outside edges of the 3D printed base/circle...It looks like the printed part will be larger than the apple tower up to the hit LED indicators. (Give or take a bit).

TBU Mounts... Tamiya13
Tamiya unlocked. Please note this is a quick prototype. I broke three tabs already trying to trim the notch.

TBU Mounts... Tamiya16
With the lock engaged.

Note that the apple does have some resistance when installing/removing. I have not yet determined if the pins are not 100% aligned, or if the insertion of the friction fit 5P DuPont connector is bowing out the mount itself. Leaning to the former however...
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

TBU Mounts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBU Mounts...   TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 4:30 pm

MikeC wrote:
Nice. How does the Tamiya mushroom fitting ? Clark ones are always a little snug, not like the factory ones which I have been collecting for that reason. If it is better fit then the Clark ones then I will have to buy some from you.
funny, I have 7 tanks plus 4 I have sold in the last year and I never have any issues with the Clark bases. I like that the apples sit snug on them.  Very Happy

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

TBU Mounts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBU Mounts...   TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Just confirmed it is not the alignment of pins, nor the 3D printed part. It is the sockets in the connector that the TBU Apple pins slot into. The spring resistance is enough to give the snug feeling.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

TBU Mounts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBU Mounts...   TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 6:37 pm

dgsselkirk wrote:
MikeC wrote:
funny, I have 7 tanks plus 4 I have sold in the last year and I never have any issues with the Clark bases. I like that the apples sit snug on them.  Very Happy

I am just allergic to Clark stuff that's all....... I think it probably has something to do with the 3D printed stuff more rough than the smooth ABS factory plastic. Also the 3D printed stuff are angular vs rounded edges.

I will continue my collecting of TBU base at the meantime, but Clark's and Big Mike's all much easier to mount inside the cupola than the Tamiya ones on non-Tamiya tank for sure.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

TBU Mounts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBU Mounts...   TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Jarlath wrote:
Just confirmed it is not the alignment of pins, nor the 3D printed part. It is the sockets in the connector that the TBU Apple pins slot into. The spring resistance is enough to give the snug feeling.

Mike, I wouldn't bother too much with the clip lock. In most cases you can mount it such that the cupola will become the lock anyway.
Back to top Go down
knispel
Retired
knispel

TBU Mounts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBU Mounts...   TBU Mounts... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2018 3:24 am

MikeC wrote:

Mike, I wouldn't bother too much with the clip lock. In most cases you can mount it such that the cupola will become the lock anyway.

I agree , the friction fit has worked in my favour in situations where lets say someone drives their tank into a tunnel that is too low, in which case the receiver was knocked off with minimal damage.  Smile
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member4.html
Sponsored content

TBU Mounts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBU Mounts...   TBU Mounts... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TBU Mounts...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1