Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Tongde Pro Churchills for sale
Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Today at 6:24 pm

» Hello new here
Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeby MikeC Today at 5:38 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 6:11 am

» Aquino - July 26-28 2024
Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES.....
Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» Taigen KV metal swing arms
Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:10 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:41 pm

» HERITAGECON 2024
Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeby Negaduck Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:38 pm

Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:58 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Childproofing-related question I_vote_lcapChildproofing-related question I_voting_barChildproofing-related question I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Childproofing-related question I_vote_lcapChildproofing-related question I_voting_barChildproofing-related question I_vote_rcap 
MikeC
dgsselkirk
Jarlath
Maczek
Bktanker
ZackM
Negaduck
Smittyburger

Childproofing-related question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

Childproofing-related question Empty
PostSubject: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm

I've got a wonderful little girl who is two years old, and loves her daddy's tanks.  We had a minor incident today when, before we could stop her, she grabbed at the tracks of my HL T-34 (which has plastic wheels and tracks).

The good news is that as far as we can tell she was just pinched, and no real harm was done.  However, it has got me thinking about what would have happened if those wheels, sprockets, and idlers had been metal (and part of what I'm planning for this tank over the next few months is to upgrade those parts).  So, I was wondering if anybody knows enough to advise on the following:

1. Am I correct that there is a significantly greater possibility of injury if another incident occurs when the wheels are metal?

2. If I am correct, how likely are the plastic tracks and wheels, etc., to stand up to use outdoors once the weather gets good?

Thank you in advance for any advice any of you might be able to give.
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2021 7:16 pm

Drive it till you break it. Then upgrade... :-)

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2021 7:28 pm

dgsselkirk wrote:
Drive it till you break it. Then upgrade... :-)

That's one way to do it, alright...

We ordered some of those plastic army men toy tanks for her (so that she has tanks that she CAN pick up while daddy is playing with his RC tanks), but those have to come from the US, so we're expecting it to be a while.  Until then, well, toddlers have a mind of their own...

(To clarify, when the tank arrived we did warn her that she must never stick her fingers in the wheels, and after the incident I took a couple of minutes to show her the wheels and the track and explain how it worked and why she mustn't ever do it again.  Hopefully the fact that her finger got pinched will prevent her from doing it again.  That said, we are still learning the degree to which toddlers lack impulse control.)
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2021 7:31 pm

Perhaps put it where said toddler can't reach it???  Very Happy

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2021 7:44 pm

dgsselkirk wrote:
Perhaps put it where said toddler can't reach it???  Very Happy

That's generally how we store the RC tanks.  When it's rolling around the basement shooting at the furniture, though... :-)
Back to top Go down
Airbrushler
Retired
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2021 8:01 pm

I'd watch those shootings of BB's you might not find all of them  could be a choking hazard ya metal tracks  and sprockets would cause more damage a lot of guys have metal suspension sprockets and idlers  but plastic tracks for battles you will have to just keep it away from her

Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2021 8:08 pm

Airbrushler wrote:
I'd watch those shootings of BB's you might not find all of them  could be a choking hazard ya metal tracks  and sprockets would cause more damage a lot of guys have metal suspension sprockets and idlers  but plastic tracks for battles you will have to just keep it away from her

The furniture gets shot with IR shots.  The second day I had the tank, I blocked off the BB feed with a little card hatch.  So, we can do some BB shooting outside sometime if we want to, but no projectiles are flying around indoors.

(The first safety concern was "what if she puts something in the feed that we don't know about, and then we end up accidentally firing something out of the tank that we thought was not loaded?" - so, blocking off the BB feed was a big first priority.)

Having a toddler is truly wonderful (and I say that sincerely), but it does keep you on your toes.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2021 10:59 pm

There should be a switch to turn off the BB completely. It is usually by the chute where you feed the BBs. It is usually red in colour.
Back to top Go down
Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 9:27 am

MikeC wrote:
There should be a switch to turn off the BB completely. It is usually by the chute where you feed the BBs. It is usually red in colour.

I just checked, and I'm not seeing one on or in the turret.

(I'm not too keen on opening up the tank and tinkering with the parts just yet, and I do have a workaround in place that blocks the chute in a way my daughter can't circumvent, so everything should be fine, I guess?)
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 10:05 am

Childproofing-related question Image_10

Do both turret hatches open like this HL version?
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 10:11 am

Robert B. Marks wrote:
MikeC wrote:

I just checked, and I'm not seeing one on or in the turret.

(I'm not too keen on opening up the tank and tinkering with the parts just yet, and I do have a workaround in place that blocks the chute in a way my daughter can't circumvent, so everything should be fine, I guess?)
My information is dated...... Apparently all the new BB tanks do not have that kill switch anymore. It used to be part of the trigger circuit like a safety on a gun.
Back to top Go down
Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 12:21 pm

Jarlath wrote:
Childproofing-related question Image_10

Do both turret hatches open like this HL version?

Yes for the copula (sp?), and no for the other (it opens facing the rear).  Inside the copula hatch is the BB ammo with the chute, and there are no buttons inside.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Childproofing-related question   Childproofing-related question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Childproofing-related question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1