Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Tongde Pro Churchills for sale
Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Today at 12:49 pm

» Hello new here
Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 6:49 am

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 6:11 am

» Aquino - July 26-28 2024
Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES.....
Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» Taigen KV metal swing arms
Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:10 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:41 pm

» HERITAGECON 2024
Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeby Negaduck Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:38 pm

Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:58 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! I_vote_lcapHi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! I_voting_barHi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! I_vote_lcapHi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! I_voting_barHi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! I_vote_rcap 
MikeC
dgsselkirk
Jarlath
Maczek
Bktanker
ZackM
Smittyburger
Negaduck

Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VFX-Rob
Private

Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 4:21 pm

I am relatively new to the actual running/building of  RC tanks,however quite a pro at stock piling kits.😏

Having only had experience with Tamiya builds for RC, I am truly hoping someone can tell me if Torro and Matomart offer good products in comparison and how reliable/durable there offerings are? 

I would really appreciate any wisdom in this area.

Thanks everyone!
Rob
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 7:01 pm

HI Rob welcome. My opinion would be that Mato offer all plastic or all metal tanks, and neither of them are very good. Torro/Taigen seems to have figured out the right balance of plastic and metal and is a much better product, I would say very close to a Tamiya level if you buy their top end ones.

From a price point of view, if you get a top end Torro/Taigen and then plan on replacing the electronics and some of the components you are not that far off a Tamiya in terms of cost and quality.
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 7:45 pm

What Mike said. Just depends on the tank you are looking for...

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
VFX-Rob
Private

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 11:36 pm

Thanks for answering my question. 

Of course, your answers make me even more curious:

What are the typical, frequently encountered with the best of Hen long/Mato that make you avoid them?

Are Torro/Taigen the same company?

Lastly, the you say that even the high end Pro Torro tanks are still not up to Tamiya quality, could you elaborate in what way?

I'm really new to the non Tamiya tank world and want to spend my money wisely for a tank. Any further details would be hugely appreciated!grin

Thanks,
Rob
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 12:05 am

Rob, Heng Long is actually what got me into RC tanking. I didn't know they existed until I saw them at Toy show and was amazed. Tamiya pricing is simply inaccessible to most people who wants to get into hobby just to try it out. I have also owned all metal Mato tanks as well, and they are impressive in their own way.

For Heng Long all plastic tanks (or mostly plastic with metal parts) they are great if you want a collection without breaking the bank. The quality however is sadly lacking in all aspect but there are many ways (DIY or better after market parts) to improve them. The Mato all metal tanks are certainly impressive and I have own many of them, but the quality again is lacking, both in terms of the detail of the model, as well as the physical construction of them. I was actually quite amazed at how fragile they are given that you would expect an all metal tank to be indestructible.

Taigen/Torro basically has a very similar chassis construction as Tamiya, so they are probably the closest thing. However, the upper depended on whether you opt for the mostly metal versions, are basically identical to Heng Long uppers. They are interchangeable in lots of cases.

At the end of the day, the biggest decision I think is per unit cost you are comfortable with. If you are okay with owning one reliable and detail tank, I would definitely suggest a Tamiya. However, if you want to be able to own 1 or two different tanks for the same cost, then Taigen/Torro/Mato all metal ones are probably the next best option. Lastly, if you just want numbers, then Heng Long is the way to go. You can probably get close to 4-6 tanks for the price of one Tamiya.

One other factor that also narrows the price gap is battling capability. If you want to battle with others in tank clubs, you will need to equip your tanks with Tamiya compatible battle electronics. Obviously Tamiya comes with Tamiya compatible battle electronics, but other than Mato who ships some of their all metal tanks with an after market board (Clark) that is compatible with Tamiya, all the other tanks you will have to retro fit it with after market electronics to be compatible. This will add about $200 to each tank. If on the otherhand you are just a backyard warrior battling against yourself and some friends with you own tanks, then you just need to make sure you buy the same brand of tanks for them to be compatible (Heng Long to Heng Long although they stop making IR tanks now, only AirSoft, Taigen/Torro to Taigen/Torro only etc). 

I think for someone who is new to the hobby, forking out $200 for a Heng Long tank just to see if you like it is a no brainer. On the otherhand, if you are not sure and have to shell out $1000 for a Tamiya tank is a little steep.
Back to top Go down
VFX-Rob
Private

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 12:25 am

Mike, thanks for that more in depth review. I want a solid, well built tank that , in scale, moves most like the real thing, and is the toughest possible.

I thought that the Torro Pro with almost all metal everything would be some tough hombre with the added weight and running feel. Am I wrong in that? As for battling, the one tank I wanted to get was the Jagdpanter, which of course all 3 companies make. Tamiya is the most expenisve, however, it bothers me that at that price everything is still mostly plastic. Swapping out plastic for metal on the already premium price you pay for Tamiya can get quite expensive very fast. If the Germans (Torro) have made an almost all metal tank , I would "hope" that they were more rugged than the Tamiya. (Yes, no?) (Oh and it seems the Torro top of the line one is Airsoft only, so if I wanted to do battles, I'd have to buy a separate Tamiya sensor assembly)

If you could, please disregard any pricing in your breakdowns of what works and doesn't work well for each brand. Pretend money is no object, that I'm looking for more rugged realistic performance feel than minuscule detail accuracy. 

