Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Today at 10:07 pm

» Dean's Beast - 1/6 MkI King Tiger
Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeby Abteilung 506 Today at 7:46 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» New tank headed to DGS Military Hobby paint shop! :-)
Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:40 pm

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm

» April 20th Field work morning and afternoon play!
Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeby Chimo Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

» Cause Of Flooding over The Field
Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

» COST TO UPGRADE A TANK TO BATTLEFIELD STANDARDS
Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Where to buy tanks? I_vote_lcapWhere to buy tanks? I_voting_barWhere to buy tanks? I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Where to buy tanks? I_vote_lcapWhere to buy tanks? I_voting_barWhere to buy tanks? I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Chimo
Jarlath
Maczek
treemagnet
Shoveler74
AngryMonkey

Where to buy tanks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Yaxx
Recruit

Where to buy tanks? Empty
PostSubject: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 3:28 pm

After spending 2 days on web.... Confused! There is WSN, Henglong etc... all look same! Very often info on websites from China have very limited info on what it is and what comes with it! Hard to tel from picture whu same t34 cost $129 nd then other site has same tank for $209... I am not worried about price I just want to make sure to buy proper deal with all sounds, smokes and IR! 

So here is question: where you guys suggest to buy tanks? So you don't get screwed over...
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 4:02 pm

Which one do you have in mind ? It all depends on which one you want. If it is HL/Mato then you can buy directly from Mato (They are actually in Markham but won't do any drop in so you stil lhave to pay shipping but you get it next day). I also know a guy in Scarboro that sells HLs out of his house and he is dirt cheap.

Taigen I would go with Curtis who is from Barrie but he will meet up with you somewhere in TO.

I am in Toronto myself that's the only reason I know all the locals.......  :-)

MikeC.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 4:05 pm

Oh and with Curtis from Immortal and my contact in Scarboro you can actually look at the tank when you get it which is a +++. There is always the worry when you buy something over the web, although Mato is always very good, and so is some of the more established oversea guys like WDM, rctank.de etc.
Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 4:20 pm

For a T-34 in order for quality and cost is:

1. Taigen (top)

2. Heng Long

3. WSN / Trumpter (bottom)

Back to top Go down
https://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum.com
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Back to top Go down
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Yaxx    I very seldom do this but today I am going to wade into the water.
Europe - imho you are crazy if you buy anything in Europe, with exchange and shipping everything is a premium.
Asian markets - careful, what you get is not always what you ordered, service can be costly returning items or trying to resolve any issue plus you pay for shipping unless you wait 7 to 16 weeks.
mato - I personally bought lots from them before I got into tanking hard core, for every great review you can find a mediocre to bad one. Really this can be a good deal or a bad one all depends on the box they ship you.
Nova/RC dynasty ( same company ) some benefits IF you do the pick up and test the tank but all it is will be Heng Long product
My store Immortal - I am trying to get away from the junk tanks like heng long because the effort to fix them burns a huge hole in your pocket. I have yet to see an HL tank fixed up that didn't cost 3 times the purchase price. I will meet you yes but my schedule is hectic and timing needs to be worked out before hand.

WSN, Heng Long and Mato tanks - OK but all of them are money pits for one reason or another ( WSN doesn't even exist anymore but they have some product still floating around ). HL and mato are improving though.
Taigen/Torro better quality but more expensive, overall in my opinion they are the best value of all tanks as long as you get the metal lowers, Don't buy the fancy rebranded Heng longs that taigen sells.
Tamiya - At one time king of the hill, but they expensive and they do break just like everything else, generally though once built if done properly there is no upgrades required.

maybe we could have a talk one day by phone or skype. saying you want a tank is like saying I want anything. There are lots of choices and it goes way beyond product or seller.
Back to top Go down
Airbrushler
Retired
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 8:48 pm

