Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» THIS YEARS SHIRTS and HATS!!!
A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Today at 9:09 am

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Yesterday at 5:22 pm

» Dean's Beast - 1/6 MkI King Tiger
A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 3:35 pm

» Panther 1 to 1
A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Yesterday at 12:15 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 pm

» New tank headed to DGS Military Hobby paint shop! :-)
A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:40 pm

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm

» April 20th Field work morning and afternoon play!
A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeby Chimo Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
A weird idea for better barrel smoke... I_vote_lcapA weird idea for better barrel smoke... I_voting_barA weird idea for better barrel smoke... I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
A weird idea for better barrel smoke... I_vote_lcapA weird idea for better barrel smoke... I_voting_barA weird idea for better barrel smoke... I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Chimo
Jarlath
Maczek
AngryMonkey
treemagnet
Shoveler74

A weird idea for better barrel smoke...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Empty
PostSubject: A weird idea for better barrel smoke...   A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2023 6:26 pm

I've had this idea in my head for a bit, and I figured it might be worth sharing (in case somebody who is a lot more clever than I am can actually make use of it)...

Here is the problem with barrel smoke in an RC tank - it comes out too slow.  The smoke from a tank gun, on the other hand, is an explosive ejection and comes out very fast.

So, the solution in my head is to actually shoot something out of the barrel.

This would require a tank with an airsoft gun.  You load it with special pellets.  These pellets are filled with a fine grey powder, and the shell is made of a weak material that will break from the force of being ejected when the gun fires.  So, when the gun fires, it's ejecting this cloud of fine grey powder that looks like an actual tank firing a shell.

Anyway, that's the thought in my head, for what it's worth.  I have no idea of how to actually engineer a weak airsoft pellet that would come apart towards the business end of the barrel (and I imagine it would add a whole bunch of barrel cleaning to tank maintenance).  But, it's an idea, and if somebody's interested who is more clever than I am, please do feel free to use it.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: A weird idea for better barrel smoke...   A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2023 8:44 pm

If the force from ejecting them will break the casing, it will break upon launching. You will have a mess in and out of the barrel and the powder may jam up the system.

If you use the actual "exploding" 6mm BB's that currently exist, they explode on impact, releasing a small cloud of powder.

The best system I ever saw for barrel smoke was a custom single piston smoker. But it was a custom machined unit that must have cost more than a Tamiya tank...
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: A weird idea for better barrel smoke...   A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 10:09 am

If you use narrow silicone air tube it will come out nice and fast. If you see my 1/6 M5 I think it looks pretty good.

Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: A weird idea for better barrel smoke...   A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 10:11 am

Here is another one.

Back to top Go down
Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: A weird idea for better barrel smoke...   A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 10:16 am

MikeC wrote:
If you use narrow silicone air tube it will come out nice and fast. If you see my 1/6 M5 I think it looks pretty good.

Neat!
Back to top Go down
Robert B. Marks
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: A weird idea for better barrel smoke...   A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 10:18 am

Jarlath wrote:
If the force from ejecting them will break the casing, it will break upon launching. You will have a mess in and out of the barrel and the powder may jam up the system.

If you use the actual "exploding" 6mm BB's that currently exist, they explode on impact, releasing a small cloud of powder.

The best system I ever saw for barrel smoke was a custom single piston smoker. But it was a custom machined unit that must have cost more than a Tamiya tank...

So, what you're saying is that to make this happen, we need to find an overweight Scottish engineer from the future and convince him that designing and producing it will somehow save humpback whales...

(Hopefully I'm not the only one who gets this joke.)
Back to top Go down
Shoveler74
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Shoveler74

PostSubject: Re: A weird idea for better barrel smoke...   A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 11:27 am

You have to speak into the mouse, "Computer?????"

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: A weird idea for better barrel smoke...   A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 3:00 pm

"A keyboard? How quaint!"
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A weird idea for better barrel smoke...   A weird idea for better barrel smoke... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A weird idea for better barrel smoke...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1