Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» April 20th Field work morning and afternoon play!
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 12:26 pm

» Cause Of Flooding over The Field
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 7:26 am

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 6:11 am

» COST TO UPGRADE A TANK TO BATTLEFIELD STANDARDS
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 6:31 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 pm

» Tongde Pro Churchills for sale
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby MikeC Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:01 pm

» Work an Play Day April 6th!
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:39 am

» Dragon 1/6 M4 Sherman 76mm
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby MikeC Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:09 am

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_lcapTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_voting_barTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_lcapTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_voting_barTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Jarlath
Chimo
AngryMonkey
treemagnet
Hilario

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Empty
PostSubject: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2022 5:59 pm

So, the title almost says it all.  I was running tests today on my HL Stug III to see how it performs in grass prior to Aquino this year, and the tank seems to throw a track on just about every second sharper turn.  This is the case with both sides, and in both longer and shorter grass.

The specs on the tank are: upgraded metal gearbox, plastic wheels and suspension, plastic tracks.

Does anybody have experience with this sort of problem?  It would be a shame if Team Hippo had to become strictly an indoor tank.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 7:32 am

Robert B. Marks wrote:
So, the title almost says it all.  I was running tests today on my HL Stug III to see how it performs in grass prior to Aquino this year, and the tank seems to throw a track on just about every second sharper turn.  This is the case with both sides, and in both longer and shorter grass.

The specs on the tank are: upgraded metal gearbox, plastic wheels and suspension, plastic tracks.

Does anybody have experience with this sort of problem?  It would be a shame if Team Hippo had to become strictly an indoor tank.
Normally this is caused by one of two issues that deal with excessive track length.
1. Stretched track (Usually only occurs with plastic tracks)
2. Idlers/mounts are bending/loose from track tension (Plastic hull)

I assume that it is a HL tank with all plastic running gear? If a metal lower Taigen (Torsion Bar suspension) you could adjust the track tension.

You may have to grab some adjustable track tensioning idlers and install them.
https://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=748
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 8:08 am

Jarlath wrote:
Robert B. Marks wrote:

Normally this is caused by one of two issues that deal with excessive track length.
1. Stretched track (Usually only occurs with plastic tracks)
2. Idlers/mounts are bending/loose from track tension (Plastic hull)

I assume that it is a HL tank with all plastic running gear? If a metal lower Taigen (Torsion Bar suspension) you could adjust the track tension.

You may have to grab some adjustable track tensioning idlers and install them.
https://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=748

This only happens in grass, though - indoors the tank is fine.  Does this still suggest that the solution is track tensioning idlers (as opposed to upgrading the suspension arms to metal)?
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 10:02 am

Yes. As you turn and the track grips the grass, the slack in the track allows grass to try and bunch up at the pivot pins/outer track projections and causes the track horn to ride out of the wheel/idler groove and throw the track.

On a smooth floor indoors, no real grip in turning = no track tension issues.
Back to top Go down
Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 10:06 am

Jarlath wrote:
Yes. As you turn and the track grips the grass, the slack in the track allows grass to try and bunch up at the pivot pins/outer track projections and causes the track horn to ride out of the wheel/idler groove and throw the track.

On a smooth floor indoors, no real grip in turning = no track tension issues.

In lieu of a track tensioner, would removing a link or two from each track work instead?

(Aiming for simplicity here.)
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 2:44 pm

Maybe? Usually a track length is a lot of change to overall length.

If a Heng Long, you may think about taking off the road wheel arms and drilling a new spring index hole to give a stiffer suspension. 

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Hl_spr10

Make sure you drill the correct direction Smile
Back to top Go down
Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 4:15 pm

So, it's a good news/bad news situation.  The good news is that track tension adjustment is built right into the tank, so I was able to make adjustments with a screwdriver and test it out.

The bad news is that this is not the only problem causing it to throw a track.  It turns out that one of the suspension arms has too much play, is pulling out of its groove on turns, and taking the rest of the track with it.  I tried to tighten it, but either it requires an allen key I don't seem to have between 7/64 and 3/32, or I'm doing something wrong (and, there's nothing left in the budget to get new tools).  Either way, I think I'm beyond what I can do on my own here.  So, I think I need help.

I've got a set of metal suspension arms pending in my Mato Mart rewards cart, so hopefully that has arrived by the time Aquino rolls around and the arms as a whole can be upgraded.  But, this is getting very frustrating.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 4:56 pm

Robert B. Marks wrote:
So, it's a good news/bad news situation.  The good news is that track tension adjustment is built right into the tank, so I was able to make adjustments with a screwdriver and test it out.

The bad news is that this is not the only problem causing it to throw a track.  It turns out that one of the suspension arms has too much play, is pulling out of its groove on turns, and taking the rest of the track with it.  I tried to tighten it, but either it requires an allen key I don't seem to have between 7/64 and 3/32, or I'm doing something wrong (and, there's nothing left in the budget to get new tools).  Either way, I think I'm beyond what I can do on my own here.  So, I think I need help.

I've got a set of metal suspension arms pending in my Mato Mart rewards cart, so hopefully that has arrived by the time Aquino rolls around and the arms as a whole can be upgraded.  But, this is getting very frustrating.
Bring the tank with you to Aquino. I'll have a full 1/16 repair motor pool setup there (As per usual with full tools) for fixing everyone's tanks Smile

It is also likely a 3mm hex bit that you need.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1