Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Field Work Meet Up Thread
SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Today at 8:22 pm

» Dean's Beast - 1/6 MkI King Tiger
SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Today at 7:46 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» New tank headed to DGS Military Hobby paint shop! :-)
SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:40 pm

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm

» April 20th Field work morning and afternoon play!
SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeby Chimo Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

» Cause Of Flooding over The Field
SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

» COST TO UPGRADE A TANK TO BATTLEFIELD STANDARDS
SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? I_vote_lcapSLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? I_voting_barSLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? I_vote_lcapSLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? I_voting_barSLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Chimo
Jarlath
AngryMonkey
Maczek
treemagnet
Shoveler74

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Empty
PostSubject: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 8:32 pm

I have been looking at ways to convert a Pz IV to IR, SLU and came up with these ideas;

Cut the lower airsoft unit off, leaving the upper part of the gun to support the barrel and mantlet and engage the elevation (I did this in the last Panther), this gives enough vertical room for the SLU.

I would have to be happy with just the track recoil, but I can live with that.

Install a flash.

Set the components up as shown in the picture.

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Slu_po10

Not sure if the emitter would go in the mantlet or if I would use an external, barrel mounted emitter.

I will be working on the Jagdpanther first, this is just some abstract forward thinking for a later project. It would use a tank I already have, it is a good airsoft shooter but there doesn't seem to be much call for airsoft around here, these days.

I would look at a repaint on this one and maybe a few things like turret skirts.

This is what it looks like now, Grossdeutschland colours/markings, Russia, Spring 1942.

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Img_0510

General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:05 am

I always wonder why I hardly ever see PnzIV's on ANY tank battlefield! Maybe other commanders don't like the suspension, I don't know, I think they do and can look awesome. Glen, your's looks great already Razz

The dimensions being overall similar yet a little bigger than the Panzer III means you'll have a bit more room to work with. I set my P3 up the same way as Hulu and Stince did, with the SLU in the far rear. It might help to cut away the battery box, seal it, and just mount the batteries internally. Depends on how easy you can change them.

Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:17 am

Strato50 wrote:
. Glen, your's looks great already Razz

Thanks, I am not 100% sure I'd re-finish, I just like painting them Wink

I chose not to repaint my next project, the Jagdpanther and will just convert it and touch it up a bit. That was because it was an authentic scheme and I was happy with it.

I did this one in GD colours because it was an authentic camo on a machine that did not have skirts; I thought the skirts might be a bit fragile and in the way on a model that was driven a lot.

Strato50 wrote:
The dimensions being overall similar yet a little bigger than the Panzer III means you'll have a bit more room to work with. I set my P3 up the same way as Hulu and Stince did, with the SLU in the far rear. It might help to cut away the battery box, seal it, and just mount the batteries internally. Depends on how easy you can change them.

Yeah, that layout I marked up is backwards to the normal installation, I will have to look a bit closer, I have time, this would be a future, winter project.

Basic "worst case" component dimensions are;

SLU 3 5/8" x 2 7/8" x 1"

ESC 3.3" x 2" x 1"

Retired
knispel

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:24 am

Great timing , I have been working to get a Panther ready for sat but the tank choosen for my second SLU upgrade was my Airsoft PZ IV. Thanks for your insights on how to cram all that stuff into it .
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member4.html
knispel
Retired
knispel

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:49 am

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? %3Ca%20href=</A>" border="0" />

And here is a shot of my PZ IV ,It a Taigen without the details

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Aec6d42c
Back to top Go down
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 12:01 pm

knispel wrote:
Great timing , I have been working to get a Panther ready for sat but the tank choosen for my second SLU upgrade was my Airsoft PZ IV. Thanks for your insights on how to cram all that stuff into it .

In my opinion, getting enough depth for the components is key.

I am used to using the existing battery boxes and so I don't take that route.

The Panther seems large but the room inside is wide and long but shallow, that's why I took the different approach of cutting down the airsoft unit, nothing projects below the turret floor, then.

