Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Yesterday at 10:09 pm

» Martin's PZ III combat god?
Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeby Shoveler74 Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:04 pm

» Dean's Beast - 1/6 MkI King Tiger
Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:20 pm

» Panther 1 to 1
Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeby Jarlath Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 pm

» 1/6 Dragon Jeep Kit
Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeby MikeC Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:51 pm

» THIS YEARS SHIRTS and HATS!!!
Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 am

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 pm

» New tank headed to DGS Military Hobby paint shop! :-)
Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:40 pm

Top posting users this month
Abteilung 506
Issues with Clark board movement  I_vote_lcapIssues with Clark board movement  I_voting_barIssues with Clark board movement  I_vote_rcap 
Hammertime999999999
Issues with Clark board movement  I_vote_lcapIssues with Clark board movement  I_voting_barIssues with Clark board movement  I_vote_rcap 

Issues with Clark board movement

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TANKERJoe
Recruit

Issues with Clark board movement  Empty
PostSubject: Issues with Clark board movement    Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 8:19 pm

Hi guys, got a brand new mato king tiger and installed the clark tk50 with SBUS as well as the flysky 10Ch remote. Main issue is that it seems to run pretty fast and either takes super wide turns or just pivot turns. Would like to figure out how to slow it down and get it to make tighter turns if anyone has experience with these systems I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Clark board movement    Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2024 12:01 am

Here is the link to the manual. You would have the TK-50S board.

http://www.clark-model.com/eng/prod_rx50/index.html

This is the table for trimming turning circle/radius/pivot turns. I would imagine the first thing you would do is turn off pivot turn and see what happens and then try the other mode (4/5/6).

Mixer mode(2)Press Issues with Clark board movement  Mute (MUTE) key on IR Configuration Remote to select( S.BUS version: TK50S,TK50SP )
Available SettingsIndicator flashes timesDescription
Mixer Mode 11*Tank mode 1
CH1 controls rudder, CH2 controls throttle.
Proportional steering, sharp and pivot turn* are supported
Left TrackRight Track
Pivot
Turn
Sharp
Turn
Proportional
Steering
Proportional
Steering
Sharp
Turn
Pivot
Turn

Mixer Mode 22OFF mode
CH1 controls left track, CH2 controls right track

When using triple differential gear box,
CH1 controls steering motor(CN6),
CH2 controls propulsion motor(CN7)
Mixer Mode 33 Triple differential gear box simulation mode
(World of Tank Mode )

CH1 controls rudder, CH2 controls throttle.
Left track speed = Throttle - rudder
Right track speed = Throttle + rudder
Mixer Mode 44Tank mode 2
CH1 controls rudder, CH2 controls throttle,
Proportional steering and sharp turn are supported
Left TrackRight Track
0%
Turn
Proportional
Steering
Proportional
Steering
0%
Turn

Mixer Mode 55Dual motor Half-Track mode 1
Left TrackRight Track
50%
Turn
Proportional
Steering
Proportional
Steering
50%
Turn

Mixer Mode 66Dual motor Half-Track mode 2
Left TrackRight Track
75%
Turn
Proportional
Steering
Proportional
Steering
75%
Turn

Mixer Mode 77NA,Do not select this mode
Mixer Mode 88NA,Do not select this mode
Back to top Go down
TANKERJoe
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Clark board movement    Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 10:47 am

Thanks for the reply and info, I try this and has negligible impact, I'm thinking the tank is just too heavy, I removed the upper hull and turret to test the mixers and it moved amazingly just on the 1st default setting. When fuly assembled and put on the #4 mix setting it still has hard time turning and almost will never turn with just one track. Runs pretty good going straight though.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Clark board movement    Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 11:34 am

Another trick you can do is to over trim it on your radio and see if it helps. This is assumming your radio will allow you to over trim. Mine will let me go up to 125% on any particular channels.
Back to top Go down
Abteilung 506
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Abteilung 506

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Clark board movement    Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:17 pm

I've found with both my Tamiya KT's with the big metal tracks it won't turn on a dime at speed. It will just go in a very wide arc so like the OP's experience with his Mato. I basically have to drive it like a real tank would move/steer so turns have to be done at a slow speed as opposed to an RC crawler or light HL tank. That along with other things makes the large long barreled heavy KT's pretty well useless to battle with against the jack rabbit tanks.
Back to top Go down
TANKERJoe
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Clark board movement    Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:45 pm

