Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Dean's Beast - 1/6 MkI King Tiger
Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeby MikeC Today at 10:51 am

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» New tank headed to DGS Military Hobby paint shop! :-)
Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:40 pm

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm

» April 20th Field work morning and afternoon play!
Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeby Chimo Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

» Cause Of Flooding over The Field
Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

» COST TO UPGRADE A TANK TO BATTLEFIELD STANDARDS
Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts I_vote_lcapBig Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts I_voting_barBig Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts I_vote_lcapBig Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts I_voting_barBig Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Jarlath
Chimo
AngryMonkey
treemagnet
Shoveler74
Smittyburger

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Empty
PostSubject: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 am

SO by now many of you have known and seen that I have a 3D printer and have been playing around with making my own recoil system (Based/cloned from the Clark universal one).

SO currently the main recoil system (Body/barrel/gears/elevation tab) are complete and have been tested with servos and a servo tester.

Currently it has been created and implemented on a HL T34-85 turret and a beefed up Turret gun mantlet mount was made for the T-34.

So the next version will be for a HL Jagdpanther... And my gun mantlet mount was demo'd (by my son who likes to run into things...)

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Img_2022
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 pm

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Layout15

So for a size comparison so ar... The one in the background is my model of the Clark Universal Recoil unit.

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Layout14

Mine will use the standard arm that comes with the Emax servo (Which my order arrived today so I'll be able to start making my universal recoil kits (8 of them)
The holes in the sides are for 5mm tubing that will be used for pivot points that ate at that position.

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Layout13
Here you see the compactness that I'm doing compared to the standard one. I will be adding a "Bolt on tail" that will allow for typical H/L elevation styles and the Spring recess (I make use a pin instead of the box for centering). This current iteration will give 14-15mm of travel and will have a return spring to assist it in returning to battery. (Also allows for a small hit on the barrel to not destroy the recoil system (10mm of give via the slot...)
Back to top Go down
dgsselkirk
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 am

Interesting, bringing one this weekend???  Wink

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 9:10 am

Depends if I can finish the design today @ work... If so, I'll 3D print out tonight.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Compac14

OK. Design Finished... If the servo goes the wrong way...(60d travel). Showing off the servo linkage attachment plate. Holes on both sides for wherever you want to attach a servo linkage (I am assuming a hook up to a dial pot on a remote...)

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Compac17
Servo in neutral position (Extended barrel).

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Compac18
Servo at maximum possible travel of 70d from neutral... This gives the maximum 15mm of travel. Typical 60degree throw from neutral is 12-13mm.
Design is setup to allow for custom longer arms and such for making a longer travel (note the 2nd set of servo mounting holes).
Will be working on a sliding servo arm similar the linkage shown, but without a Spring. Spring inside will add $2 to the cost.. BOO!

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Compac16
Size comparison with servoes. The Compact servo elevation version vs. Standard Clark

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Compac15
Mike Gen2 Compact with elevation tail size comparison.

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Compac19
Upper Left is the Clark, Middle is Mike's Gen1 Streamlined Tail elvation. Lower Right is new Compact design with Tail.

I will be 3D printing tonight... Hope it goes well!
Plan on bringing one or two compact units out with servoes. Depending on how well the function (dimensional tweeks, if they even work...) they may even be for sale...
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 11:08 am

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Img_2030
Starting the prototypes...

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Img_2029
Smaller pieces completed, now just finishing the bodies and the barrels...

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Img_2032
Roughly put together... #2 screws are too big, they strain the ABS too much and are in reality slightly larger than 2mm which I have designed for... That hardware I have ordered through E-Bay.. (Damned China lead times...)
Currently a too large screw for the servo arm and a chopped binder clip for the linkage slider (recall that #2 are a bit larger than 2mm)

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Img_2031
So I will be printing out the elevation tail tonight for the 2nd Compact recoil system. When I start out I'll be having both Servo elevation end as well as the Tail style elevation included. So anyone interested for $25 a set (includes servo)? Smile
I also plan to look at the elevation for the Stug III which has the two side rails if I recall from talking to Dean...
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 11:48 am

Aha! Discovered a flaw in my design! Will correct for production. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2017 1:30 pm

So after seeing the pre-production units. Any questions or comments? Ideas for improvements?
Bueller? Bueller?

Current design will allow for both 10mm and 15 mm recoil travel (long vs short linkage)
It also allows for you run your tank into something with your barrel and not destroy the gear teeth as happens with the Clark recoil set (it actually presses against the spring and cap, not the plastic teeth).
Size is also compact to allow for easier fit and routing in cramped turrets with minimal available real estate.

