Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Battleday Sept. 28th!
KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 9:00 am

» Tamiya paint ban
KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeby Shoveler74 Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:35 pm

» Another PZIII
KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:19 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:04 am

» Another day at Tank Field in Mississauga
KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeby hachleopard2 Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:08 pm

» JS7 - World of Tank favorites........
KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:17 am

» For Sale: 1/16 Scale RC M4A3 Sherman Firefly
KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeby HiawathaPete Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:42 pm

» 1/16 Tank crews
KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeby MikeC Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:05 pm

» Cults has a M3 Grant now
KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeby MikeC Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:08 am

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
KV-1 Rebuild... I_vote_lcapKV-1 Rebuild... I_voting_barKV-1 Rebuild... I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
KV-1 Rebuild... I_vote_lcapKV-1 Rebuild... I_voting_barKV-1 Rebuild... I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Jarlath
Chimo
treemagnet
Shoveler74
Maczek
ZackM

KV-1 Rebuild...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

KV-1 Rebuild... Empty
PostSubject: KV-1 Rebuild...   KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2024 4:23 pm

So one of my first tanks was MikeC's old Taigen KV-1. Dual turret motors, all metal lower, with original pot metal gearboxes...
It was my primary battler for several years.
Numerous upgrades internally as I continued to trial and error systems.
  • TK-22 > TK-40 > TK-60
  • Speaker box
  • JCC Recoil unit
  • Funky TBU Mount (Since then has been super refined)
  • Aluminum component mounting plate
  • Steel gearbox

But after so many years, the 10kg (22lb) KV-1 was riding it's bump stops in suspension. So it was time for a rebuild... And I decided that Father's day was a great day for rebuilding this fine piece of machinery...

KV-1 Rebuild... Kv-1_d10
Taigen KV-1 stripped down to the aluminum hull. Side hull plastic has been removed. The suspension arm outer frame pivots proved to have 4 of twelve loose and rattling... Replaced all hardware with hex socket M2 screws with blue loctite.

KV-1 Rebuild... Kv1-su10
One of the suspension arms was broken. Go figure. It had seen ALOT of usage... Thankfully I had a few spares. Ended up replacing 2 suspension arms.

KV-1 Rebuild... Kv_bro10
The true problem... As I was replacing the old torsion wires with new "stronger" versions, this happened... Ah FFS!
The spring clip popped off and I heard it hit something, someplace in my workroom... It's gone...
I have 2 of these internal torsion mounts broken.... Sigh.. Anyone have a junked Taigen they strip parts off of?

So my KV will be out of action for a bit longer...
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

KV-1 Rebuild... Empty
PostSubject: Re: KV-1 Rebuild...   KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2024 10:40 pm

Wow I have never seen that.... Usually it is the suspension arms which you can easily get replacement. I guess the new torsion bar is rated higher ?

The only place I can see you finding anything would be rctank.de. Dom might be able to help you out. Now, the Taigen bottom is actually not that much so it might be buying a new lower as a last resort.

These are great chassis. Love them to death.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

KV-1 Rebuild... Empty
PostSubject: Re: KV-1 Rebuild...   KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2024 7:44 am

Yeah. I'm going Taigen metal for pretty much anything that uses a torsion bar from now on.
I did find out last night that the Taigen Tiger metal lower uses the same torsion bar setup (and internal parts like wire, sleeves, and torsion pins..) Yay!

I actually asked Stanlley (of RC Tank Legion) first on FB if he had any and he recommended looking at RCTank.de as well.

RCTank.de wanted 30+ Euros in shipping for 4 Euros of parts... (I needed 2 replacements)

Stanlley also mentioned Forgebear, and as a result, I ordered a full set of replacements for a Tiger I from Forgebear, 15 Euro for 14 replacement torsion bar mounts (KV needs 12 total), 7 Euro shipping.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

KV-1 Rebuild... Empty
PostSubject: Re: KV-1 Rebuild...   KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2024 9:36 am

Yes ForgeBear is a good one too. 

For Dom at rctank.de, he will take the VAT off if it is more than 50 euro. So usually if it is over 50 euro your shipping is covered by the offsetting VAT which is 19%. So at the end the list price on the website is an all in price if it is over 50 euro.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

KV-1 Rebuild... Empty
PostSubject: Re: KV-1 Rebuild...   KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2024 10:21 am

Technically, Dom and every other EU supplier can take the VAT out for any export out of the EU.

VAT Zero Rate

But only if they are a registered VAT business. 
Dom's threshold for him to to that is a minimum of 50 Euro, I've talked to him before that as well. (And ordered 51 euro of stuff...)
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

KV-1 Rebuild... Empty
PostSubject: Re: KV-1 Rebuild...   KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2024 12:21 pm

Yes it is the paperwork. It is his threshold. He used to do it for everything but too much paperwork.

Axel and Ludwig doesn't even bother........... I appreciate Dom for doing this at least.
Back to top Go down
Abteilung 506
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Abteilung 506

KV-1 Rebuild... Empty
PostSubject: Re: KV-1 Rebuild...   KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2024 1:07 pm

Axel's if you are signed up and log into your account (it recognizes you are international) it then displays all prices with VAT taken off so no need to contact him unless you are buying a full tank which you then have to email to get the correct shipping rate. Main problem with Axel's is Felix uses an up to 3kg DHL rate so minimum 40 euros that through no fault of his normally ends up on a ship. Dom uses a different rate so the small stuff tends to be around 10 euros shipping
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

KV-1 Rebuild... Empty
PostSubject: Re: KV-1 Rebuild...   KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2024 3:30 pm

I see. I got my German dealers confused. I think it was Asiatam that won't give you VAT regardless. BTW, why is there so many German dealers and none here ? I guess they like their tanks more than we do. Sad. Axel, Ludwig, Dom, Asiatam, AFV................
Back to top Go down
Abteilung 506
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Abteilung 506

KV-1 Rebuild... Empty
PostSubject: Re: KV-1 Rebuild...   KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2024 4:01 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

KV-1 Rebuild... Empty
PostSubject: Re: KV-1 Rebuild...   KV-1 Rebuild... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KV-1 Rebuild...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1