Freakydude wrote:
Yaxx    I very seldom do this but today I am going to wade into the water.
Europe - imho you are crazy if you buy anything in Europe, with exchange and shipping everything is a premium.
Asian markets - careful, what you get is not always what you ordered, service can be costly returning items or trying to resolve any issue plus you pay for shipping unless you wait 7 to 16 weeks.
mato - I personally bought lots from them before I got into tanking hard core, for every great review you can find a mediocre to bad one. Really this can be a good deal or a bad one all depends on the box they ship you.
Nova/RC dynasty ( same company ) some benefits IF you do the pick up and test the tank but all it is will be Heng Long product
My store Immortal - I am trying to get away from the junk tanks like heng long because the effort to fix them burns a huge hole in your pocket. I have yet to see an HL tank fixed up that didn't cost 3 times the purchase price. I will meet you yes but my schedule is hectic and timing needs to be worked out before hand.

WSN, Heng Long and Mato tanks - OK but all of them are money pits for one reason or another ( WSN doesn't even exist anymore but they have some product still floating around ). HL and mato are improving though.
Taigen/Torro better quality but more expensive, overall in my opinion they are the best value of all tanks as long as you get the metal lowers, Don't buy the fancy rebranded Heng longs that taigen sells.
Tamiya - At one time king of the hill, but they expensive and they do break just like everything else, generally though once built if done properly there is no upgrades required.

maybe we could have a talk one day by phone or skype. saying you want a tank is like saying I want anything. There are lots of choices and it goes way beyond product or seller.

I Don't Think So...lol

Airbrushler
Retired
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 9:01 pm

maybe twice as much...lol

Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 9:16 pm

I've bought HL basic tanks for projects, or to keep as is, from Curtis here, Rc Dynasty and Intnova (both on eBay) several times and they're a good source.

The HL T-34 in basic is a great runner, you saw mine on Saturday and it zips around. I've invest under $100 between new gearboxes and motors on it. Taigen's new metal version is the best deal out there... Curtis has these?? I think Wink

Again try to read lots! Come back and let us know which models interest you, and we can give specific suggestions.

Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 9:59 pm

Airbrushler wrote:
OK lets check that out then shall we
HL Tank $120 bucks plastic or $170 bucks metal tracks and pot metal gears ( shipping and tax extra which I am not including, Most models are way beyond these prices as well )

So Metal tracks are roughly 90 bucks, Gears are anywhere from 60 to 75 for a decent set, motors are 30 to 40 bucks
Electronic control board goes as low as 50 bucks for a basic mako to as much 400 but usually around 100 bucks
servos are 15 to 20 bucks, if not then 30 bucks for an asiatam unit
paint and glue, screws etc lets say we spend 25 to 40 bucks
now all of the above is $335.00 and I have only touched on the basics.
We have metal parts, stencils, antenaes, Radios and oodles of other stuff.
Can you build a tank on a budget, yes you can but where is the value in paying for extra add on parts when they can be purchased at a 
lower cost if the initial purchase is made correctly?
Back to top Go down
BattleArmor
Private
BattleArmor

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 10:34 pm

The mistake we make is assuming what other people want.

Quite frankly if we are talking an IR battling tank.

HL Panther, good radio, and a Clark or a DBC3.  Done.

Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 10:56 pm

Freakydude wrote:
Airbrushler wrote:
HL Tank $120 bucks plastic or $170 bucks metal tracks and pot metal gears ( shipping and tax extra which I am not including, Most models are way beyond these prices as well )

So Metal tracks are roughly 90 bucks, Gears are anywhere from 60 to 75 for a decent set, motors are 30 to 40 bucks
Electronic control board goes as low as 50 bucks for a basic mako to as much 400 but usually around 100 bucks
Can you build a tank on a budget, yes you can but where is the value in paying for extra add on parts when they can be purchased at a 

Curtis, if you use your math and get a Taigen tank (about $400), you still need to replace the same electronics as a Heng Long ($100), need the same servos ($15 to $20), same paints, glues and screws ($25 to $40). Now the Taigen tank is around $600, almost twice the cost of what you said the Heng Long would be. In fact it's getting close to the cost of a Taimya, depending on the model.

