Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Today at 1:15 pm

» 1/6 Dragon Jeep Kit
Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeby MikeC Today at 12:51 pm

» THIS YEARS SHIRTS and HATS!!!
Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Today at 9:09 am

» Dean's Beast - 1/6 MkI King Tiger
Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 3:35 pm

» Panther 1 to 1
Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Yesterday at 12:15 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 pm

» New tank headed to DGS Military Hobby paint shop! :-)
Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:40 pm

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... I_vote_lcapMounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... I_voting_barMounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... I_vote_lcapMounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... I_voting_barMounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Chimo
Jarlath
Maczek
treemagnet
Shoveler74
AngryMonkey

Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Empty
PostSubject: Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers...   Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2021 8:56 am

For those of us who have Taigen lowers that use torsion bar suspension and Tamiya torsion bar lowers that are not using Tamiya components (aka Clark boards/Speakers/Smokers/etc...) mounting components on top of the floor is sometimes a Pita.

I personally cannot stand the Taigen "Mounting" plate. It's the cheap plastic and flimsy as hell. with only the 4 corners mounted to the lower hull. Every single one that I have removed from a tank has been warped or had a certain section of with bowing out of being a flat surface.
In my Taigen KV-1 I replaced that board with a stacked 1.5mm thick polystyrene plate that was glued together (3mm thickness total). After 1 season it was also warped to hell. So it came out and I made my 3D printed versions which have stood the test of time, but are super thick (4mm).

As most know I have a bit of an issue (obsession) with making the insides of a tank organized and tidy.

So I went and acquired several 1/16" thick aluminum sheets that have been trimmed 4"x 10" currently. I am going to be using them to replace the cheap plastic trays that are standard. I will use 12mm standoffs (M3 threaded through) for mounting to the hull.
I have a small shear that will allow me to trim these sheets to fit most torsion bar chassis' (example Taigen King Tiger uses a 4" x 9" plate).

When I fit the plate to the KT I am working on, I'll post some images. Then will come the KV-1, then the rest...
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers...   Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2021 12:10 pm

Cool idea. Does the 1/16" alum sheet flex at all ? Or because it is only 4"x 9" its not long enough to flex ?
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers...   Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2021 12:52 pm

It's much more rigid than the factory plastic version. Will add in at least 2 more standoffs (for 6 mounting points). So it may even reduce hull flex.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers...   Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2021 7:15 pm

Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Img_2077
The offensive PoS factory tray with warping already... Tank is pretty much brand new....

Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Img_2079
M3x12 standoffs already screwed in from the outer hull side. The same four corners as the old screws, plus a 5th one in the centre.

Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Img_2078
New aluminum plate roughed in place.

Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Img_2080
Screws are loose fit in place. to do component arrangement.

Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Img_2081
Where things will roughly sit.

Initial Images Hammer999999999. Smile

And Yes MikeC. This plate is WAY stiffer with next to no flex.
Back to top Go down
Shoveler74
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Shoveler74

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers...   Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2021 8:03 pm

Very nice! I used a 2mm styrene base for the IS3. Hasn't had a chance to warp though. Sad 
Looks like you have enuff TBU bases to cover the whole upper! Hits all around! Ha haa. 
Cheers

Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Hammertime999999999

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers...   Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2021 7:46 am

Looking good!
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers...   Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 8:44 am

So I am very happy with the aluminum plate mounting system. 5x 3mm screws holding down the plate.

Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Img_2082
Layout completed. Speaker box created and installed with volume control. Front hull brace installed. TK-80 in elevated and spaced mounting tray.
Smoker located and velcro'd in place.

Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Camera10
Power switch will be under the main deck hatch.

Left to do on Lower Hull....

1. Smoker plumbing
  2. Smoker wiring
  3. Power switch wiring & install, upper hull brace/bracket, body retention mount assembly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers...   Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mounting Plates in Torsion bar lowers...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1