Currently the final production unit will include.
Package Contents:
Metal Gear Servo (qty 1, comes with multiple servo arms, 3 mounting screws and arm screw)
Recoil Barrel (qty1)
Recoil Body, Compact (qty 1)
Elevation Cap, Servo (qty 1)
Elevation Cap, Tail (qty 1)
Body/Cap Screws (qty 6)
2mm Recoil Pin (qty 1)
Recoil Linkage, Long (qty 1)
Recoil Linkage, Short (qty 1)
Recoil Spring (qty 1)
Instruction Sheet (qty 1)

Required for Assembly:
Sandpaper/Files for smoothing down recoil path & any sprue marks
Screw drivers/hex drivers

Optional additions:
5mm OD tube/shaft for elevation pivot (qty 2) (if your turret requires it)
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2017 2:07 pm

Jarlath wrote:
Was the one I got yesterday a pre production ? i.e. with flaw ?
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2017 2:30 pm

MikeC wrote:
Jarlath wrote:
Was the one I got yesterday a pre production ? i.e. with flaw ?

No. I made two main bodys that corrected the flaw. The mantlet mount face width was corrected to standard size. Also added a removable manufacturing brace between the servo mount holes to correct for "sag" during manufacturing.

However if you want the old flawed ones as well, I can let you have them for a steal! No servos, no hardware, no elevation caps, but I will include pre-production barrels and springs!
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Sure I will take them. Most of my custom build I don't need the Heng Long connectors anyway.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 am

Alright! Finally able to get back into swing... My ABS has arrived!
Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Img_2040
10 rolls of ABS specifically for the 3D printer I am using (Identical manufacturer so no setting changes needed...)

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Img_2042
Some nice M2 x 10mm Hex cap screws for the unit.

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Img_2041

The beginnings of the first few sets... Smile Tee Hee!
Back to top Go down
Renesis
Corporal
Corporal
Renesis

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Aug 10, 2017 11:39 am

Hey Mike I never asked you, but would your recoil system work in a panther turret? Since they use a different elevation unit from the other tanks?
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Aug 10, 2017 1:20 pm

I would not know. Have not yet looked into a Panther turret to see the differences.

Currently my system is a more compact version of the Clark Universal Recoil system. I'd need to see the existing mechanism.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Aug 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Ahhh. I see. It is similar to that of the Stug with a rotating lug mounted on the right side. Unless you change it to a servo driven elevation system, then no, the compact version will not work. I will look at the lug version however soon.

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Heng-l10
That being said. Depending on the exact position of the elevation crank compared to the pivot location, I may be able to design an end cap that will incorporate the rails for elevation. Depends if the servo mount intrudes on the required space claim.

Last edited by Jarlath on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : It's crank, not elevation crack Sheesh!)
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Aug 10, 2017 4:07 pm

Anyone have this dimension handy?

Just wondering.

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Panthe10
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 12:01 am

OK. I've almost completed the initial release for Jarlath's Compact Recoil Kit.
Finishing up the assembly instructions (with optional layouts/etc...).

Installed and tested successfully on my (son's) Jagdpather. Images to follow tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2018 11:11 am

Speaking of airsoft and recoil units....
Does anyone have one for the Stug III? aka a spare HL original?

I want to make sure that I can fit the Gen 4 JCC Recoil unit for use in the Stug/Panther/Sherman turret (Side elevation and with the alignment tab in the stug)... I will give it back once done...
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Here is the modeling of the gen 4 JCC recoil unit. Even more compact with no internal mods required hopefully (aka removal of airsoft feed path, etc...)

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Gen4pr11
Gen 4 on bottom. Will have option for spring loaded barrel system or not. Recoil will be about 12-14mm travel.

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Gen4pr10
Less side profile and nothing on top to interfere with mounting.

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Gen4pr12
Mass (Servo) is more centrally located.

Current tail is similar to old version with some mass reduction.
Back to top Go down
treemagnet
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2018 9:32 pm

nice Cad work what software do you use
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2018 9:42 pm

Unigraphics 9.0 @ work... Trying to find a standalone to load at home....
Back to top Go down
treemagnet
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 pm

U
Unigraphics nice package never used it been using solidworks since 99
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Been using CAD's since AutoCad the mid-late eighties... Smile
Back to top Go down
treemagnet
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2018 7:58 am

Ya I used a cad package for the old Amiga  in the early eighties then went to autocad, ideas, back to auto cad then solidworks
oh crap I am dating myself
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2018 8:17 am

Me too.
AutoCAD up to 14,
Pro-Engineer version 7 to Wildfire 2.0
Unigraphics NX 6 to 9

Dabbled with versions of Autodesk Inventor, Solidworks, Catia.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts   Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big Mike's Recoil system & manlet mounts

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next