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Img_0617

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Img_0618

This takes up less room than a recoil unit; I can live with the flash and the track recoil.

In regards to gearing, a wise man (Captain Action) said consider leaving the stock gears in, knowing my liking for 3:1's in the "cats" because the Pz IV would benefit form the speed.

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Strato50 wrote:
I always wonder why I hardly ever see PnzIV's on ANY tank battlefield!

I am not sure, but I don't read about many of them, either. IIRC there aren't any IR Pz Iv's at the Can Am.

I confess a liking for the "cats" and my perception is that a Tiger(I or II), Panther or Jagdpanther with 3:1's do better under poorer ground conditions than something smaller (though this may be proven wrong).

I am still thinking of mine for a future project, though.

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:39 pm

I like the Taigen, is it all R/Céd up?

Here's a few more of mine;

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Img_0512

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Img_0513

General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:25 pm

I believe Tim has a Panzer IV, but I don't know if it's IR. I would like to get one some day and convert it to Jagdpanzer IV.

Back to top Go down
https://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum.com
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:41 pm

I did think about Tim's Pz IV but I am not sure if it is IR.

There is a Jagdpanzer IV conversion kit but it is about $175.00 before shipping. http://www.profiline-models.com/Jagdpanzer-IV70-V.html

Or were you thinking of a scratch build conversion?

Captain
Captain
Stinger

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Pz IV is one of the few tanks I don't have and would like to get, so it's on my shopping list...did I hear somone say the hobby show is coming up. Sounds like a great time to pick up a Pz Iv. (or two)

Stinger

Can-Am Tank Club <<< Web site link

Tiger I | King Tiger | Panther G | PzIII | PzIV | Stug IV | SturmTiger | Pershing/Howitzer | M16 Halftrack | M26 Super Pershing | M48 Patton | M41 Bulldog | Gepard | Leopard | KV-1 | KV-2 |T-34 |
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member2.html
TeTris MoNk
Sergeant
Sergeant
TeTris MoNk

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 10:24 pm

After doing my Bulldog there is no way in hell I'm gonna touch another small tank with an SLU Razz

....yet my dad has a Pz. IV and he wants it IR'd >.<

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? 2011-12-24205154
Back to top Go down
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 3:23 am

Tetris, that isn't nearly yellow enough! Razz

Stinger
Captain
Captain
Stinger

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:38 am

Strato50 wrote:
Tetris, that isn't nearly yellow enough! Razz

Yea, that's just looks terrible....he should sell it to me...hehehehe Twisted Evil

Stinger

Tiger I | King Tiger | Panther G | PzIII | PzIV | Stug IV | SturmTiger | Pershing/Howitzer | M16 Halftrack | M26 Super Pershing | M48 Patton | M41 Bulldog | Gepard | Leopard | KV-1 | KV-2 |T-34 |
Back to top Go down
TeTris MoNk
Sergeant
Sergeant
TeTris MoNk

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:54 am

You sure its gotta be more yellow?

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? 800px-SdKfz161-1-1

And Stinger.... you trying getting a DAK tank away from Erwin Rommel. (yes my grandpa named him that...)
Back to top Go down
Stinger
Captain
Captain
Stinger

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:22 am

Great pic ! Time to start building a desert cammo set of tanks. That looks great. I'm starting on gathering the pieces I need to make the Bovington Tiger I right now...seems a Pz Iv will need to join it...lol

Back to top Go down
knispel
Retired
knispel

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 1:32 pm

I have to admit my Taigen Pz IV is so pretty that it will be hard to make the firt cuts for the SLU conversion .
Back to top Go down
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Well, I sold some "curios" (junk) from the basement, today; very pleased with the proceeds Very Happy

Consequently, I have ordered a Pz IV SLU and will be going ahead with this conversion project.

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Img_0514

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Img_0515

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Img_0517

PostSubject: Re: SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????   SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ???????? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SLU Installation in a Panzer IV F2 ????????

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1