It's best to start with a base tank you afford, whether it be Heng Long, Taigen, or Taimya. You can always upgrade as you go. The better the base tank you start with the less work and upgrades you need.

Back to top Go down
Airbrushler
Retired
Airbrushler

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 11:04 pm

must be the Scottish in me, my paint ...Dollar store , my Servos $2.34 Hobbyking,  Metal Tracks...not needed, Gearboxes and motors i run stock, never had to buy screws before for anything, Asiatam unit...just give me a servo and some styrene, Stencils...i have a vinyl cutting plotter, Glue ...Dollar store, just need Clark or a DBC3 some metal Drive Sprockets and idlers and good to go

Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 11:48 pm

Stince wrote:
Freakydude wrote:
Airbrushler wrote:

Curtis, if you use your math and get a Taigen tank (about $400), you still need to replace the same electronics as a Heng Long ($100), need the same servos ($15 to $20), same paints, glues and screws ($25 to $40).  Now the Taigen tank is around $600, almost twice the cost of what you said the Heng Long would be.  In fact it's getting close to the cost of a Taimya, depending on the model.

s
My math is good, no way you can convince me that it is better to pay $120 for a plastic tiger then 2 months later spend another 90 for metal tracks when on the initial purchase you can buy the upgraded metal track tiger for $165 or so.
 Taigen tanks are not 400 bucks either, the top end is 500 to 600 and at that price they easily compare to tamiya at twice the cost ( purchased in Canada because we all know you can use the internet to find some deal) the value proposition which is their plastic Tiger is anywhere from 225 to 250. The plastic version is easily head and shoulders above any Heng Long, Mato or WSN
I used to think buying and upgrading was the best to do, until i started selling tanks and parts. Buying a low end and upgrading is a sure way of wasting cash Especially when you are new to the hobby and you are trying to find your likes/dislikes. 
Thats my opinion, Tanks are like hand tools, buy the cheap stuff and replace your tool every time you use it. Buy the good stuff and you have a tool for life.
Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 12:03 am

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
BattleArmor
Private
BattleArmor

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 7:45 am

OK.  I am confused here.  I don't own a Taigen, so need this explained to me.  How exactly is their plastic version head and shoulders above a Heng long??? 

A Heng Long Plastic Tiger is $150.  Please explain the head and shoulder part of what I get when I buy the plastic Taigen Tiger at $250

My perception is that you are paying the extra for the paint job. If there is something else I am getting please explain what that is.

tomzag
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 8:04 am

I still have tamiya tiger, hooben elefant, let me know if you are interested.
Back to top Go down
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am

BattleArmor wrote:
OK.  I am confused here.  I don't own a Taigen, so need this explained to me.  How exactly is their plastic version head and shoulders above a Heng long??? 

A Heng Long Plastic Tiger is $150.  Please explain the head and shoulder part of what I get when I buy the plastic Taigen Tiger at $250

My perception is that you are paying the extra for the paint job. If there is something else I am getting please explain what that is.
ok I will explain. There are some Taigen tanks that are copies of the HL product. These are not the tanks I am talking about.
Taigen Tiger verses the HL Tiger
Taigen                                                                          HL
1.Upgraded pot metal 4 to 1                            standard stock at best you get pot metal but still stock ratio - only taigen has a 4 to 1 pot metal, not the best but way                                                                             better than stock
2.Metal Lower                                                 Plastic - $100 upgrade to equal Taigen
3.Torsion suspension                                       crappy springs that are 12 bucks to upgrade and even then are not decent when the tank is loaded down
4.Track adjusters                                            No track adjusters - $50 upgrade
5.Heavy tracks, plastic but very heavy              plastic tracks 
6.Asiatam style recoil/elevation                        recoil that is actually backwards, elevation is well it works
7.metal gun barrel                                          plastic barrel -$20 upgrade to equal taigen
8.Taigen 2.4 ghz                                            HL is still stuck on an FM band
9.Build quality better on Taigen                       HL Tigers are known for breakdowns or needed repairs straight out of the box
10.In general the Taigen is made of a much more durable plastic than the HL. It runs better, has lower maintenance and breaks less often.
11. Taigen has the quick lift upper                    HL is screwed down unless you spend a couple hours of mod time
The Taigen is clearly a way better VALUE, anybody that has an HL and gets a Taigen immediately realizes that.

