Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Yesterday at 10:09 pm

» Martin's PZ III combat god?
Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeby Shoveler74 Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:04 pm

» Dean's Beast - 1/6 MkI King Tiger
Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:20 pm

» Panther 1 to 1
Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 pm

» 1/6 Dragon Jeep Kit
Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:51 pm

» THIS YEARS SHIRTS and HATS!!!
Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 am

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 pm

» New tank headed to DGS Military Hobby paint shop! :-)
Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:40 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Scale speed or not I_vote_lcapScale speed or not I_voting_barScale speed or not I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Scale speed or not I_vote_lcapScale speed or not I_voting_barScale speed or not I_vote_rcap 

Scale speed or not

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old_Tanker
Private

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 6:38 pm

I'm curious what the groups general consensus is on the speed of their tanks. I'm probably going to get raked over the coals for this question Sad
Do you run your tanks at 'scale' speed or not?
If not, I'm really curious why?  
Since you have a 'scale' tank, why would you not?
Back to top Go down
Airbrushler
Retired
Airbrushler

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 6:46 pm

For me I don't care because I dont battle as much as the other guys do ....BUT maybe I should cause last time I battled my T-34 was slower than molasses in the winter affraid

Old_Tanker
Private

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 7:00 pm

I get ya Airbrushler. If you just run your amour around, I get it. I should have clarified my question with, when you are battling Wink
Back to top Go down
Renesis
Corporal
Corporal
Renesis

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 8:36 pm

If I'm battling in Kitchener I bring my "scale" speed tanks seeing as how Dean tries to keep the battles held their realistic, If I'm battling in Mississauga I'm bringing my non scale speed tanks because the guys over in Mississauga aren't as serious about IR battles in my opinion and they all run mostly modern tanks.

Almost all my tanks are "scale" speed I have a few that are just stupid fast because its fun for me to bomb around in puddles, fields, light snow, and pavement. Don't get me wrong watching my Jagdtiger lumber around is satisfying, but my Abrams or Leopard going full send through a puddle of water is much more satisfying lol
Back to top Go down
Old_Tanker
Private

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 9:16 pm

Renesis wrote:
If I'm battling in Kitchener I bring my "scale" speed tanks seeing as how Dean tries to keep the battles held their realistic, If I'm battling in Mississauga I'm bringing my non scale speed tanks because the guys over in Mississauga aren't as serious about IR battles in my opinion and they all run mostly modern tanks.

Almost all my tanks are "scale" speed I have a few that are just stupid fast because its fun for me to bomb around in puddles, fields, light snow, and pavement. Don't get me wrong watching my Jagdtiger lumber around is satisfying, but my Abrams or Leopard going full send through a puddle of water is much more satisfying lol

What motors are in your Leopard, if you don't mind me asking.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 9:29 pm

Renesis wrote:
my Abrams or Leopard going full send through a puddle of water is much more satisfying lol

And watching your turret rotation speed being able to double as a "Whipper-Snipper" is kind of humorous too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 1:24 am

Yes, Ren, you can bring that one to trim the field when we get going.  In answer to your original question yes, we like scale speed. In fact we are soon going to release the info for Sanctioned battledays and games and what you need to have on your tank to officially compete. Watch for it this weekend as we look to start up this late spring post covid...

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Old_Tanker
Private

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 9:24 am

dgsselkirk wrote:
Yes, Ren, you can bring that one to trim the field when we get going.  In answer to your original question yes, we like scale speed. In fact we are soon going to release the info for Sanctioned battledays and games and what you need to have on your tank to officially compete. Watch for it this weekend as we look to start up this late spring post covid...
Great thanks for the info...
I was hoping 'scale' speed was the objective Smile I've seen so many videos (not locally) of tanks running around at unrealistic speeds. From an observers (or general public) view of the hobby, it made it look toyish Sad. They arent offroad race cars (although I'm sure, some think they are.....lol).

Thanks for all the replies, I do appreciate the input.

Cheers,
Russ
Back to top Go down
Shoveler74
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Shoveler74

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 5:34 pm

My Imp Panzer is scale speed. For a long time ago. In a galaxy far far away.....  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

of the Pan-Tiger Panzer Div.
Captain Action

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 2:51 pm

Well the new modern tanks are faster in real life.

I am more concerned about IR hitting tanks then there speed being too fast. We have a few tanks that are built to be faster then a King tiger has ever run but that's up to them . Don't worry about the speed just get it in the fight.
My tanks are slow...and only turn left...
But I have fun... and get dizzy....

Private

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 3:12 pm

Captain Action wrote:

I am more concerned about IR hitting tanks then there speed being too fast. We have a few tanks that are built to be faster then a King tiger has ever run but that's up to them . Don't worry about the speed just get it in the fight.

