Can-Am RC Tank Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAN-AM RC Tank Club is a group of remote control tank enthusiasts that meet together to run our tanks on a miniature battlefield and conduct simulated battles using Infrared combat systems.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Dean's Beast - 1/6 MkI King Tiger
Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeby MikeC Today at 10:51 am

» Field Work Meet Up Thread
Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» 2024 CLUB DUES AND NEW MEMBERS!
Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» New tank headed to DGS Military Hobby paint shop! :-)
Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:37 pm

» Informal Uncertified Battle Days 2024
Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:40 pm

» New Tank for the New Guy!!!
Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm

» April 20th Field work morning and afternoon play!
Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeby Chimo Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

» Cause Of Flooding over The Field
Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeby Hammertime999999999 Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

» COST TO UPGRADE A TANK TO BATTLEFIELD STANDARDS
Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeby dgsselkirk Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Top posting users this month
Hammertime999999999
Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 I_vote_lcapBattle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 I_voting_barBattle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 I_vote_rcap 
Abteilung 506
Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 I_vote_lcapBattle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 I_voting_barBattle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 I_vote_rcap 
dgsselkirk
MikeC
Jarlath
Chimo
AngryMonkey
treemagnet
Shoveler74
Smittyburger

Battle Day Readiness ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
tomzag
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 10:39 pm

Glen,
I really do not know what to say, you are so dedicated to this club, this whole thing. I am really grateful.
Back to top Go down
topher1266
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 10:13 am

I have to say now I can not make the 24th I have a shooting match in Port Colborne first of the season. Curtis we will have to arrange a way for me to get the Sherman before the Oshawa event.
Back to top Go down
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 11:23 am

tomzag wrote:
Glen,
I really do not know what to say, you are so dedicated to this club, this whole thing. I am really grateful.

Thanks

To be honest, since late last summer I have been experiencing "fatigue" from being involved with field preparation, mostly grass cutting.

The field needs to be cut weekly this time of year, which means loading up the mower and going out and spending at least an hour there.  It takes longer the evening before a meet.

This is on top of my own lawn that takes 1 1/2 hours and the other things I have to do, or would like to do.  This would not be too much of a thing if I was retired but that is at least 3 years away.

The tank field has to be cut with a hand mower, since a rider would damage the hills and other "features".

I have been the only one who has been able to consistently come out and cut the grass, for a number of reasons.  This can wear you down after a while.

I am by no means the only one who does things for the club, some others do a lot for the club, as well; to the point where it takes time from them working on their tanks, or running them at meets.

Weather Explanation

Good weather the day of the meet is not enough.

We need good enough conditions the week before the meet to allow the field to be dry enough to prepare and use; I need a rain free Thurs. or Fri. right before the meet to be able to get it cut and trimmed.

I keep track of the weather several times/day, every day for several reasons but one of them is to try to gage the ability to have a meet.

Up until late summer 2013, we became quite used to having excellent weather and it was easy to schedule and call meets.

Starting in Sept. 2013, we started getting large volumes of rain, the ground did not dry out last fall.  This was followed by a winter with a lot of snow, this melted but did not dry out before the spring rains.  We have had 2+ inches of rain this week alone, I still have pools of water on my lawn.

This is why our schedules are messed up and the unpopular decision has to be made to postpone meets.

I really hope that we see a change in these weather patterns, soon, for many reasons.

Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 1:03 am

Glen,  Aye Aye  Aye Aye 
you are the reason why Stince come to battle day every time. hat off to both of you!!!
Back to top Go down
Freakydude
Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 1:10 am

topher I'll mail u and we can work something out
Back to top Go down
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 7:38 am

tomzag wrote:
Glen,  Aye Aye  Aye Aye 
you are the reason why Stince come to battle day every time. hat off to both of you!!!

I want the club to keep going for a lot of reasons, so I normally don't mind doing the maintenance on the field.

After thinking about it, the problem for me started when we began getting larger volumes of rain last September.

Up to last Sept., I have the option of doing the maintenance cuts when it was convenient for me, because the field was usually dry.

With the wet conditions, there are fewer opportunities to work on the field and this competes with the other outside stuff I have, or want, to do; so this makes it much more of a chore.

I am hoping this period of wet weather will come to an end sometime soon, once it does, I will feel better about maintaining the field.

I want to keep things going, I can see retirement approaching in the next 3 or so years, and I plan on the hobby to be one of my key retirement activities.

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 7:51 am

Freakydude wrote:
topher I'll mail u and we can work something out

You may be aware of this but in case you are not, the club where the shoot is is east of Port Colborne, north of Hwy 3, just off Brookfield Rd. and is less than 20 minutes from the tank field.

The only thing is, if he is out on the range, back in the bush, it might be challenging to meet up.

Of course, the big "IF" in that opportunity is will the weather and ground conditions let us hold a May 24th meet.

Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
pzkpfw_steve

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 6:59 pm

as long as someone can give me a ride from Hamilton, I'll come out and help with any landscaping that is needed. just give me a couple days notice.

