Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Issues with atak zimmerit
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeby ZackM Yesterday at 9:37 pm

» HERITAGECON 2024
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 9:09 pm

» Churchill Crocodile
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:42 pm

» Aquino - July 26-28 2024
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:55 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:20 pm

» Last order of TARR smokers...
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeby Smittyburger Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:14 pm

» Stug (why can't i have a 4 letter title)
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:52 pm

» WHAT IS THIS?
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeby MikeC Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:35 pm

» Taigen KV metal swing arms
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeby Maczek Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:50 pm

Top posting users this month
MikeC
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada I_vote_lcapCost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada I_voting_barCost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada I_vote_rcap 
Hammertime999999999
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada I_vote_lcapCost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada I_voting_barCost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
dgsselkirk
Jarlath
Maczek
ZackM
mx_599
Smittyburger
Negaduck

Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Empty
PostSubject: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi,

Just thought it might be interesting to show the actual cost of getting a Tamiya Tank in Canada just in case someone is interested. I usually order from AAF at Danville, and due to Tamiya's recent restriction, they cannot advertise a price below some percentage of MSRP, so you have to click buy and put it into the cart before you see the actual price.

As a Christmas gift to myself I decided to get a FO M1A2, which has an MSRP of $1,695 USD and retails for $1,186 USD. The actual price is $900 USD which is typical of the price for mid level pricing (i.e. older model like KV-1 are $775 USD, and newer ones like Type-10 are $1,000 USD. Note The Sheridan is the first new release from Tamiya that is not over $1,000 USD because it is a light tank).

So $900 USD for the actual tank, and AAF only ship to Canada with UPS which adds another $90 USD for Shipping. So AAF total charge is about $1,000 USD or roughly $1,300 CAD.

When the tanks shows up at custom, there is sales tax on the full value which adds another $150 CAD and $70CAD for brokerage fee.

This brings the total to just over $1,500 CAD for a FO M1A2 to Canada.

The bad news is that I am not too sure if I can get it any cheaper here any other way.

Funny enough I have seen display version of the M1A2 selling for about $500 CAD + HST in hobby stores and was always tempted by it. In hindsight it is an even better deal than I thought.

Mike.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 2:04 pm

My Tiger I is cheap by comparison... Smile LOL.

Nice tank BTW!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Shoveler74
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Shoveler74

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Mike. What would Canada Post charge to ship from Ft. Erie to you?

Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 4:28 pm

Shoveler74 wrote:
Mike. What would Canada Post charge to ship from Ft. Erie to you?

Chris, I think the $90 USD from UPS is actually pretty reasonable. I have been shipping tanks to the US and Canada Post charges me around $60 CAD. The problem is with the additional brokerage fee and the sales tax which is a killer.

When you help me out last time by shipping it to you and bringing it to me I didn't have to pay sales tax or brokerage fee obviously, and USPS was $40 USD to New York state. Of course you could have got dinged at the border for the sales tax still for bringing it over.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 4:32 pm

Jarlath wrote:
My Tiger I is cheap by comparison... Smile LOL.

Nice tank BTW!

Yeah I still think about your Tiger I sometimes. The M1A2 is actually quite reasonable in the Tamiya scheme of things since the FO includes gun stabilization and target locking. The older Leopard 2A5 release you have to buy gun stabilization unit separately and it does not include target locking.
Back to top Go down
Negaduck
Captain
Captain
Negaduck

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 1:34 pm

I wonder how much borgfeldt sell them for. i hear they sell to the public now

http://www.borgfeldt.ca/catalogpc.htm?Category=799_56000_R%2FC_TANKS&NBReset=3

Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 1:55 pm

Who are these guys ? Wholesellers I guess ?
Back to top Go down
Negaduck
Captain
Captain
Negaduck

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 5:05 pm

i know they are suppliers of many hobbies in Markham for hobby shops with a bad rep of not having anything tamiya parts in stock when the stores need them. they use to hosted all the tamiya TCS racing for the area

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 8:21 pm

Borgfeldt is the primary Tamiya importer in Canada. Has been for awhile now.

AKA You see a bunch of Tamiya Models on the shelf at your local Canadian model/hobby shop? Likely they got it from Borgfeldt in one form or another If not directly, then through a distributor.
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 9:22 am

Yes, they have been the distributor for Tamiya since the 70's. To give you an idea just for fun I asked at my local toy and hobby store what the price of a full option PZ. IV would be and was quoted $1400. Reason I asked was because they have a frequent flyer card that earns you 25% off . Takes 10 trips to store and minimum $25.00 purchase so not a bad deal. Hell I spend that just on paint to do one of Mike's tanks! LOL!  Razz Razz Razz

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 9:47 am

dgsselkirk wrote:
Yes, they have been the distributor for Tamiya since the 70's. To give you an idea just for fun I asked at my local toy and hobby store what the price of a full option PZ. IV would be and was quoted $1400. Reason I asked was because they have a frequent flyer card that earns you 25% off . Takes 10 trips to store and minimum $25.00 purchase so not a bad deal. Hell I spend that just on paint to do one of Mike's tanks! LOL!  Razz Razz Razz

I have a card or two filled for there as well Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 3:22 pm

dgsselkirk wrote:

Wow so my $1,500 M1A2 is not so bad which is what I thought.

Here are some pictures of the features. Dual motors but one is for turning and one is for driving, similar to the DKLM PDSGB. Horizontal and vertical gun stabilization, servo elevation  and ball bearinged turret rotation.
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Dscn2714
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Dscn2716
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 3:23 pm

Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Dscn2717
Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Dscn2718
Back to top Go down
Ukiewolf
Sergeant
Sergeant
Ukiewolf

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2021 1:06 pm

Hey Mike C.  I don't know if you remember me.  I bought that ZTZ 99 from you a couple of years ago.
I have now bought from Kaptain Jack his Tamiya Tiger 1 and will be picking it up tomorrow (Jan 22/21).  Unfortunately it needs an IR system and a controller.  My question is, that fancy controller with the video feature that came with the ZTZ 99, can it be programed and bound to the Tamiya Tiger so that I can use the same controller to work on both tanks (not at the same time)?
If I need a new controller, where can I get one or put out feelers to the club?
Also, same goes for the IR system.
Thanks Mike.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Hey Peter nice to hear form you again. Absolutely you can use the same controller for it. I can't remember if I included and extra receiver with the ZTZ, but I have a spare one here if you need it so then you don't need to swap out receivers from one tank to another. Send me you address and I will drop it in the mail for you. The controller is DEVO F7 right ?

MikeC.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2021 1:24 pm

Also since it is a Tamiya tank, you will need to get an Tamiya IR kit online somewhere. They are usually about $100 USD. Jack might have mounted the TBU in the turret already so putting IR on is not that much work if he did it already.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada   Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cost of a Tamiya Tank to Canada

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1