Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Dean's Beast - 1/6 MkI King Tiger
Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Today at 12:17 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» New tank headed to DGS Military Hobby paint shop! :-)
Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:40 pm

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm

» April 20th Field work morning and afternoon play!
Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeby Chimo Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

» Cause Of Flooding over The Field
Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

» COST TO UPGRADE A TANK TO BATTLEFIELD STANDARDS
Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Gears and Gearboxes I_vote_lcapGears and Gearboxes I_voting_barGears and Gearboxes I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Gears and Gearboxes I_vote_lcapGears and Gearboxes I_voting_barGears and Gearboxes I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Jarlath
Chimo
treemagnet
Shoveler74
AngryMonkey
Smittyburger

Gears and Gearboxes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

Gears and Gearboxes Empty
PostSubject: Gears and Gearboxes   Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 8:59 am

So I am looking into a long term project of a completely scratch built tank. So I'd like to get some information regarding gears and ratios that are currently out there...

So for an example, I have downloaded a Gearbox calculator (excel spreadsheet) which has a variety of details and data regarding ratios and teeth, etc...
According to the chart a standard 3:1 HL gearbox (3:1 = 3 reduction gear system) has an overall reduction factor of 39.326 : 1
None of them actually show or callout the DP/Module of the gears. (I am also assuming that they all have a 20 degree Pressure Angle).

Does anyone know of a source for aftermarket double gears and such for making a custom gearbox?
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Gears and Gearboxes   Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 9:52 am

Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Gears and Gearboxes   Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 10:40 am

Hmmm.... I need to relearn electrical calculations from 25+ years ago...
I recall reading that Clark boards and such have a max current draw of about 20A with the drive motors, which you would want to be well below with stall torque of the motor (Example, Graupner Speed 400, 6V, can draw 25A @ Stall torque, @ 7.2V that drops to 21A).

In the links you supplied, would you be better to select a 12V pololu gearbox vs a 6V, to run at a standard 7.2V? (higher V on the 6V = higher RPM and more heat?)
Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Gears and Gearboxes   Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 3:56 pm

I've never been able to figure out the pitch of gears our tanks use, the hobby shop guys had no idea and the standard pitches used in cars / helis weren't even close. I've been on the lookout for pinions for years, no luck.

Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Gears and Gearboxes   Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 4:14 pm

the gear pitch is 36 yep, 36. I took a set of gears to an industrial gear shop that is a customer of mine and they worked it out for me.
The key is to try and find 36 pitch gears. I have found a few places but not small quantity joints by no means
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Gears and Gearboxes   Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 10:39 pm

Gears and Gearboxes Bb_50-10
Back to top Go down
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Gears and Gearboxes   Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 11:00 pm

lol Jarlath wants us to do math, I don't even do math when I get paid lol
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Gears and Gearboxes   Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 8:22 am

Freakydude wrote:
lol Jarlath wants us to do math, I don't even do math when I get paid lol
Now, now... My expectations have not yet been formed... Don't give me preconceived notions...

I've been looking up gears and such and it is amazing how many places do NOT list pitch diameters (Or module for the metric ones)
Back to top Go down
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Gears and Gearboxes   Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 3:54 pm

my post was in gest only, i agree and there is even less places that you can go to get pinions.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Gears and Gearboxes   Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 4:19 pm

Freakydude wrote:
my post was in gest only, i agree and there is even less places that you can go to get pinions.
Yup I knew it was Smile

Guess RC'ing and custom gear-crafting is not as common as it used to be...
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Gears and Gearboxes   Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Unfortunately there is alot less science and way more trial and errors in this hobby than you think......... Half the time I just put something in and see if it works. If not, try something else............  :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gears and Gearboxes   Gears and Gearboxes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gears and Gearboxes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1