Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 1/6 Dragon Jeep Kit
taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeby MikeC Today at 12:16 am

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Yesterday at 11:27 am

» Matomart Sale again
taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sun May 05, 2024 10:59 pm

» TongDe New Tank
taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Sun May 05, 2024 5:48 pm

» How many Ontario Regiment shermans will be at Aquino this year?
taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeby Robert B. Marks Sun May 05, 2024 1:08 pm

» Martin's PZ III combat god?
taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Sun May 05, 2024 9:39 am

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Sun May 05, 2024 1:52 am

» Dean's Beast - 1/6 MkI King Tiger
taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:20 pm

» Panther 1 to 1
taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 pm

Top posting users this month
Abteilung 506
taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours I_vote_lcaptaigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours I_voting_bartaigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours I_vote_rcap 
Hammertime999999999
taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours I_vote_lcaptaigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours I_voting_bartaigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Smittyburger
Jarlath
Robert B. Marks
Negaduck
Maczek

Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Empty
PostSubject: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 8:06 pm

This is just a preview since this is a Christmas Present.

I am checking it out, then it will be wrapped up for Dec. 25th

Good thing I am checking it out, there are a few problems but the overall features are good.

I have a set of Waltersons Gearboxes for it and it will be getting an SLU IR conversion.

The BAD

1.) Idler Mount (metal) on the Track Tensioning System is broken;

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Idler_10

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Idler_11

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Idler_12

Broken part looks like this both sides shown, I need the right one;

http://www.asiatam.com/ersatz-teile-kettenspanner-fuer-tiger-p-833.html

The AFF Shop says they will get me a replacement part. IMHO, these cast metal parts should be OK for plastic, I don't know how they will do with heavier metal tracks.

2.) Broken Speaker Mount (easy fix)

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Speake10

3.) Lower Hull Cracked (easy fix)

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Lower_10

The GOOD STUFF;

Steel Wheels (at least plastic replicas of them)

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Steel_10

Coupala, Late Style

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Coupal10

Turret Mounted Spare Track Links

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Spare_10

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Spare_11

Headlight, Single, Late Style

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Headli10

General Detail of the front Zimmerit

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Front_10

Lift Lugs

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Lift_l10

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Lift_l11

It also has the switch under the operable radio operators hatch and the quick releas uppr hull, metal "belly pan" with torsion bars.

Here is the objective, when completed;

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Abt_5014

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Still no replacement Idler Arm.

Karen at the AFF Shop has been trying to get me one.

She has enlisted the help of the new U.S. Taigen dealer but I have not heard anything definative.

So, I thought I would try to look after it myself, using my drill press, a home made jig, drill bits, a brass pin and JB Weld.

The JB Weld is setting up now, we will see how this goes tomorrow when the JB Weld has cured..

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Broken11

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours 3_idle11

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours 9_piec10

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours 10_che10

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours 11_in_10

Retired
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:18 pm

that sucks too bad the museum had to go through this again and the you got a bad egg Glen looks like you are doing a great job fixing it
Back to top Go down
http://mdart8.wix.com/a-custom-rc-tanks  http://www.rcuniverse.c
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:32 pm

There really hasn't been any additional cost, just the aggravation.

I am sure this one was subjected to a "jolt" between China and here, somewhere.

I have fixed the hull, the jack, the speaker and hopefully, the Idler Arm.

Hopefully this thing fits up tomorrow when I can check it out after the JB Weld is cured.

I could see this repair being stronger than the original. The original pin was just a cast piece, part of the complete Idler Arm, where the pin meets the main part. it is basically "break along the dotted line".

Using the strength quoted for JB Weld and calculating the surface area of the glued area, theoretically, it would take 400 to 500 pounds to pull it out, but we're not going to test that. Wink

The brass pin is stronger and the JB Weld will hold them together and reinforce the casting.

I think the original Idler Arm design will be prone to breakage, especially if metal tracks are used.

If Taigen is going to sell in the U.S. and Canada, they MUST have replacement parts available; we are newly into them being sold in North America so I hope the parts will become more plentiful in the near future.

I was not prepared to wait, I would like to start my build as soon as the SLU's arrive, I had nothing to lose by trying a repair.

General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 10:54 pm

That looks rock solid!

Im still waiting on news of the HennTech idler arms... the asiatam-style will fit both of our tanks, glen. It's basically the same idler arm, in steel, but with the attachment piece being 3cm long instead of 3/8 "

Yours will never break now though!

Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 10:29 am

Strato50 wrote:

Im still waiting on news of the HennTech idler arms... the asiatam-style will fit both of our tanks, glen. It's basically the same idler arm, in steel, but with the attachment piece being 3cm long instead of 3/8 "

Sounds interesting Very Happy

Here are some pictures from this morning;

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1018

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1019

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 8:25 am

Looking forward to working on this one, soon Very Happy

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1010

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 8:36 pm

I had an unexpected turn of events yesterday.

Tony, from Big Boy Toys Airsoft (Taigen's new U.S. importer, had offered to send me a spare Idler Arm.

Well, yesterday I received it, with a whole, new lower hull assembly Shocked Shocked Very Happy

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1011

Way over what I expected, a VERY nice move on his part.

Details of the suspension system on the spare lower hull;

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1012

Metal arms and other components;

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1013

Retired
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 10:49 pm

so is the top hull on this metal or plastic glen?
Back to top Go down
http://mdart8.wix.com/a-custom-rc-tanks  http://www.rcuniverse.c
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 12:00 am

Glen put that tank away, your not suppose play with it until Christmas. santa

I'm telling your wife! No

Back to top Go down
https://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum.com
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 6:13 am

Airbrushler wrote:
so is the top hull on this metal or plastic glen?

The upper hull and turret are both plastic.

Stince wrote:
Glen put that tank away, your not suppose play with it until Christmas. santa

I'm telling your wife! No

Good thing I checked it out, based on the timeline from when it got here in November, I would have spent most of January getting the damage fixed Shocked

General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 12:55 pm

Okay, but now wrap it up and put back under the tree.

Remeber, Santa's watching! Suspect

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Santa-naughty-list1-1

Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Hey Glen, you could do your Tiger up like this, to make Santa happy! rendeer santa rendeer

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours PanzerClaus-04

Back to top Go down
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Nothing say's Christmas like a Panzer! Wink Laughing

.................and, OK. its official, now;

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Christ10

of the Pan-Tiger Panzer Div.
Captain Action

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Nice tank but.....

I think if you used a Pan-Tiger for your project, it would make a better investment for the future.

Now dont glue your fingers together this time.

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Captain Action wrote:
Nice tank but.....

I think if you used a Pan-Tiger for your project, it would make a better investment for the future.

No doubt at all, I am sure they would concur on RCU. Laughing

I have completed the mounting modifications and they and the gearboxes fit PERFECTLY, now.

Since they were made to fit an HL, not a Taigen, I expected some re-working.

The short story is that the plate has to be split and be made .185" wider, and some mounting slots have to be made or modified to fit the Taigen's plate.

I have used 3mm hex-head cap screws, cut to fit, with lock washers, instead of the Pillips head screws.

The Taigen plate needs some holes drilled to make clearance for the Waltersons screw pattern. Two of these must have short shanks to not interfere with the frame rails; these are the red one's, white are the other gearbox screws, natural finish screws secure the mounting plate parts.

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1110

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:26 am

Wheels are done, upper and lower hull have their base coat, track base coat completed.

Breaking in the 400 Motors today.

Should have an SLU, soon Very Happy

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1111

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Spare tracks on the turret, painting done.

Before

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1014

After

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1113

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Here's how they had the paint applied.

Taigen spare traps are very securely glued in place to the point where you could do a lot of damage getting them off.

So, I sprayed the whole thing "yellow"

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1114

Masked it

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1115

Paint, carefully with a light touch on the airbrush

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1117

Un-mask and it looks like my previous post.

Lot to do yet, brown camo stripes, weathering the track, etc.

General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 am

Looks fantastic Glen!

Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Strato50 wrote:
Looks fantastic Glen!

Thanks, there are more finishing touches to do on them.

I thought the subject may be of interest to any other purchasers of Taigen Tigers.

Those cosmetic spare tracks are really "nailed" on there; not a deal breaker, just have to know there is an option to painting w/o removing them, I would (and plan to) buy another Taigen Tiger Very Happy

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Gunter checks out the trial run of the SLU etc. placement

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Gunter10

Top view

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Gunter11

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 9:53 pm

ALL SLU units are hooked up, functioning and proved out Very Happy

Now I need to clean up the installation and secure the wiring, etc.., then we get into the finishing touches.

General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 10:44 pm

When is the field test?

Back to top Go down
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 8:53 am

Stince wrote:
When is the field test?

Its a little ways away, yet Wink

taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Img_1118

Picture as of 08:30, today.

PostSubject: Re: Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours   taigen - Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tiger I, Late (Taigen from the AFF Museum Shop), to be done in Abt 506 Colours

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next