MikeC wrote:
Another trick you can do is to over trim it on your radio and see if it helps. This is assumming your radio will allow you to over trim. Mine will let me go up to 125% on any particular channels.
Thanks Mike, I'll try this later
Back to top Go down
TANKERJoe
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Clark board movement    Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 1:34 pm

Abteilung 506 wrote:
I've found with both my Tamiya KT's with the big metal tracks it won't turn on a dime at speed. It will just go in a very wide arc so like the OP's experience with his Mato. I basically have to drive it like a real tank would move/steer so turns have to be done at a slow speed as opposed to an RC crawler or light HL tank. That along with other things makes the large long barreled heavy KT's pretty well useless to battle with against the jack rabbit tanks.
Yea, mine won't even turn sharp while crawling
Back to top Go down
Jarlath
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Jarlath

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Clark board movement    Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2024 11:20 am

So the issue with the large heavy tracked tanks not turning is the following... (again, only when pivot spin/super spin is disabled...)

Heavy tracks have high friction/traction.
Road Wheels have bearings with very low rolling resistance
High Speed Gearboxes have very little differences in torque outputs due to motor type/gear ratios and can be turned easily...

SO when you try and turn in a heavy tank like a full metal taigen KT with standard gearboxes...
What is supposed to happen is the following:
- one motor decreases voltage to turn at a lower RPM and therefore cause one track to slow down and thereby turn the tank in the direction of the slower track.

What actually happens:
- one motor decreases voltage to supposedly lower output shaft rpm. However...
- tracks have great mass and resist turning due to traction on the ground. 
- the lack of resistance in the road wheel bearings means that there is very little friction forces against the tracks in the suspension.
- the lack of gearbox ratios is shown by the the lack of road wheel friction and sliding of the track on the ground (turning). This means that the resultant track force pushes/rotates the gearbox back into the motor and keeps motor rpm high regardless of voltage or lack thereof. (A method to check gearbox resistance is to attempt to turn the connected drive sprocket in the gearbox in either direction. Easy? Heavy tank will be hard to turn).

Problem solvers? 
Simple but $$$: High ratio gearboxes that require a lot of effort to turn the drive motor. This gearbox resistance makes a huge difference. 
Hard to evaluate but $: Higher quality motors that have better magnets internally to resist "free wheel" conditions. This is a guessing game, plus the new motors have to fit in your hulls (HL Blue motors are faster top speed, with unknown magnet strength, and the red motors are longer and may not fit.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.tpf-online.com
TANKERJoe
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Clark board movement    Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2024 1:11 pm

Jarlath wrote:
So the issue with the large heavy tracked tanks not turning is the following... (again, only when pivot spin/super spin is disabled...)

Heavy tracks have high friction/traction.
Road Wheels have bearings with very low rolling resistance
High Speed Gearboxes have very little differences in torque outputs due to motor type/gear ratios and can be turned easily...

SO when you try and turn in a heavy tank like a full metal taigen KT with standard gearboxes...
What is supposed to happen is the following:
- one motor decreases voltage to turn at a lower RPM and therefore cause one track to slow down and thereby turn the tank in the direction of the slower track.

What actually happens:
- one motor decreases voltage to supposedly lower output shaft rpm. However...
- tracks have great mass and resist turning due to traction on the ground. 
- the lack of resistance in the road wheel bearings means that there is very little friction forces against the tracks in the suspension.
- the lack of gearbox ratios is shown by the the lack of road wheel friction and sliding of the track on the ground (turning). This means that the resultant track force pushes/rotates the gearbox back into the motor and keeps motor rpm high regardless of voltage or lack thereof. (A method to check gearbox resistance is to attempt to turn the connected drive sprocket in the gearbox in either direction. Easy? Heavy tank will be hard to turn).

Problem solvers? 
Simple but $$$: High ratio gearboxes that require a lot of effort to turn the drive motor. This gearbox resistance makes a huge difference. 
Hard to evaluate but $: Higher quality motors that have better magnets internally to resist "free wheel" conditions. This is a guessing game, plus the new motors have to fit in your hulls (HL Blue motors are faster top speed, with unknown magnet strength, and the red motors are longer and may not fit.)
Thank you for the info. This makes the most sense, I think my best bet would be the Taigen 4:1 gearboxes as they have the highest ratio at actually 90:1. You are correct, the stock mato motors that came with it are marketed as Mato 5:1 but are actually 46:1and can be turned fairly easy. It seems these motors are also compatible with plastic HL tanks so maybe a high ratio gearbox for a HL will work with mato
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Issues with Clark board movement    Issues with Clark board movement  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Issues with Clark board movement

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1