Look forward to your answer and thank you!
Rob
PS Torro/Taigen same company?
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 12:41 am

Sorry Rob, meant to reply about Torro/Taigen. Yes they are the same, but I believe Taigen also sell some all plastic tanks. When you buy Torro you know it is the high end version.

JagdPanther is an interesting one. I just finished building the Tamiya one, and the Heng Long one is one of my first tank and I also had the Taigen/Torro version. Unless something has change, the Torro "all metal" version of the JP does not have a metal upper. So basically it is the same tank as the Tamiya. Tamiya all has all metal lower chassis with torsion bar suspension and metal swing arms, the only difference between them is the Torro version comes with metal tracks/road wheels. The only "metal" upgrade you would do on a Tamiya would be metal tracks.

In terms of ruggedness I would say they are probably the same. Don't want to get into the debate of plastic tracks vs metals tracks. I have seen more bad metal tracks (Mato) break then good nylon tracks (Tamiya). I have never seen a plastic roadwheel "break" so again can't say that metal roadwheels would necessary be more rugged than metal ones. Don't get more wrong, I like an all metal tanks probably more than anybody else in the club, but all metal definitely does not equate to ruggedness.

Lastly, battle compatible is not simply the sensor assembly. It is the actual tank electronic that generate and receive the signals. You can uses a Heng Long sensor (not very good but it works) on a Tamiya compatible electronics, or an after market electronics with a Tamiya Sensor (The gold standard).
Back to top Go down
VFX-Rob
Private

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 2:19 am

Very interesting. Let me ask you this then: Doesn't the weight of the Torro JP give it a heavier and more realistic driving look than the Tamiya?
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 10:10 am

If you are after the heavy realistic look, then go for the heavy Torro ones, the one with the metal turrets like Tiger I/II or JS-2 or Panther, and then change the electronics to newer Clarks and IBUs. I would get one of those, run them and see if you like how they run then think about modding it. You might have to get an after market gearsets/motors as well.

Heng Longs and Tamiyas tend to run like rabbits on the field, and you really need weight, electronics and gearbox/motor combination to create the realism. I think the heavy Torros will give you the best out of the box realism and you can go from there. With the JP, maybe you can add some weight to the lower as the upper is all plastic other than the gun barrel.
Back to top Go down
VFX-Rob
Private

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 10:25 am

Thanks again for the info. Apologies for asking even more, however I am a complete novice when it comes to the electronics. I really appreciate the information. So, why does the high end Torro need an upgrade. What are it's deficiencies (I'm guessing as compared with Tamiya)? Poor Speed control? Poor range? Just the IR fighting ability?, etc)
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 10:32 am

Basically the tank electronic is just a combo multi function unit with ESCs, Tank specific functions and Sound generator all in one package. Torro MFUs are just not that great in terms of speed control, sound generating (i.e. limited sound set for different tanks) and incompatible battle system with Tamiya.

Tamiya has the right sound for each tank, better speed control (still tend to be faster than the real thing in my opinion) and obviously compatible battle system.

Newer aftermarket boards has the correct sound, good speed control (I am a IBU guy, but the newer Clarks does the same thing and supposedly better specs) and Tamiya compatible battle system.
Back to top Go down
VFX-Rob
Private

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 10:37 am

Thanks again. I get an overall picture now. Appreciate your patience. I have never heard of Clark or IBU, but I'll find them online. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Clark Boards & Stuff

IBU Advanced Electronic Systems

Neither are plug and play... You will need to do some rewiring to get full usage out of them.
Lots of us here do that sort of thing however... So make sure to ask!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Shoveler74
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Shoveler74

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi Rob. Welcome. 
Everything Mike has explained is absolutely fact. I just want to point out that anything you get, will most likely be tailored to your own desires. My first two tanks were both Tamiya. A Pershing and a Panther. This is perhaps an exception to the rule of start small until you know you like it. Both I upgraded in large and small ways. And both have been repaired many times. I am a technician/mechanic by trade and find it gratifyng fixing my own stuff for once. 
Whatever you decide, enjoy what you do. And of course, feel free to ask questions to anyone on this forum for assistance. 
Cheers

Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 1:07 pm

Jarlath wrote:
Clark Boards & Stuff

IBU Advanced Electronic Systems

Neither are plug and play... You will need to do some rewiring to get full usage out of them.
Lots of us here do that sort of thing however... So make sure to ask!

Technically IBU is designed to be plug and play. All the plugs on the board are Heng Long/Taigen/Torro pin compatible, as well as the Tamiya IR battle system (both IR emitter and the battle unit connector). I would say without doing re-wiring you get 95% of the functionality out of the box if you buy a non-Tamiya tank and an IBU board.
Back to top Go down
knispel
Retired
knispel

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 6:37 pm

Having said that my first ones were HL . I replace the electronics and had a lot of fun , however the plastic parts wear out in a few years so in the long run , after you decide its a great hobbies , go for the better value tank kits. ( Or let one of our Masters build one for you )
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member4.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!   Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi from Montreal. New and have BIG question!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1