Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 1/6 Dragon Jeep Kit
Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 2:08 pm

» Canadian Grenadier Guards Sherman Firefly Mk 1c - Operation Totalize, Normandy 1944 - Work in progress photos
Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeby HiawathaPete Today at 1:51 pm

» Aquino - July 26-28 2024
Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Today at 10:27 am

» How many Ontario Regiment shermans will be at Aquino this year?
Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Yesterday at 3:29 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Tue May 07, 2024 11:27 am

» Matomart Sale again
Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sun May 05, 2024 10:59 pm

» TongDe New Tank
Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Sun May 05, 2024 5:48 pm

» Martin's PZ III combat god?
Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Sun May 05, 2024 9:39 am

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Sun May 05, 2024 1:52 am

Top posting users this month
Abteilung 506
Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. I_vote_lcapBearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. I_voting_barBearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. I_vote_rcap 
Hammertime999999999
Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. I_vote_lcapBearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. I_voting_barBearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Smittyburger
Jarlath
Negaduck
Maczek
HiawathaPete
Robert B. Marks

Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
krijn
Private
krijn

Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Empty
PostSubject: Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings.   Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2023 7:56 pm

Greetings all

in a bout of enthusiasm i purchased a new tank, with  a what looks like 7.1 board but not sure.

then i took the entire tank apart and found not a single ball bearing anywhere, so what does one do you measure the bearings and order a few... dozen.

so what have i learned so far ?

my new tank has 6 road wheels per side, so that's 12 x 2 7x4x2mm  (total 24)
my new tank has 6 idler arms per side, and they use 12 x 2 11x8x2mm  (total 24)
then there is the track tensioner that takes 2 and as there are 2 that's 4 more 7x4x2 (Cool

now does that even sound logical, 52 bearings in the drive/suspension system ? 
is it just me or does that sound like a lot of bearings ?
and that's not including the gearboxes, but i have "metal" (zinc) gears and steel pins so they better last till i can afford new gearboxes or dropkick the tank into the bin.

anyone else ever done this ?

Krijn

https://www.facebook.com/groups/975850753212371
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings.   Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2023 5:44 pm

Krijn,

Idler arms meaning return roller (???) which most tanks don't usually have bearings for.

Some tanks get away with only a single bearing on each road wheel (rather than one on each side of the roadwheel).

You forgot that you will need two each side for the drive sprocket which is probably the most important ones you can add as it keeps the drive shaft from moving off axle.

Your track tensioner = idler wheel ? Same as road wheel, can get away with one on each idler.

MikeC.
Back to top Go down
krijn
Private
krijn

PostSubject: Re: Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings.   Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2023 8:56 pm

well i was lucky that John had some extra bearings

the Cromwell now has 2 bearings per wheel, 2 in the track tension-er (that is metal) but none on the suspension, it has steel bushings in both gearboxes.
so that was 24 8x5's over 5 road wheels and the track tension-er  in total (6 x 2 x 2)

the other tank... yipes i ordered the wrong size bearings.. but the 2nd tank needs 24 X 7x11x3 for the suspension, and 24 x 4x7x2 for the road wheels (all the "bearings" are plastic) and John didn't have them so we placed an order for 50, just in case (that's 2 x 50 in total) 

all in all a nice adventure and hopefully one that will teach me to take good care of my tanks as replacing all them bearings because of rust/seizure/dirt is NOT my favorite past-time.

And when all my projects are done my King Tiger, Stug 3 , Sherman,and M7 also need bearings.
well at least i won't be bored any time soon.

Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings.   Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2023 10:12 am

I replace plastic roadwheels and suspension arms when they wear out and go to metal/bearing style.
I do however replace idler/track adjusters as soon as I can for most plastic hull tanks nowadays.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
krijn
Private
krijn

PostSubject: Re: Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings.   Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2023 6:49 pm

Greetings
yes i can understand that, as soon as i have some extra cash (win the lottery) i will replace all the plastic track adjusters and suspension arms with metal or stronger ones while i will be getting an all metal tank one day it better have all the blo.dy bearings in it Wink.

makes 3d printing and then building a tank like say the Churchill super expensive.. 22 road wheels per side with 2 bearings  each ..

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings.   Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bearings, and more Bearings, and yet more Bearings.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Can-Am RC Tank Club :: Assembly Area :: Tips & Technical Support-