Ah, so you run red neck 'stock car' tanks...they only turn left...lol
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 4:29 pm

Old_Tanker wrote:
Captain Action wrote:

Ah, so you run red neck 'stock car' tanks...they only turn left...lol
With Frank, they all start with the ability to turn in both directions... Then shortly after starting, only turn left... "click, click, click!"
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 5:00 pm

Also don't forget if you are running Tamiya/IBU you will get scale speed real fast once you get hit couple of times. I don't think Clark guys use that option. Maybe that is something we need to consider. Right now Clark can run full speed even after 8 hits.
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 5:12 pm

Yes Mike, we will be addressing that later this year for sure!

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Airbrushler
Retired
Airbrushler

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 8:58 pm

LSU's would slow down after each hit I really liked them but they had issues might would shut down and restart in my first T'34 that i converted i don't have it now but the sound and everything else was Awesome  i think that's what you get with the Hoobem tanks now or did they switch to clarks

Stince
General
General
Stince

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 4:29 am

MikeC wrote:
Also don't forget if you are running Tamiya/IBU you will get scale speed real fast once you get hit couple of times. I don't think Clark guys use that option. Maybe that is something we need to consider. Right now Clark can run full speed even after 8 hits.

You’re right Mike, the default setting on Clark’s don’t use that option, and you have to reprogram the setting.

The standard rule is that the tank should be reduced to half its speed by the time it’s at 50% of it’s hits.

Back to top Go down
https://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum.com
Old_Tanker
Private

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 8:27 am

If you guys are coming up with a bunch of 'required' parameters, you might also want to also consider reload times as well. 9 seconds (default Clark) is too long on modern tanks. Some research shows the Leopard 'can' be as low as 3 seconds, but i'd like 5 seconds. Same thing with on board standard ammo amounts. (45 i think) is the norm on Leopard again.
I'm all good with 'realist' settings. Back in the day of 'nam airsoft, we used realistic loadouts and mag capacities. I know i'm new and all, so my opinion doesnt carry much weight, but, let do as realistic as possible. Wink

Last edited by Old_Tanker on Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Captain Action
Captain Action

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 10:30 am

Ok old tanker first, finish your tank and make sure it can take hits and give hits.
Second come to your First battle day and Play.
Then we can see if we need to bother members about their tanks performance on the field.
For the most part we are a bunch of friends who want to have fun on a great looking field. If the club wants to hold some games with certified and tested tank settings that's cool . But most of our games are get your dam tank on the field and have fun. It is hard enough to keep your tank running for the day.
I don't think any of us want to turn away a member from playing because his tank is too fast .
I will say I have one of if not the slowest tank on the field , my HL Purshing has cheap stock gears, wobbly road wheels from lots of use and after the second hit is a pill box , it doesn't move. I go up against Racing king Tigers all the time with my plastic geared Sherman that only takes five hits a slow turret rotation no gun elevation a hit sensor with four receivers ( not one like Tamiya ) and a IR emitter that only has a distance of 10 to 14 feet. I don't care I have fun. And a big mouth ...
Get you tank together and come out and have fun!!
If you are light hearted you will enjoy yourself.
I really don't see the Danville club in the Us having the fun that we have. Also you are going to want more then one tank ... believe me...

General
General
Stince

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 11:26 am

Yes, realistically the Leopard being a modern tank would have a higher hit count and faster reload time, but it is also unrealistic of it competing against Panzer 4s, Tigers and Shermans. So to keep a sense of fairness among all the different types of tanks that enter the field, we try to stick to the standard that is used at most RC clubs.

Heavy tanks - 9 hits, 9 second reload
Medium tanks - 6 hits, 6 second reload
Light tanks - 3 hits, 3 second reload

So the Leopard would be considered a heavy weight.

Back to top Go down
https://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum.com
Old_Tanker
Private

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 1:17 pm

Got it Stince Smile
Captain Action, didn't mean to offend in any way, sorry. I do get the differences in eras of tanks with speed etc.
I'll be quiet now Wink
Back to top Go down
Captain Action
Captain Action

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 3:39 pm

Hay sorry no offence taken or given I hope. We have been down this road many times I am just trying to say that you will have fun and don't sweat it. We have rules but we tend not to beat each other up. 
Its all good and you can ask questions and the guys are happy to help so please get ready for the new session that is just around the corner.

Glad to have new tankers onboard. Also hope to get some of the old tankers back in the trenches!!
Thanks

Captain Action

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 3:41 pm

Hay Medium Tanks 6 hits ??!! Sherman tanks get how many hits ??

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 4:31 pm

6. Sherman is a Medium tank Smile
Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 9:20 pm

How fast is a Grant again? 

It's really easy to dial in Clark boards for the correct speed reduction. I like that it's on a scale.. 50% 'tuned' reduction on a Panzer III will not handicap you as much as a larger, heavier tank. I think most of mine are set to reduce by 37.5% or w/e, because 50% would make it practically immobile. 

If I set my tanks right, I know they're half dead when they become 10x as frustrating to drive.

Sponsored content

Scale speed or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scale speed or not   Scale speed or not Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scale speed or not

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1