Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Dean's Beast - 1/6 MkI King Tiger
Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Today at 12:17 pm

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» New tank headed to DGS Military Hobby paint shop! :-)
Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:40 pm

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm

» April 20th Field work morning and afternoon play!
Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeby Chimo Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

» Cause Of Flooding over The Field
Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

» COST TO UPGRADE A TANK TO BATTLEFIELD STANDARDS
Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem I_vote_lcapHeng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem I_voting_barHeng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem I_vote_lcapHeng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem I_voting_barHeng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Jarlath
Chimo
AngryMonkey
treemagnet
Shoveler74
Smittyburger

Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HiawathaPete
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Empty
PostSubject: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2021 2:29 pm

Hi folks, 

I was wondering if anyone else here has experienced this. My Heng Long 6.0 King Tiger is no longer "sending" hits to any of my other two HL tanks. 

It's not an issue with the IR receivers on my other tanks (HL Sherman & HL Tiger I) because they both send and receive hits on each other OK. 

My King Tiger however will receive, but not send hits. It's only a couple months old and was working fine till now.

At the bottom of this post is a video of my KT emitter as compared to my Sherman.

In the first part of the video (sorry for the lighting, it gets better later) the IR flash pattern is present but looks erratic as compared to my Sherman. At this point my KT was only able to send hits to other tanks very intermittently (about 1 in 10 firings)

In the second part of the video, the KT emitter has now stopped working completely (no flash at all).

The third part of the video shows my fully functional Sherman IR emitter.

So my question is: What is the most likely culprit - IR emitter LED? or MFU board? 

And if it is a problem with the MFU, is there a way to 'pair' a new 6.0 board with my current 6.0 transmitter, or would I need to buy both the the board and transmitter together as a package?

I'm going to open the tank up later to check for anything obvious like a wiring or connection issue, but I have my doubts that is the problem as the emitter was flashing initially.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.  Aye Aye

Last edited by HiawathaPete on Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2021 2:46 pm

Hey Pete, one thing you can check very quickly is swap the KT broad with the Sherman board and see if you have the same problem. If you do then chances it is probably the IR emitter LED. If not then your Sherman will not work and it is probably the HL board.

You can pair HL board with different radio so you can just replace the faulty board.

You might also find that both of them are working in which case it is probably a loose wire.........  :-)

MikeC.
Back to top Go down
HiawathaPete
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2021 3:02 pm

Thanks Mike!  Smile Sounds good. If not some obvious broken connection or other, I'll see if the problem transfers to the other tank when I swap the board. 

If it does turn out to be the board, I was wondering how do you pair a new board to your transmitter? (ie is it the same process as described in the HL instruction manual when powering the tank up for the first time using the "lock" button on the transmitter - Or would I need to buy a new crystal or something?)

Thanks again! Pete
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2021 3:38 pm

Yes just following the same instruction to bind the new board to your existing radio.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2021 4:58 pm

Also check your wiring. Occasionally the wiring will get "eaten" but the turret rotation gears.

Odds are that it is the Bulb. Which is a cheaper fix than a new MFU.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
HiawathaPete
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 4:30 pm

Swapped the MFU's (the KT board in the Sherman & the Sherman board in the KT) and the problem did not transfer - KT still not 'sending' hits (and Sherman still good). In all likelihood not a board problem.
Took the tank completely apart, visually inspected LED wiring -looks OK.

Going to order a new HL emitter LED & wiring harness and replace.

Mike C and Jarlath -thank you once again for the info, you guys rock! 

Best Regards, Pete
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 4:52 pm

If you are handy with the soldering iron I would try replacing the IR bulb first. There are dim and a dozen and you can get it much cheaper and faster.
Back to top Go down
HiawathaPete
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 5:43 pm

I'm good with a soldering iron and have no problem ordering an IR LED from newark electronics or digikey: https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/osram-opto-semiconductors-inc/SFH-4545/2205955

But I'm still thinking replace the harness with new wiring (in addition to replacing the LED) to circumvent any possible intermittent problem with the Heng Long factory wiring.

Matomart also sells the OEM Heng Long LED together with harness for 4.14CAD: 
https://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=493 . 

Still have to decide which route I'm going to take.

Cheers, Pete
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 9:21 pm

What do you mean the harness ? Do you mean the JST connector that goes onto the board ? The link you sent from Matomart is just the IR emitter with wires. I have all the plugs and crimper so I can make one for you with a new IR emitter and mail it to you. Save you money and time. Just send me a picture of what you need.

MikeC.
Back to top Go down
HiawathaPete
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 10:27 pm

Hi Mike. By harness I meant the wires/leads. 

I know the one from Mato comes without connectors, so yes technically it's not really a harness. I just bought the LED+wires from Mato and am simply going to re-use the existing 2 pin connector by cutting it out of the circuit leaving an inch or two of the old wire at the connector end and soldering the new LED wires to that ... Not perfect but that's what I'm doing for now.

But if I have a future need for LED's/wiring/connectors, I would certainly consider giving you a shout (I just noticed the personal message button here on the forum for the first time)

Thanks again & Best Regards, Pete
Back to top Go down
HiawathaPete
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2021 3:23 pm

King Tiger fixed - problem was the IR LED - which I've since replaced. Thanks MikeC & Jarlath!
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2021 5:10 pm

Cool.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2021 5:53 pm

YAY. Love solutions that work!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem   Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heng Long King Tiger IR emitter problem

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1