PANZERKAMPFWAGEN IV, AUSF.G, HYDRAULIC, WW II, (FMCV 193)
This is a standard Panzer IV with 75mm/L43 gun but with longer side frames to accommodate an experimental hydraulic transmission.
The Thoma transmission (with oil not-liquid) and a new crown of drive were installed. The power plant was composed of twin oil pumps actuated by Maybach HL 120 TRM.
These changes required a modification of the entire rear part. About mid the 1944, this prototype was equipped with a hydraulically-operated turret.
The prototype was put at the test but was hardly conclusive. This prototype was officially baptized Pz.Kpfw IV mit hydrostatischen antrieb.
This tank, believed to be the only one of its kind, was never used in combat. It was discovered empaced as a pill box near the factory.
It was recovered, shipped to Aberdeen for evaluation and ultimately donated to the museum.
HL Panzer III | HL Tiger | HL Jagdpanther | HL Panther | Mato Sherman
Hooben Elefant | HL Pershing | HL Bergepanzer IV | Tamiya Leopard 1A | WSN T-34
HL "Golden" Pan-Tiger | M16 Halftrack | HL Panzer IV | Tamiya KV-1 | Tamiya Tiger