Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.


The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.
 
Log inHomeRegisterGallery
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» new 1/12th scale jeep
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby dougjobe Yesterday at 4:00 pm

» Canadian Armed Forces Day
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby Captain Action Yesterday at 3:19 pm

» 1/12 USSR D-20 Howitzer
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby MikeC Wed May 18, 2022 11:41 pm

» Aquino Dinner Planning
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby AngryMonkey Tue May 17, 2022 9:55 pm

» AQUINO 2022 THREAD CUTOFF DATE!
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Tue May 17, 2022 4:57 pm

» Brass Gears, Black motors, SLU's
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Tue May 17, 2022 4:40 pm

» WORK DAY KW GARRISON MAY 21st!
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Mon May 16, 2022 2:35 pm

» Hooben BTR-4
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Mon May 16, 2022 2:35 pm

» SCHEDULED WORK DAY MAY 14th! New roads!!!
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Sun May 15, 2022 6:09 pm

Top posting users this month
dgsselkirk
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_lcapTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_voting_barTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_rcap 
Jarlath
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_lcapTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_voting_barTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_rcap 
dougjobe
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_lcapTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_voting_barTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_rcap 
Robert B. Marks
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_lcapTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_voting_barTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_rcap 
treemagnet
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_lcapTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_voting_barTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_rcap 
Ukiewolf
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_lcapTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_voting_barTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_rcap 
Captain Action
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_lcapTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_voting_barTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_lcapTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_voting_barTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_rcap 
Hammertime999999999
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_lcapTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_voting_barTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_rcap 
MikeC
Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_lcapTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_voting_barTeam Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass I_vote_rcap 

Share
 

 Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Robert B. Marks
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal


Posts : 73
Join date : 2021-01-01
Age : 45
Location : Kingston area

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Empty
PostSubject: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2022 5:59 pm

So, the title almost says it all.  I was running tests today on my HL Stug III to see how it performs in grass prior to Aquino this year, and the tank seems to throw a track on just about every second sharper turn.  This is the case with both sides, and in both longer and shorter grass.

The specs on the tank are: upgraded metal gearbox, plastic wheels and suspension, plastic tracks.

Does anybody have experience with this sort of problem?  It would be a shame if Team Hippo had to become strictly an indoor tank.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
General
General
Jarlath

Posts : 2077
Join date : 2016-06-01
Age : 49
Location : Kitchener, ON

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 7:32 am

Robert B. Marks wrote:
So, the title almost says it all.  I was running tests today on my HL Stug III to see how it performs in grass prior to Aquino this year, and the tank seems to throw a track on just about every second sharper turn.  This is the case with both sides, and in both longer and shorter grass.

The specs on the tank are: upgraded metal gearbox, plastic wheels and suspension, plastic tracks.

Does anybody have experience with this sort of problem?  It would be a shame if Team Hippo had to become strictly an indoor tank.
Normally this is caused by one of two issues that deal with excessive track length.
1. Stretched track (Usually only occurs with plastic tracks)
2. Idlers/mounts are bending/loose from track tension (Plastic hull)

I assume that it is a HL tank with all plastic running gear? If a metal lower Taigen (Torsion Bar suspension) you could adjust the track tension.

You may have to grab some adjustable track tensioning idlers and install them.
https://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=748
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Robert B. Marks
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal


Posts : 73
Join date : 2021-01-01
Age : 45
Location : Kingston area

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 8:08 am

Jarlath wrote:
Robert B. Marks wrote:
So, the title almost says it all.  I was running tests today on my HL Stug III to see how it performs in grass prior to Aquino this year, and the tank seems to throw a track on just about every second sharper turn.  This is the case with both sides, and in both longer and shorter grass.

The specs on the tank are: upgraded metal gearbox, plastic wheels and suspension, plastic tracks.

Does anybody have experience with this sort of problem?  It would be a shame if Team Hippo had to become strictly an indoor tank.
Normally this is caused by one of two issues that deal with excessive track length.
1. Stretched track (Usually only occurs with plastic tracks)
2. Idlers/mounts are bending/loose from track tension (Plastic hull)

I assume that it is a HL tank with all plastic running gear? If a metal lower Taigen (Torsion Bar suspension) you could adjust the track tension.

