Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» April 20th Field work morning and afternoon play!
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 12:26 pm

» Cause Of Flooding over The Field
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 7:26 am

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 6:11 am

» COST TO UPGRADE A TANK TO BATTLEFIELD STANDARDS
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 6:31 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 pm

» Tongde Pro Churchills for sale
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeby MikeC Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:01 pm

» Work an Play Day April 6th!
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:39 am

» Dragon 1/6 M4 Sherman 76mm
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeby MikeC Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:09 am

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. I_vote_lcapPz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. I_voting_barPz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. I_vote_lcapPz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. I_voting_barPz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
Jarlath
MikeC
Chimo
treemagnet
AngryMonkey
Hilario

Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pzkpfw_steve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
pzkpfw_steve

Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Empty
PostSubject: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 9:52 pm

so after getting my Pershing squared away, I started converting my Pz III/IV form a HL Pz III.

I started by popping off the front plates and removing the side boxes.  i also removed or shaved off the the tools. most of the tools were unfortunately unrecoverable so if anyone has any German tools, let me know.

I leveled out the more drastic of the slopes on the rear engine deck using a razor saw, and then proceeded to add  the slopped armoured plates to the front and sides.  on the front sloped plate i fitted the styrene around the existing front plate as to not have to re-sculpt the MG bubble or Drivers view port.

Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. DSCF0653_zpse6b34cf8

once that was done, i used the overhang thing on the back to build the top of the rear face.  I left the exhaust in place for now, although i may rebuild it later.  I'm going to remove the smoker to reduce the weight a bit(they make a horrible whine, so i plan on disconnecting them in my other tanks anyway)  and when I do that i may add the exhaust pipes facing upward.

Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. DSCF0655_zpsbeb16f06

then i made all the front-end modifications.  the front section is a little squished, but any further modifications would have required an almost complete rebuild of the upper hull.   if i get a decent paying co-op in January I may digitally sculpt the upper hull and get it printed off.

Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. DSCF0654_zpsea5528c2

I still have some putty work and sanding to do, but there isn't a lot more to do at this stage. Curtis is currently awaiting the arrival of my 75L48 barrel, so that is the last major part needed to complete this.  While I'm waiting i think i'll get  the electronics sorted out.

My Blog

Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Signature
Back to top Go down
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 10:03 pm

fyi the barrels will be here in time for me to ship them before next weekend, wait till u see them swwwweeeeeeeeeeeetttttt is all I can say

Great work on the tank too
Back to top Go down
Airbrushler
Retired
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 pm

Hmmmmmmmm Sloped armour very interesting i will check for some tools ....nice job on the tank

pzkpfw_steve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
pzkpfw_steve

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 6:25 pm

more progress on the PZ II/IV.

got the hull don and painted.  I used a combination of Vallejo Model Air and AK paints. the colours and highlighting was done with an airbrush, everything else by brush.

I used the panzer grey weathering set on this one.  i was a bit worried that the blue filter and blue-brown wash would look weird on the brown, but it turned out quite good..

here is the painting at a few steps:

grey base and highlights
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. DSCF0664_zps9ec4f5d2

Camo
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. DSCF0666_zps6d25af7b

Markings and filter
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. DSCF0667_zpsb3075d6e

final with wash and streaking grime & slime
Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. DSCF0672_zps5a9ea637

tracks should be arriving this week(got the metal winter tracks).  with a little luck this should be battle ready for this Saturday.

Cheers,

Steve

My Blog

Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Will you repaint ALL of my tanks for me? Wink

I'm not sure but this might be the first Panzer III/IV conversion out there, at least in 1/16 RC. 

I'd suggest the track adjuster kit for this little guy, otherwise it seems perfectly good to go.

Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 7:16 pm

very nice, surprising how much the paint changes when the filters etc are applied.
Back to top Go down
tomzag
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 9:12 pm

whoa!!!!
Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Strato50 wrote:

I'd suggest the track adjuster kit for this little guy, otherwise it seems perfectly good to go.
I'm not sure you really need the adjuster for the P3, It a good runner out of the box.

I've never had a problem with mine and I've ran it with three different types of tracks. I currently run with the metal winter tracks with no issues, and all I did was remove one link from them.

Oh ya, nice looking tank. thumbs up 

Back to top Go down
https://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum.com
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 12:39 am

Since I just think it's fun to have, cheap and easy to install and use. On this and the panzer iv, the idler mount is the biggest weak point :p

pzkpfw_steve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
pzkpfw_steve

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 12:48 pm

so the track tensioners now are installed.  i used the old plastic tIdlerr arms with the tensioner itself, which solved the problem if the screw being the wrong size for the metal idler arms, although it did require some "remodeling" of the sock arm to fit.

I also set up the red LED Hit indicators.  these are located in the front-most 4  slots of the commanders copula. there are 5 slots, and one is directly to the rear, so it's the only one without an LED.  I tested them and they are quite visible, even in my well-Flourescent-lit basement.

the PZ IV will get the same treatment this weekend, as well as the late tiger for my friend Jon.  the early tigers are going to be more problematic, since the vision ports in the copula are very small. i may have to widen them a bit.

My Blog

Back to top Go down
Stinger
Captain
Captain
Stinger

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 2:50 pm

I found that having the LED's in the vision ports of any tank makes it very hard to see regardless of the brightness of the LED's.  

I am in favor of using the Tamiya receiver regardless of what system your running as these are the most visible and you don't need to go looking for a light.

"hey bud, gotta light ? "

Stinger

Can-Am Tank Club <<< Web site link

Tiger I | King Tiger | Panther G | PzIII | PzIV | Stug IV | SturmTiger | Pershing/Howitzer | M16 Halftrack | M26 Super Pershing | M48 Patton | M41 Bulldog | Gepard | Leopard | KV-1 | KV-2 |T-34 |
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member2.html
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 3:00 pm

And if you don't feel like forking out that much dough for Tamiya, you can use hammerheads which are around $25.00 from Michael!Very Happy

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 4:14 pm

pzkpfw_steve wrote:
I also set up the red LED Hit indicators.  these are located in the front-most 4  slots of the commanders copula. there are 5 slots, and one is directly to the rear, so it's the only one without an LED.  I tested them and they are quite visible, even in my well-Flourescent-lit basement.

the PZ IV will get the same treatment this weekend, as well as the late tiger for my friend Jon.  the early tigers are going to be more problematic, since the vision ports in the copula are very small. i may have to widen them a bit.
Steve, I would test this outside on a sunny day, before you going making holes.  

Natural light is not the same as artificial lights. At work we have very bright LED lights, the industrial kind, and the signs we do still look different when outside.

Back to top Go down
https://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum.com
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 9:20 am

dgsselkirk wrote:
And if you don't feel like forking out that much dough for Tamiya, you can use hammerheads which are around $25.00 from Michael!Very Happy
That's not a bad idea but I think Steve is trying to stick with the HL sensor option, he might just have a conniption fit at the notion of re-wiring 6 tanks (since he's chief maintenance officer for the time being hehehe)

I think Stince has the right idea. If the LED's are nice and bright red or orange mounting them in the cupula should work provided they're completely exposed, so basically nearly sticking out and fully visible. Sunlight is our worst nightmare here Razz

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.   Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pz III to WoT PZ III/IV conversion.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1