Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Field Work Meet Up Thread
looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 5:26 am

» Dean's Beast - 1/6 MkI King Tiger
looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Today at 5:08 am

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 pm

» New tank headed to DGS Military Hobby paint shop! :-)
looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:40 pm

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm

» April 20th Field work morning and afternoon play!
looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeby Chimo Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

» Cause Of Flooding over The Field
looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

» COST TO UPGRADE A TANK TO BATTLEFIELD STANDARDS
looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
looking for newbie advice I_vote_lcaplooking for newbie advice I_voting_barlooking for newbie advice I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
looking for newbie advice I_vote_lcaplooking for newbie advice I_voting_barlooking for newbie advice I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Chimo
Jarlath
AngryMonkey
Maczek
treemagnet
Shoveler74

looking for newbie advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mikeb365
Recruit

looking for newbie advice Empty
PostSubject: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeWed Nov 22, 2023 7:50 pm

Hi

I’m a huge Tamiya fan (RC car builds). 

If however I want to try out tanks, the Tamiya “buy-in” is huge.  

To effectively participate in tank battles, what brand and models would you recommend to start…if I really enjoy it, then I can invest in Tamiya

Thanks

Mike from south Mississauga
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeWed Nov 22, 2023 10:39 pm

Welcome Mike. The main issue is that any off the shelf stuff you buy you will need some modification or upgrade to do battle. Dean on the forum here sells a kit for Heng Long tanks, but they are not really suitable to battle in any realistic sense.

The other option if you are not handy is to buy a used tank that is battle ready from a fellow tanker. 

Come out to our next meet and you can have a look see yourself in person !
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeWed Nov 22, 2023 10:40 pm

Mikeb365 wrote:
Hi

I’m a huge Tamiya fan (RC car builds). 

If however I want to try out tanks, the Tamiya “buy-in” is huge.  

To effectively participate in tank battles, what brand and models would you recommend to start…if I really enjoy it, then I can invest in Tamiya

Thanks

Mike from south Mississauga
Welcome Mike, (yes another Mike!!!)

So at the Mississauga field, a standard newer Heng Long tank would do you OK. Hach runs the VietRCClub Iron Fist Battalion
Mississauga, ON – Can-Am Radio Control Tank Club (can-amrctankclub.com)

For us at the Riemer Field Battleground, you can come run any type of tank you want.
Waterloo, ON – Can-Am Radio Control Tank Club (can-amrctankclub.com)

However in Waterloo, our Heng Long, Taigen, Hooben, etc... are all upgraded to compete in IR Battles compatible with the Tamiya system.

• Base Tank $250-800 CDN
  • $150 CDN control Board, IR upgrades $50-75 CDN
  • Or instead of the previous 2 you buy a Tamiya...
  • Radio (TX and RX)
  • Upgrades (Idler adjustment, aftermarket recoil/flash/etc...)
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Hammertime999999999
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Hammertime999999999

PostSubject: Re: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2023 9:56 am

I guess this new Mike could henceforth be designated “MikeB” if acceptable?

Wink

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2023 1:03 pm

Technically Jarlath = MikeD if he was less creative with his forum ID.
Back to top Go down
Hammertime999999999
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Hammertime999999999

PostSubject: Re: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2023 4:00 pm

MikeC wrote:
Technically Jarlath = MikeD if he was less creative with his forum ID.

Indeed!

I sometimes call Jarlath MikeD as well Smile
Back to top Go down
Hammertime999999999
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Hammertime999999999

PostSubject: Re: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2023 4:09 pm

To the new Mike,

Our next and, sadly, last meet for the year is December 9; there’s a post with the deets, under the latest topics on left of web page.
Back to top Go down
Wilky
Private

PostSubject: Re: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 5:58 am

As a fellow newbie I'm curious as to what exactly renders Heng Long tanks as "not really suitable to battle in any realistic sense"
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 1:26 pm

While HL 7.1 it is compatible with Tamiya Battle System. The main issue is you cannot control the number of lives (5 is fixed) and there is no delay on firing. With Tamiya, you can set the number of hits taken from the class (light tank, medium tank or heavy) and you have a corresponding delay in firing (light tank can fire quicker and heavy longer). You can even change that relationship with Clark board but we don't usually.

Bottomline is HL is great for running around shooting each other, but can't really meaningfully participate in more realistic battle like we do on the field.
Back to top Go down
Wilky
Private

PostSubject: Re: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 4:09 pm

Interesting - thanks for the response. Are there many people running HL in your club?
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeWed Nov 29, 2023 9:46 pm

Pretty much all of us started out with HL. Best thing to do come out to a meet, play around with your tank, talk to us and see the upgrades we do. It is one of the best outdoor battlefields in the world so well worth it to come out for a day. :-)

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitimeWed Nov 29, 2023 9:47 pm

I should add that there are always lenders around to use for battling with us no problem...

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: looking for newbie advice   looking for newbie advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

looking for newbie advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Can-Am RC Tank Club :: Command Post :: Introductions-