You may have to grab some adjustable track tensioning idlers and install them.
https://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=748

This only happens in grass, though - indoors the tank is fine.  Does this still suggest that the solution is track tensioning idlers (as opposed to upgrading the suspension arms to metal)?
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
General
General
Jarlath

Posts : 2077
Join date : 2016-06-01
Age : 49
Location : Kitchener, ON

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 10:02 am

Yes. As you turn and the track grips the grass, the slack in the track allows grass to try and bunch up at the pivot pins/outer track projections and causes the track horn to ride out of the wheel/idler groove and throw the track.

On a smooth floor indoors, no real grip in turning = no track tension issues.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Robert B. Marks
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal


Posts : 73
Join date : 2021-01-01
Age : 45
Location : Kingston area

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 10:06 am

Jarlath wrote:
Yes. As you turn and the track grips the grass, the slack in the track allows grass to try and bunch up at the pivot pins/outer track projections and causes the track horn to ride out of the wheel/idler groove and throw the track.

On a smooth floor indoors, no real grip in turning = no track tension issues.

In lieu of a track tensioner, would removing a link or two from each track work instead?

(Aiming for simplicity here.)
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
General
General
Jarlath

Posts : 2077
Join date : 2016-06-01
Age : 49
Location : Kitchener, ON

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 2:44 pm

Maybe? Usually a track length is a lot of change to overall length.

If a Heng Long, you may think about taking off the road wheel arms and drilling a new spring index hole to give a stiffer suspension. 

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Hl_spr10

Make sure you drill the correct direction Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Robert B. Marks
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal


Posts : 73
Join date : 2021-01-01
Age : 45
Location : Kingston area

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 4:15 pm

So, it's a good news/bad news situation.  The good news is that track tension adjustment is built right into the tank, so I was able to make adjustments with a screwdriver and test it out.

The bad news is that this is not the only problem causing it to throw a track.  It turns out that one of the suspension arms has too much play, is pulling out of its groove on turns, and taking the rest of the track with it.  I tried to tighten it, but either it requires an allen key I don't seem to have between 7/64 and 3/32, or I'm doing something wrong (and, there's nothing left in the budget to get new tools).  Either way, I think I'm beyond what I can do on my own here.  So, I think I need help.

I've got a set of metal suspension arms pending in my Mato Mart rewards cart, so hopefully that has arrived by the time Aquino rolls around and the arms as a whole can be upgraded.  But, this is getting very frustrating.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
General
General
Jarlath

Posts : 2077
Join date : 2016-06-01
Age : 49
Location : Kitchener, ON

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 4:56 pm

Robert B. Marks wrote:
So, it's a good news/bad news situation.  The good news is that track tension adjustment is built right into the tank, so I was able to make adjustments with a screwdriver and test it out.

The bad news is that this is not the only problem causing it to throw a track.  It turns out that one of the suspension arms has too much play, is pulling out of its groove on turns, and taking the rest of the track with it.  I tried to tighten it, but either it requires an allen key I don't seem to have between 7/64 and 3/32, or I'm doing something wrong (and, there's nothing left in the budget to get new tools).  Either way, I think I'm beyond what I can do on my own here.  So, I think I need help.

I've got a set of metal suspension arms pending in my Mato Mart rewards cart, so hopefully that has arrived by the time Aquino rolls around and the arms as a whole can be upgraded.  But, this is getting very frustrating.
Bring the tank with you to Aquino. I'll have a full 1/16 repair motor pool setup there (As per usual with full tools) for fixing everyone's tanks Smile

It is also likely a 3mm hex bit that you need.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Sponsored content




Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass   Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 

Team Hippo (HL Stug III) keeps throwing tracks in grass

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» Promise to daughter fully kept after all - Team Hippo has arrived
» Help! HL king tiger tracks needed, tamiya tracks for return
» Cutting The Grass At The Field, Wk Of May 6th
» Thanks To Our Tank Field Grass Cutters
» Grass Cutting & Field Preparation

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Can-Am RC Tank Club :: Assembly Area :: Tips & Technical Support-