Like all manufacturers Taigen has some me too product which I sell as special orders. Their Tiger I have in stock at all times because it is the best value on the market period. Note I said value here, not price. There is a huge difference between those two words.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 11:36 am

The way this is going Yaxx is NOT going to buy any tanks.

Just saying. We should stick to answering questions and not force feed opinions.

MikeC.
Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 12:21 pm

MikeC wrote:
The way this is going Yaxx is NOT going to buy any tanks.

Just saying. We should stick to answering questions and not force feed opinions.

MikeC.

Mike, you are a 100% correct!  I apologize if I contribute to any derailment.

Questions Yaxx we need to know is what kind of budget do you have and what do you want to use it for, IR battling or driving around the backyard?

Back to top Go down
Yaxx
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 1:08 pm

IR! I already realized BB's are fun for 10min and after there is nothing to do...

So here is the deal: I will buy 3x IR ready tanks! (2x for my buddy) I would prefer to buy all from one place! 

1st: Tiger 1 
2nd: T34  http://www.hobbyraw.com/item.jsp?id=19  
3rd: Panzer 3 or 4. really don't care

I found T55A Russian tank! I would buy it as 4th tank ONLY because it's only KIT I found other then Tamiya(too much $$ for someone who just gets into it). I do want to build one, I know I can do it:)
But all reviews about T55 says it's garbage... Is there any rc tank kit not Tamiya's?

I found there is many brands: IMEX, Trumpeter, WSN etc... they all have same model choice, all look same, they all just copy each other??? 

More I read more I am confused... 1/10 rc offroad racing is so much easier to find what you want/need... 
Back to top Go down
tomzag
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Yaxx,
I think Hooben is second best in term of details and quality. T55 is the first kit of hooben, the fit parts on the turret has some issues. the chassis is par with tamiya pershing.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 1:42 pm

Yaxx wrote:
IR! I already realized BB's are fun for 10min and after there is nothing to do...

So here is the deal: I will buy 3x IR ready tanks! (2x for my buddy) I would prefer to buy all from one place! 

I found T55A Russian tank! I would buy it as 4th tank ONLY because it's only KIT I found other then Tamiya(too much $$ for someone who just gets into it). I do want to build one, I know I can do it:)
But all reviews about T55 says it's garbage... Is there any rc tank kit not Tamiya's?

I found there is many brands: IMEX, Trumpeter, WSN etc... they all have same model choice, all look same, they all just copy each other??? 

More I read more I am confused... 1/10 rc offroad racing is so much easier to find what you want/need... 

Yaxx, Hooben also makes an Elephant kit similar to the T55. IMEX also offer their Tiger I as a kit as well.

IMEX is same as Taigen. WSN is the same as Trumpeter. I mean you get the exact same thing under different brand.
Back to top Go down
MikeC
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Here is the IMEX Tiger Kit:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IMEX-12501-1-16-German-Tiger-I-Early-Prod-Metal-Kit-Airsoft-Infrared-NEW-/321520039131?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4adc1674db

Somehow it is more expensive than buying the RTR version from them. Go figure.......

MikeC.
Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 2:00 pm

Yaxx wrote:

There are only 2 places in Canada that I know that you can buy all from one place.

Matomart:
They will all be Heng Longs, which are the low cost tanks but can be made into good runners.  The Tiger would require the most work.

Immortal Hobbies:
Carries some Heng Longs and Taigens, an upgrade version of Heng Longs.  You would have to check with Freakydude (Curtis) to see what he has in stock.

No matter where you buy them you have to change out the electronics if you want battle with the club to  make them IR compatible.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy tanks?   Where to buy tanks? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to buy tanks?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next