My Blog

Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Signature
Back to top Go down
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 7:04 pm

pzkpfw_steve wrote:
as long as someone can give me a ride from Hamilton, I'll come out and help with any landscaping that is needed. just give me a couple days notice.

Thanks

Captain
Captain
Stinger

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 7:14 pm

Quote :
So if wanting clear update's on the battle dates is too much to ask them I apologize.

Frank,

If you have a problem or concern with an individual, this forum is not the place for you to post your issues.  Please keep posts professional and matters of a personal concern, leave them to Pm's.

...PM sent.

Stinger

Can-Am Tank Club <<< Web site link

Tiger I | King Tiger | Panther G | PzIII | PzIV | Stug IV | SturmTiger | Pershing/Howitzer | M16 Halftrack | M26 Super Pershing | M48 Patton | M41 Bulldog | Gepard | Leopard | KV-1 | KV-2 |T-34 |
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member2.html
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 9:02 pm

I am watching the weather for a potential meet on May 24th.

It is too early to get a good prediction for the weather but here is the site I watch;

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Buffalo&state=NY&site=BUF&textField1=42.8898&textField2=-78.8597&e=0#.U3qoHvldVL1

So far it has a favourable prediction for the weekend but my concern is that there is a potential for rain on each day, Tues. through Fri., if this is right, it will mess up the field and field prep.

Its too early to tell for sure, as they say, watch this space.

Field Marshal
Field Marshal
dgsselkirk

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 11:25 am

Here is the site I have used for over 10 years for our outdoor events that we merchandise at. Festivals, airshows, etc... I found it to be the most accurate. of all of them.

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/CAXX0143

Too many tanks, not enough time....
Back to top Go down
knispel
Retired
knispel

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 7:07 pm

dgsselkirk wrote:
Here is the site I have used for over 10 years for our outdoor events that we merchandise at. Festivals, airshows, etc... I found it to be the most accurate. of all of them.

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/CAXX0143
THX Dean but still looks like a wash  Sad
Back to top Go down
http://canamtankclub.homestead.com/Member4.html
Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 10:59 am

Lets hope we see an improvement in the weather trends and that we can carry on with the June 14th Meet.

After having very good luck with weather from when we started in the fall of 2010, up to Sept. 2013, we had very good luck with the weather.

Then the bottom fell out of things and we have had to cancel an unprecedented 4 meets in a row, Oct. & Nov. 2013 and April & May 2014.

Thanks, Wayne, for doing a maintenance cut on the field last week, that was on the "dry" day, prior to yesterday's rain.

If we can just get things dried out, it will turn around for us and we can start back into outdoor meets on the field, again

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 5:23 pm

I am very pleased to report that we have had great drying weather here.

Even "the swamp" in the back corner of my yard is dry enough to cut.

Things appear to be looking up, here.

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 7:47 pm

I am charging batteries for the 14th  Very Happy

Captain
Captain
Negaduck

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 8:48 pm

i got my panzer4 all back together but it may be running a the tiger heart. still can't get the KT turret to turn without getting stuck

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 7:40 pm

The field is in good shape and ready for tomorrow.

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 7:01 am

This is a double post, there is an identical one on the Meet announcement thread but I do not want anyone to miss the message;

We are monitoring the weather forecasts closely.

The field is being prepared today but watch this thread and the website for updates.

Before heading out, check these references to avoid disappointment, the weather is changeable this year.

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 5:03 pm

Wayne and I got the field ready today Very Happy

Sgt-Major
Sgt-Major
Freakydude

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 5:13 pm

sorry I am a no go tomorrow. life has booked other appointments on my schedule without my permission. Life out ranks me though so what can I do.....
Back to top Go down
Stince
General
General
Stince

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Glen B wrote:
Wayne and I got the field ready today Very Happy

Thanks guys, much appreciated! thumbs up

Back to top Go down
https://can-amrctankclub.canadian-forum.com
Strato50
General
General
Strato50

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2014 5:46 pm

Freakydude wrote:
sorry I am a no go tomorrow. life has booked other appointments on my schedule without my permission. Life out ranks me though so what can I do.....

Tomorrow or Sunday? It's been postponed Razz

Glen B
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 9:38 pm

In regards to Oct. 4th, I am watching the weather forecast. We need good weather, obviously on the Sat. but also on the Fri. to prep the field.

There are some concerns, but it is early, we will have to make a call on it later this week.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/canada/ontario/fort-erie

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Glen B

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 9:35 pm

I gave the Can Am field its first cut, tonight.

It had got pretty wild since I last saw it about 10 days ago, it had grown like something in the tropics.

Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Can_am10

I usually cut it at a 2" setting (any lower and the wheels on the mower don't roll, the deck slides), I cut my own grass when I use it to trim at 3"; but I had to cut the field at 4", or the mower would stall.

I finished up with it looking like this;

Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Can_am11

Not great, but a starting point.

It is going to take some work to get it into shape for June.

It will have to be cut progressively shorter, and the "hay" dealt with.

PostSubject: Re: Battle Day Readiness ?   Battle Day Readiness ? - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battle Day Readiness ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next